Egypt to establish military base in Eritrea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Egypt gets green light to establish a military base in Eritrea; reports suggest Somalia has rejected Cairo requests
HOME | NEWS TUESDAY 18 APRIL 2017
Egypt to establish military base in Eritrea

By Tesfa-Alem Tekle

April 17, 2017 (ADDIS ABABA) – The Red Sea Afar Democratic Organization (RSADO), an Eritrean opposition group, claimed on Monday that the Red Sea nation had allegedly granted Egypt green light to build a military base within the country’s territory.

egyptian_president_abdel_fattah_al-sisi_reuters-fb6f9.jpg

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi (Photo Reuters)
Officials from the opposition group, quoting “reliable” sources in Eritrea, claimed Asmara has allowed Cairo to acquire a military base in Nora locality at the Dahlak Island for an indefinite period of time.

The agreement, RSADO further said, comes in the wake of last week’s high-level visit of the Egyptian delegation to Eritrea.

An estimated 20,000 to 30,000 Egyptian naval forces will be deployed at the planned base, officials from the group hinted.

As it had long been anticipated and if true, Egypt will be Africa’s first and third Arab country to build a military facility in the reclusive East African nation, currently under United Nations sanctions for arming and financing Al-Shabab, a terrorist group allied with al-Qaeda.

According to previous U.N reports, Eritrea has already leased its port town of Assab to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to establish military bases to ease their coalition battle against Houthi rebels in Yemen.

Concerned by Saudi and UAE military presence in Eritrea, Ethiopia warned the two Arab nations against supporting what it said was "Asmara’s long-standing destabilising agenda against Ethiopia".

Recently, Egyptian leaders have reportedly been engaged in diplomatic efforts for regional countries including Somalia, Somaliland and Djibouti to grant them a military and commercial base in their selected soil. However, none of Cairo’s efforts were reportedly successful, prompting the opposition group to disclose this matter.

Some Ethiopian politicians argue that Egypt’s growing interest to secure military incursion in the Horn of Africa intends to contain Ethiopia’s massive hydro-power project, which Cairo fears the multi-billion dollar dam project being built along Nile River would eventually diminish historic water shares of the North African nation.

Redda Mulgeta, a member of Ethiopia’s ruling Peoples Republican Democratic Front (EPRDF), says Cairo’s motive to have a military presence in Eritrea was clear.

"Egyptian leaders’ motive to have a military base in the soil of rival Eritrea is to sabotage the construction of Ethiopia’s mega dam project by supporting Eritrea sponsored anti-Ethiopian elements and al-Qaeda-allied Somali militant group,” Mulgeta told Sudan Tribune.

"Egypt is conspiring with Eritrea to subject Ethiopia engage in proxy war with its enemy Eritrea, local armed opposition groups and further with al-Shabaab", he added.

Meanwhile, despite the various U.N reports, Eritrea has previously dismissed revelations that it has leased lands for foreign countries.

Relations between Ethiopia and Eritrea has remained odd after 1998-2000 border war, which killed an estimated over 70,000 people.

(ST)

Latest Comments & Analysis

Darfur, the most ‘successful’ genocide in a century2017-04-21 23:16:47By Eric Reeves The Darfur region of western Sudan has been recognized since 2004 as the site of genocide since 2004 by dozens of political officials and bodies (including the U.S. Congress and (...)

Open Letter to AU and IGAD: Festus Mogae be relieved and JMEC disbanded 2017-04-21 23:12:39By Dak Buoth It is an opportune time for President Festus Mogae, the Chair of the Joint Monitoring and Evaluation commission (JMEC) to pack and go back where he came from. And if he so wishes to (...)

The Nile Basin In Transformation: research uptake and what’s at stake?2017-04-20 14:55:55Mohamed s. M. Yassin (Ph.D) The Nile basin territories have witnessed huge transformation since prehistoric era and continue to be subjected to enormous transformations. The

Ogaden people get ready, it is matter of time before the Ethiopian regime will fail. It is your only chance to break through like Eritrea in 90s. Be your own country or join Somalia it is your choice.

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
While Ogadens make the majority of the region (Soomali-Galbeed), they don't have simple majority. That said, I would like the region be free of Habashi infestation.

If they join Somalia without taking into consideration the political reality on the ground, the Isa in Shinile zone/Dire Dawa would want to join Djibouti; Harawo/Awbare would want to join their cousins in Awdal and Haud would want to be part of Somaliland.

I strongly urge Somalis in DDSI as it is currently called to not join Somalia. You got to be out of your mind to join Somalia with all its warts. Trail your own blaze by becoming an independent country with close ties to other Somali countries in the Horn.

There is unintended (perhaps intended) consequence if we have 4 or 5 sovereign Somali nations in the Horn. We can counter-balance the Bantus that cock block us in the AU when a Somali interest is debated. This way we can align with Oromos, and northern Africans and some Muslim west-African nations to at least mount some challenge against Bantu political block in the AU and UN.

Last edited:
While Ogadens make the majority of the region (Soomali-Galbeed), they don't have simple majority. That said, I would like the region be free of Habashi infestation.

If they join Somalia without taking into consideration of the political reality on the ground, the Isa in Shinile zone/Dire Dawa would want to join Djibouti; Harawo/Awbare would want to join their cousins in Awdal and Haud would want to be part of Somaliland.

I strongly urge Somalis in DDSI as it is currently called to not join Somalia. You got to be out of your mind to join Somalia with all its warts. Trail your own blaze by becoming an independent country with close ties to other Somali countries in the Horn.

