It’s sad how Somalia was blessed with being one of the most homogeneous countries....

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
And we are still fighting each other and unstable. Mostly everyone is the same ethnicity and religion and yet we fight

This is a myth. Somalia is very ethnically diverse. Hawiye, Darod, Dir, Isaaq and D&M are, for all intents and purposes, standalone ethnic groups.

Bosniaks, Serbs and Croats are ethnic groups although they are probably genetically identical and speak the same language. The centuries long conflicts between the Somali speaking peoples have created identities that are often more powerful than the average ethnic identity.

This is a myth. Somalia is very ethnically diverse. Hawiye, Darod, Dir, Isaaq and D&M are, for all intents and purposes, standalone ethnic groups.

Bosniaks, Serbs and Croats are ethnic groups although they are probably genetically identical and speak the same language. The centuries long conflicts between the Somali speaking peoples have created identities that are often more powerful than the average ethnic identity.

Those Somali groups are just clans and every tribe has them; they are certainly not "standalone ethnic groups". The Dinka have 25 clans and we all understand each other despite regional variations. I can't communicate with a Nuer or Shilluk without a translator.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Somali language intelligible across the board?

Somalia is homogeneous.

You actually have a point about the Slavic languages and how similar they actually are:

Last edited:
Being homogeneous doesn't mean we have to be under the same roof and we're always independent from each other until the colonials came and the 1960 union

Well tbh somalis were
And we are still fighting each other and unstable. Mostly everyone is the same ethnicity and religion and yet we fight
Well tbh somalis were never united.yes we spoke the same language. But were never all ruled from one city. By one man

reer

VIP
Being homogeneous doesn't mean we have to be under the same roof and we're always independent from each other until the colonials came and the 1960 union
somalis have never been united. in 1960 approximately half of somali territories were under christian fascists and still is. the first modern grassroots cross-clan state was the dervish state which fell.

somalis have never been united. in 1960 approximately half of somali territories were under christian fascists and still is. the first modern grassroots cross-clan state was the dervish state which fell.
Yeah the dervish weren't exactly that of a state state but semi state with sayyidka being the spiritual leader of the movement as his job was to spread the new Sufi order Salahiyya to Somali people who were largely Qadariya followers

reer

VIP
Yeah the dervish weren't exactly that of a state state but semi state with sayyidka being the spiritual leader of the movement as his job was to spread the new Sufi order Salahiyya to Somali people who were largely Qadariya followers
sayidka gained power and diplomatic relations with germans and ottomans introduced conscription in territories under him.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
Somalia is hardly homogenous, we have a lot of clans.

Kulahaa ethnic groups, waa wareey.

preview.jpg

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
Someone telling me that cumar maxmuud and sacad have more in common with marexaan and abgaal, is crazy.

These niggas have taken qabiil fkd to the "we ain't same ethnicity" level.

What's next, telling your work colleagues "I'm an ethnic Darood from Somalia"

:drakekidding:

This is utterly false, The biggest divider amonst yugoslavs are culture and religion, so much so when a serb converts to Catholicism or islam, they also change ethnicities.
Secondly croatia is culturally influenced by central europe and Catholicism, whereas bosnia the ottoman empire, and serbia orthodox christian culture.

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
The longest coastline as well but we hardly make use of it. Best wind and solar potential in africa, yet we wasted 30 yrs on a useless familial dispute. 1/4 of the world's uranium reserves that could make 200,000+ nukes or could be utilised for nuclear energy purposes.

Sometimes I wonder. What would the world look like if somalis had their shit together.

:hmm:

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Someone telling me that cumar maxmuud and sacad have more in common with marexaan and abgaal, is crazy.

These niggas have taken qabiil fkd to the "we ain't same ethnicity" level.

What's next, telling your work colleagues "I'm an ethnic Darood from Somalia"

:drakekidding:

My clan borders Oromo in Baale and Kamba in Kitui. To me Hawiye are no different, just another group we border.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
My clan borders Oromo in Baale and Kamba in Kitui. To me Hawiye are no different, just another group we border.

A group that you share the same language, culture, religion and even relations with.

Even if we were different ethnicities, the amount of intermarriage done between each qabiil makes your point moot.

I’ll repeat: As an Cumar Maxmuud, there is no way I have more in common with MX than Sacad which I share a gobol and magaalo with.

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
Homogenous Countries are like South Korea, unfied and properly united, this is without their brothers up North as well. We are " Africa's most culturally homogeneous country", but these branches of clans makes us more "standalone", example being what does a person from Somaliland have in relation to a person in Gedo or Nugal except for the word Somali? Or a person in Hirran, what relations do they have with a person from Djibouti or NFD except the word Somali? And vice versa. We all come under clans such as Darood or Hawiye or Issaq but come unified under a Somali banner. Which makes it Culturally homogenous. Even a Bantu, well a Somali Bantu, comes under that banner. Key term here is "Culturally". But we ain't Homogenous in the same way as South Korea or Japan.

World

VIP
Historically, we’ve always been nomadic pastoralists so we don’t really benefit from being a homogenous country. We have fought each other for thousands of years and have been divided by clan since forever. You can’t change that in 60 years. Maybe if our country was wetter and more fertile, our people would not be nomads but be peasants/farmers like habeshas and would have been ruled and domesticated for thousands of years by various kingdoms. If that were the case then we would be a much more successful nation.

Trending