Richard Pankhurst deliberately omits Somalis and Hawiye in his translation of Futuh Al Habesha

Garaad Awal

Zubeyri, Hanafi Maturidi
Hubat isn’t spelled with Ta Marbuta that’s a ي not a ب
The dot is too long to be a ب the writer doesn’t write the dot that long
View attachment 313129
Why would any Arabic writer would write sa7ib Hawiye, it doesn’t even make sense in Arabic. Sa7ib can mean ownership in this context like Sa7ib dukkaan (store owner). It’s clearly mentioning him as the ruler or governer of Hubat. Pankhurst isn’t wrong on that one. Have you ever studied Classical Arabic ?

Why would any Arabic writer would write sa7ib Hawiye, it doesn’t even make sense in Arabic. Sa7ib can mean ownership in this context like Sa7ib dukkaan (store owner). It’s clearly mentioning him as the ruler or governer of Hubat. Pankhurst isn’t wrong on that one. Have you ever studied Classical Arabic nacasyahow?
Hubat is never spelled that way in the text ever only Hawiye is written that way. Can you even read Arabic Hubat doesn’t have a ي or a ب
This is how Hubat is spelled time and time again
650DA31D-F8BE-48D9-BB67-D2A1DA28577C.jpeg

2854BB98-19A3-4565-BB65-778B57C47FF7.jpeg

B51C5819-E894-4480-94A3-91602E3CC4CF.jpeg

AF53ADF6-BD19-4363-90AE-BEA56554E82F.jpeg

A272568C-4119-437A-83CB-213B866D11C8.jpeg

0AEE9B17-4477-41A4-BFE4-F9867A952AFB.jpeg

Garaad Awal

Zubeyri, Hanafi Maturidi
Hubat is never spelled that way in the text ever only Hawiye is written that way. Can you even read Arabic Hubat doesn’t have a ي or a ب
This is how Hubat is spelled time and time again
View attachment 313143
View attachment 313144
View attachment 313149
View attachment 313150
View attachment 313155
View attachment 313156
I can read and I speak Arabic. Spelling at that time and even this document are not standardized the way MSA is today and if you are an Arabic speaker translate what that sentence meant then because Pankhurst translation for it makes the most sense.

الامير صاحب هوية
If you believe this is what it says, translate it into English? 💀 cause you can ask any Arabic speaker this makes zero sense especially as the Futuh constantly mentions leaders as Qa’id, Garaad, Sultan,Émir etc. Nobody uses Sa7ib to denote a leader of a tribe or a people nor does the sentence even say the tribe of Hawiye.

You are grabbing at straws at this point. Second translation error that you mentioned Pankhurst made in the OP, you were correct but it doesn’t mean it’s the same Abu Bakr. One Abu Bakr is an Emir and the other Abu Bakr is a scholar in the land of Abyssinia that is Hawiye according to you or according to Pankhurst from Hubat

I can read and I speak Arabic. Spelling at that time and even this document are not standardized the way MSA is today and if you are an Arabic speaker translate what that sentence meant then because Pankhurst translation for it makes the most sense.

الامير صاحب هوية
If you believe this is what it says, translate it into English? 💀 cause you can ask any Arabic speaker this makes zero sense especially as the Futuh constantly mentions leaders as Qa’id, Garaad, Sultan,Émir etc. Nobody uses Sa7ib to denote a leader of a tribe or a people nor does the sentence even say the tribe of Hawiye.

You are grabbing at straws at this point. Second translation error that you mentioned Pankhurst made in the OP, you were correct but it doesn’t mean it’s the same Abu Bakr. One Abu Bakr is an Emir and the other Abu Bakr is a scholar in the land of Abyssinia that is Hawiye according to you or according to Pankhurst from Hubat
Can you read? I never said the Qadhi and the Ameer were the same. Spelling not being standardized doesn’t make an author randomly switch from writing هوبت to writing هوية. Hubat is consistently written that way except that instance keep coping.
Simple question is this a ب?
0CC3E586-56CA-44DA-9026-6927B1442188.jpeg

Last edited:
i think the abu bakr mentioned in the futuh as "Amir Abu bakr sahib al hawiya" is talking about ajurans.
Al idrisi speaks about bilad al hawiya
And ibn sa'id even goes further saying it controls 50 villages (Qura in arabic is interchangeable with city).
Could also explain why hawiya is sometimes mentioned as a region and why all hawiya are mentioned collectively not like dir you daroods in the futuh.
It's all speculations tho, nothing is for certain.

i think the abu bakr mentioned in the futuh as "Amir Abu bakr sahib al hawiya" is talking about ajurans.
Al idrisi speaks about bilad al hawiya
And ibn sa'id even goes further saying it controls 50 villages (Qura in arabic is interchangeable with city).
Could also explain why hawiya is sometimes mentioned as a region and why all hawiya are mentioned collectively not like dir you daroods in the futuh.
It's all speculations tho, nothing is for certain.

Its Emir Abu Bakr of Hobat. Son of Gasa Omar.

Zaharbou Mohamed Omar, Imam Ahmed Ibrahim Omar and Abubakar Jasa Omar were all cousins.

IMG_2940.jpeg

Last edited:
Its Emir Abu Bakr of Hobat. Son of Gasa Omar.

Zaharbou Mohamed Omar, Imam Ahmed Ibrahim Omar and Abubakar Jasa Omar were all cousins.

View attachment 318182
Did you even read this thread before replying bro???
20240226_003328.jpg

Also no evidence whatsoever that the mentioned emir Abubakar is the cousin of imam ahmed, i don't see how you're connecting the dots here walal.

Did you even read this thread before replying bro???
View attachment 318192
Also no evidence whatsoever that the mentioned emir Abubakar is the cousin of imam ahmed, i don't see how you're connecting the dots here walal.
I did walaal. The Abu Bakar in question is the relative of Imam Ahmed and both are from Hobat. If you have read the Futuh you would have known this. Nothing to do with Ajuuraan as you hypothesised. I came to correct you not @awsaleban667 who is by the way doing a great job!

Last edited:
The Abu Bakar in question is the relative of Imam Ahmed and both are from Hobat.
Neither are from hubat, imam ahmed is from a place called Za'ka while abu bakr being the governor of hubat as pointed out by @awsaleban667 is a mistranslation, it actually calls Him Sahib/lord of Hawiya. (If you've read the thread ofc).
If you have read the Futuh you would have known this.
The futuh never claims that either of abu bakr or imam ahmed are from hubat.

Nothing to do with Ajuuraan as you hypothesised.
My ajuran hypothesis seems to be stronger than whatever claim you've made up there, they're still hypothesis tho.

Neither are from hubat, imam ahmed is from a place called Za'ka while abu bakr being the governor of hubat as pointed out by @awsaleban667 is a mistranslation, it actually calls Him Sahib/lord of Hawiya. (If you've read the thread ofc).

The futuh never claims that either of abu bakr or imam ahmed are from hubat.

My ajuran hypothesis seems to be stronger than whatever claim you've made up there, they're still hypothesis tho.

Brother no offence but you have a lot of studying to do.

Biladul Hawiya is Qundhura Hobat Hararge not ajuran

Ajuran were part of maqdishi,

Not relevant to futuh, only early ifat history

Za'ka is daakhato, babile hobat province

Image.png

Image_1.png

Image_2.png

These are all credible academics

Image_3.png

When Garad Abun suceeded to rule Adal after Mahfuz, Garad Ibrahim moved from Sim to Hobat for 3 months, while the son of Mahfuz ruled Sim. Then when Garad Ibrahim and Abun were martyred they were replaced by Emir Abu Bakr and Imam Ahmed respectively since Imam Ahmed use to return to Hobat during his beef with Walashma

1709013512226.png

Biladul Hawiya is Hawiya Guda district

Last edited:
Brother no offence but you have a lot of studying to do.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Ajuran were part of maqdishi
No they weren't, when I'm talking about bilad al hawiya i mean the accounts of al idrisi and ibn sa'id who made it clear that it was in southern somalia (based on shabelle river).
The correlation I'm making here is Hawiya mentioned by them being the same as Hawiya mentioned by arab faqih. (As both of them speak of it as a region (or a country) not a tribe.
Za'ka is daakhato, babile hobat province

Image.png

Image_1.png

Image_2.png
How much does this so called hubat province extend to? Futuh keeps distinguishing za'ka (imam city) from hubat.
Imam ahmed had to travel through alot of lands to reach The COUNTRY of hubat, so how are they in the same province?
Screenshot_20240227-142756_Drive.jpg

When sultan abu bakr heard imam ahmed is in the country of hubat (very far place) he burned down za'ka so how are they in the same province?
Screenshot_20240227-142842_Drive.jpg

Is that why you avoid primary sources? Cuz it doesn't fit with your narrative?

Image_3.png

When Garad Abun suceeded to rule Adal after Mahfuz, Garad Ibrahim moved from Sim to Hobat for 3 months, while the son of Mahfuz ruled Sim. Then when Garad Ibrahim and Abun were martyred they were replaced by Emir Abu Bakr and Imam Ahmed respectively since Imam Ahmed use to return to Hobat during his beef with Walashma
Abun, ibrahim (father or imam) and mahfuz aren't related nor did the father of imam rule hubat.
Start using primary sources rather than quoting whatever these are.

No they weren't, when I'm talking about bilad al hawiya i mean the accounts of al idrisi and ibn sa'id who made it clear that it was in southern somalia (based on shabelle river).
The correlation I'm making here is Hawiya mentioned by them being the same as Hawiya mentioned by arab faqih. (As both of them speak of it as a region (or a country) not a tribe.

How much does this so called hubat province extend to? Futuh keeps distinguishing za'ka (imam city) from hubat.
Imam ahmed had to travel through alot of lands to reach The COUNTRY of hubat, so how are they in the same province?
View attachment 318261

When sultan abu bakr heard imam ahmed is in the country of hubat (very far place) he burned down za'ka so how are they in the same province?
View attachment 318262
Is that why you avoid primary sources? Cuz it doesn't fit with your narrative?

Abun, ibrahim (father or imam) and mahfuz aren't related nor did the father of imam rule hubat.
Start using primary sources rather than quoting whatever these are.
1. Hawiye is mentioned as a tribe with infantrymen and a country. To assume the Hawiye being spoken about is from South Somalia is a view no academic holds, purely because the somali clans called onto the war like dir = gurgure, madigan (masare), barsuug, darod = jidwaq, harti, MX, Geri etc are all western somalia clans or specifically mentioned via location otherwise. It took them days to get to Harar living in the Ogaden region, anyone coming from the South would take even longer. Hirabu did not run all the way to Koonfur but stayed among the Imams extended kin. The Hawiye mentioned by Ibn Said was centuries prior and it refers to a land of Hawiye (Idrisi), a coast of Hawiye (Dimashqi) and a tribe of Berbers in Merca (Saidi). You are making false equivalences to assume a 300 yr old reference is the same reference as the Futuh. They are even spelt slightly different, with the Futuh having more accurate spelling which suggests the Futuh was more familiar with the clan than the outset.

2. Claiming Abun, Mahfuz and Ibrahim al Ghazi aren't related? Have you read the letter of Wasan Seged to Imam Ahmed? When he says it was Wasan himself who conspired to have his brother Abun killed. Abun and Imam Ahmed were cousins but sometimes referred to as brothers, like Zaharbo Mohamed is a cousin but also a brother in the same context. Imam Ahmed looked up to Mahfuz, married his daughter (his niece) and took the same title as him. The leadership changed several times between the sons of Walashma rulers and Karanle before Imam Ahmed rose. Why would one party have kinsmen defending their ascension while the other party would be unrelated yet taking revenge on each others behalf?

3. The journey from Hubat to the Sultans town is from Dakkar/Dogor, which is Awdal region. From Zeila it would be a few days as its to the sea.

4. Collecting historical references that are in collaboration is a more accurate measure of history than interpreting the futuh by oneself without an intermediate or an expert on the classical arabic and original copy like Ahmed Shami.

1. Hawiye is mentioned as a tribe with infantrymen and a country. To assume the Hawiye being spoken about is from South Somalia is a view no academic holds, purely because the somali clans called onto the war like dir = gurgure, madigan (masare), barsuug, darod = jidwaq, harti, MX, Geri etc are all western somalia clans or specifically mentioned via location otherwise. It took them days to get to Harar living in the Ogaden region, anyone coming from the South would take even longer. Hirabu did not run all the way to Koonfur but stayed among the Imams extended kin. The Hawiye mentioned by Ibn Said was centuries prior and it refers to a land of Hawiye (Idrisi), a coast of Hawiye (Dimashqi) and a tribe of Berbers in Merca (Saidi). You are making false equivalences to assume a 300 yr old reference is the same reference as the Futuh. They are even spelt slightly different, with the Futuh having more accurate spelling which suggests the Futuh was more familiar with the clan than the outset.

2. Claiming Abun, Mahfuz and Ibrahim al Ghazi aren't related? Have you read the letter of Wasan Seged to Imam Ahmed? When he says it was Wasan himself who conspired to have his brother Abun killed. Abun and Imam Ahmed were cousins but sometimes referred to as brothers, like Zaharbo Mohamed is a cousin but also a brother in the same context. Imam Ahmed looked up to Mahfuz, married his daughter (his niece) and took the same title as him. The leadership changed several times between the sons of Walashma rulers and Karanle before Imam Ahmed rose. Why would one party have kinsmen defending their ascension while the other party would be unrelated yet taking revenge on each others behalf?

3. The journey from Hubat to the Sultans town is from Dakkar/Dogor, which is Awdal region. From Zeila it would be a few days as its to the sea.

4. Collecting historical references that are in collaboration is a more accurate measure of history than interpreting the futuh by oneself without an intermediate or an expert on the classical arabic and original copy like Ahmed Shami.
Haye bro, believe whatever you want as I'm not here to convince or anything anyways.

Haye bro, believe whatever you want as I'm not here to convince or anything anyways.

I’m sorry but it sounded like you tried to convince yourself. You’re trying to find a needle in a haystack. Straw man tactics don’t work on this sub forum. There is a lot more evidence that can be put together to show the history of the Hawiye in the region. Anyone that debates about Ahmed Gurey and his forefathers, cousins & nephews as being something else can never come to an agreement on their background. Ahmed Gurey was not a random man out of the jungle that took power from nowhere like Siyaad Barre who took power through a coup. The guy had a “sulaalat” which means he had a chain of command, chain of rulership, chain of leaders. Adal was a big state, arguably one of the largest empires in Africa. You think a random unknown person could just take power? This is a tribal based society. Everyone has to know who you are from your father to your forefathers before you can even talk.

Abu Bakr mentioned by OP is circled in blue on the family tree drawn by Ahmed Sami which is in accordance with Futuh and the Karanle themselves.

IMG_4497.jpeg

I’m sorry but it sounded like you tried to convince yourself. You’re trying to find a needle in a haystack. Straw man tactics don’t work on this sub forum. There is a lot more evidence that can be put together to show the history of the Hawiye in the region. Anyone that debates about Ahmed Gurey and his forefathers, cousins & nephews as being something else can never come to an agreement on their background. Ahmed Gurey was not a random man out of the jungle that took power from nowhere like Siyaad Barre who took power through a coup. The guy had a “sulaalat” which means he had a chain of command, chain of rulership, chain of leaders. Adal was a big state, arguably one of the largest empires in Africa. You think a random unknown person could just take power? This is a tribal based society. Everyone has to know who you are from your father to your forefathers before you can even talk.

Abu Bakr mentioned by OP is circled in blue on the family tree drawn by Ahmed Sami which is in accordance with Futuh and the Karanle themselves.

View attachment 318295
I know if i responded to you, you'll just repeat the same thing again and again which i honestly don't want to engage in.
Your level of revisionism to claim abun adashe is related to imam or that his father was ruler of hubat is beyond me not to forget you claiming emir abu bakr is that man in al shamsi genealogy? (Which have no basis actually) or that mahfuz is related to all mentioned figures, lol is this game of thrones where all are just cousins? Or are you claiming that so all of them could be "Karanle" through the hypothesis of ahmed being Karanle?
Again I'm not here to convince anyone nor my ownself (why would i convince myself?) So it's up to you, it's not like you'll change your view if this was debunked anyways walal.

I know if i responded to you, you'll just repeat the same thing again and again which i honestly don't want to engage in.
Your level of revisionism to claim abun adashe is related to imam or that his father was ruler of hubat is beyond me not to forget you claiming emir abu bakr is that man in al shamsi genealogy? (Which have no basis actually) or that mahfuz is related to all mentioned figures, lol is this game of thrones where all are just cousins? Or are you claiming that so all of them could be "Karanle" through the hypothesis of ahmed being Karanle?
Again I'm not here to convince anyone nor my ownself (why would i convince myself?) So it's up to you, it's not like you'll change your view if this was debunked anyways walal.
Its actually revisionism to deny the sulaalat. Saying those men are not related is like saying Sultan Abu Bakr, Sacadudiin, Badlay, Al Kownayn etc had nothing to do with each other. Ppl can dispute his tribal background with their own suggestions if they have manuscripts or documents, never seen one from them but folks surely do love this topic yet never prove themselves, but denying his immediate and extended family members is unheard of. Like i said Ahmed Gurey is not Siad Barre. One came to power in a coup as an unknown officer, the other was a descendant of rulers, married into ruling families and left sons and brothers who ruled after him. You're going against Occams Razor to find inconsistencies and yet you're unable to draw an alternative view of what we know. You are against the seed of my standpoint so all you seek is to make history "unknown". News flash, this was less than a millenia ago. Even Shami a Harari of Turkish/Arab origin could access ottoman and portugese records while you are misreading badly translated english versions of a Futuh unoriginal copy. Humble yourself!

Futuh keeps distinguishing za'ka (imam city) from hubat.
I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here Za’ka being the Imam’s city doesn’t imply the Imam’s hometown it could have just been his base latter on Harar is referred to as his city numerous times
BA1EE39E-EC73-4416-B231-D48380971FC8.jpeg

View attachment 318205
On the other hand however Mohammed Hassen is the farthest thing from a credible source case in point in the above section he refers to Imam Ahmed’s father as Ibn Al Ghazi however Al Ghazi was a title and not a part of the Imam’s lineage. The Imam’s father was a Garaad as was his older brother but there is nothing to imply he was from Sim.
Mohammed Hassen in general chock full of errors for example he calls Wazir Abbas, who was the Imams nephew, his uncle.
F0F9FAAF-67EA-4378-8AED-50AF84319478.jpeg

Not to mention that he pushes the laughably bad Harari theory claiming without even a shred of Evidence that Garaad Kamil and Emir Mujahid and consequently Nur ibn Mujahid were Harari/Adare.
ADE96435-DF16-4523-8675-0E1F218BBE0C.jpeg

When he says it was Wasan himself who conspired to have his brother Abun killed. Abun and Imam Ahmed were cousins but sometimes referred to as brothers, like Zaharbo Mohamed is a cousin but also a brother in the same context.
This is in fact false There are two different Abuns. The one who is referred to as brother is Wazir ABBAs’s father Abun ibn Ibrahim while the other is Abun ibn Adish. Wasan Sagad also never killed Abun ibn Adish because Sultan Abu Bakr did.

Now does this mean that they definitely weren’t related? No, it’s possible maybe even probable they could have been but the Wasan Sagad letter isn’t strong evidence for it

I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here Za’ka being the Imam’s city doesn’t imply the Imam’s hometown it could have just been his base latter on Harar is referred to as his city numerous times
BA1EE39E-EC73-4416-B231-D48380971FC8.jpeg
Not the same, they're saying it's his city cuz he's the ruler of it at this point, right?
Za'ka was where imam home was located at
Screenshot___Samsung_Notes-14.jpg

Imam home was located in za'ka day journal from the town of sultan (talking about harar) see? Harar was his city cuz he ruled it, not his home town like za'ka.
Screenshot_20240227-142756_Drive.jpg

On the other hand however Mohammed Hassen is the farthest thing from a credible source case in point in the above section he refers to Imam Ahmed’s father as Ibn Al Ghazi however Al Ghazi was a title and not a part of the Imam’s lineage. The Imam’s father was a Garaad as was his older brother but there is nothing to imply he was from Sim.
Mohammed Hassen in general chock full of errors for example he calls Wazir Abbas, who was the Imams nephew, his uncle.
F0F9FAAF-67EA-4378-8AED-50AF84319478.jpeg

Not to mention that he pushes the laughably bad Harari theory claiming without even a shred of Evidence that Garaad Kamil and Emir Mujahid and consequently Nur ibn Mujahid were Harari/Adare.
ADE96435-DF16-4523-8675-0E1F218BBE0C.jpeg
Even the man you were praising pointed out your revisionism lol, @Step a side

Trending

Latest posts