There is unintended (perhaps intended) consequence if we have 4 or 5 sovereign Somali nations in the Horn. We can counter-balance the Bantus that cock block us in the AU when a Somali interest is debated. This way we can align with Oromos, and northern Africans and some Muslim west-African nations to at least mount some challenge against Bantu political block in the AU and UN.

We will wait and see

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
@Xaagi-Cagmadigtee So the Shabelle river will be shared between Ethiopia, Somalia and another independent Somali nation? Same with Jubba river? I agree that perhaps joining Somalia NOW will not be wise, but it's an inevitable. Pakistan is destabilising Afghanistan since their waters originate from there, Egypt is a downstream nation of the Nile and has opened a base in Eritrea since they fear the Ethiopian dam. It's better if Somali regions are one, in fact it would even be in our interest to control the sources of our rivers itself.

@Xaagi-Cagmadigtee So the Shabelle river will be shared between Ethiopia, Somalia and another independent Somali nation? Same with Jubba river? I agree that perhaps joining Somalia NOW will not be wise, but it's an inevitable. Pakistan is destabilising Afghanistan since their waters originate from there, Egypt is a downstream nation of the Nile and has opened a base in Eritrea since they fear the Ethiopian dam. It's better if Somali regions are one, in fact it would even be in our interest to control the sources of our rivers itself.
Its maybe for their participation in yemen
this news may not turn out to be true but who knows,
Dynamics of africa changinge everywhere currently

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho

The source of the rivers are not even in Somali lands. We have to respect the territorial integrity of Oromia. Yeah, they come from Bale mountains but for what I know it is Oromo land.

I see no difference between formation of Oromia, Western-Somali Republic and proper Somalia sharing waters from these rivers or one country sharing same volume of water. It would have to be explicitly stated in our respective constitutions of each region's inalienable rights to these waters. All involved parties must respect the final decision. There will periodical reviews of the agreement but any changes must be mutually amicable to said countries.

Joining Somalia is suicidal at the moment.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
The source of the rivers are not even in Somali lands. We have to respect the territorial integrity of Oromia. Yeah, they come from Bale mountains but for what I know it is Oromo land.

I see no difference between formation of Oromia, Western-Somali Republic and proper Somalia sharing waters from these rivers or one country sharing same volume of water. It would have to be explicitly stated in our respective constitutions of each region's inalienable rights to these waters. All involved parties must respect the final decision. There will periodical reviews of the agreement but any changes must be mutually amicable to said countries.

Joining Somalia is suicidal at the moment.
It's fictional to think that there will be an "Oromia". If Somalis who share the same religion, same culture, same genetics can't get along, then how do you think assimilated nilotes, Habeshas, Somalis etc who have different religions, cultures etc will unite under one state? "Oromo" is an idea that only came about 20 years ago. Anything West of Arsi will always be part of Ethiopia since they are mostly Christian and have historically been part of Abyssinia. They don't want to secede either.

Personally I don't care wtf they do with their land or state, but these people are claiming Somali land. We share a long border with them, and they are trying to Oromize Somali clans, or those with mixed identities. When Ethiopia disintegrates who will take Dire Dawa, the second largest city? I guess you see what I mean now.

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
I don't give much thought nor care how Oromos govern themselves. All I want is the Somali region back. And, if it is better off being independent, so be it.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
I don't give much thought nor care how Oromos govern themselves. All I want is the Somali region back. And, if it is better off being independent, so be it.
Nor do I. It would be in our interests to have a good ally, but these people are claiming Somali lands for themselves. The Habesha have always favoured them over us, and have given them our land, yet they want even more. It is like their thirst cannot be quenched.

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
Nor do I. It would be in our interests to have a good ally, but these people are claiming Somali lands for themselves. The Habesha have always favoured them over us, and have given them our land, yet they want even more. It is like their thirst cannot be quenched.

I understand your concerns. If Christian Oromos (west of Arsi as you noted) stay as one with their Habashi cousins, we are then left dealing with the Arsi, Borona perhaps, and Afran Qallo, right? These are mostly Muslim and we can talk and come up with mutual agreement about our borders, including Dira Dawe. I believe this is what is happening at the moment at the federal level. In fact, there was an agreement just few days ago.

But how does the political calculus change if DDSI joined Somalia?

Bohol

VIP
Eritrea is a sovereign country that can defend itself from any Ethiopian aggression, so there is nothing the Ethios can do.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
I understand your concerns. If Christian Oromos (west of Arsi as you noted) stay as one with their Habashi cousins, we are then left dealing with the Arsi, Borona perhaps, and Afran Qallo, right? These are mostly Muslim and we can talk and come up with mutual agreement about our borders, including Dira Dawe. I believe this is what is happening at the moment at the federal level. In fact, there was an agreement just few days ago.

But how does the political calculus change if DDSI joined Somalia?
If that were the case, then I'd be fine with that. But the problem is that the only people with power amongst the Oromos are those West of Arsi, they were the ones who were part of Ethiopia and conquered the others(including their own Oromo brethens). And these Muslims are completely lost, no direction, and with no identity of their own. They would get exploited by the Christian Oromos and the Amharas to expand East into Somali lands.

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
If that were the case, then I'd be fine with that. But the problem is that the only people with power amongst the Oromos are those West of Arsi, they were the ones who were part of Ethiopia and conquered the others(including their own Oromo brethens). And these Muslims are completely lost, no direction, and with no identity of their own. They would get exploited by the Christian Oromos and the Amharas to expand East into Somali lands.

All the more reason why Somalis should drive a wedge between our fellow Muslim Oromos and fifth column Christian Oromos. We should disabuse them from the notion of one Oromia, because none ever existed in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending