Yibir and Midgan dialects/languages

(This post is not meant to offend any Yibir or Midgan, it simply an analysis of a colonial era book on the Somali language, and it's dialects)

This goes into a previous post I made. A book on Somali grammar by a British officer(J.W.C Kirk) in the early 20th century includes many examples, sentances, and stories, in the Yibir and Midgan languages, the language of the outcast Yibir and Midgan clans.

The Yibir and Midgan all speak Somali alongside their own language, which they kept/keep secret from other Somalis. And according to Kirk, he had to promise not to tell any Somali not of Yibir or Midgan descent anything about their language.

According to him, the vocabulary of the Yibir is faily complete, although poorer than Somali. The Midgan, on the other hand, is extremely deficient. A large number of words have to have several meanigs. And the Yibir and Midgan seem to not occupy and definite tract of land, and live across the country as beggers, ocasionally hired by Somalis for work.

Here is some example words in Yibir:
dalanga : any animal or bird
agar - tihng stuff, food, etc
à - family, home, flocks, belongings, baggage, property
awas - any vegetable, tree, grass, wood.
iftin - light, sun(fem), moon(masc), star, rupee, silver, money (as ajdective - bright or white)
ilahh - fire, gun
mid - exist, be, stop, stand
tomàla - anything hard, hill, stone
lawo - water, rain, river, year

Here are some example words in Midgan:
hangaguri - any wild beast
nas - thing, place, time, town
ghoribirro - wood and anything made of wood, tree, bow, shaft of spear, thorn
gosad - iron, knife, any iron tool
gomosimo - water, rain, river
ghan - good, large, heavy, far, white, hot, full
neghatal - bad, small, light, near, black, cold, empty
makabur - stone, hill, money, rupee

Example sentances in Midgan:
Higge ka so cidibtei - Where have you come from?
Alowa ba so cidbeya - A Midgan is coming
Naskas i kul - Give me that
Higgan so duhur - Come here.

Example sentances in Yibir:
ma yafantahai - are you well?
ma yafnan ba? so yafnan miya? - is it peace?
Higge u bidbideinesa - Where are you going
Hugga dugageigu wa tededheya - I myself am going there
Mahhad fedhesa - What do you want
----------

It's been 115 years since this book was written. Have the Yibir and Midgan assimilated into Somali society?

Last edited:

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
(This post is not meant to offend any Yibir or Midgan, it simply an analysis of a colonial era book on the Somali language, and it's dialects)

This goes into a previous post I made. A book on Somali grammar by a British officer(J.W.C Kirk) in the early 20th century includes many examples, sentances, and stories, in the Yibir and Midgan languages, the language of the outcast Yibir and Midgan clans.

The Yibir and Midgan all speak Somali alongside their own language, which they kept/keep secret from other Somalis. And according to Kirk, he had to promise not to tell any Somali not of Yibir or Midgan descent anything about their language.

According to him, the vocabulary of the Yibir is faily complete, although poorer than Somali. The Midgan, on the other hand, is extremely deficient. A large number of words have to have several meanigs. And the Yibir and Midgan seem to not occupy and definite tract of land, and live across the country as beggers, ocasionally hired by Somalis for work.

iftin - light, sun(fem), moon(masc), star, rupee, silver, money (as ajdective - bright or white)
ilahh - fire, gun

----------

It's been 115 years since this book was written. Have the Yibir and Midgan assimilated into Somali society?
The last sentence is probably just archaic Somali. The verb seems like a Cushitic cognate. Afars would say
« Maxa fadha ? » - What do you want ?
« Ani ko fadha » - I want you (I love you)

A lot of these words and most of the phrases are recognizable to me. Seems like they just have a older vocabulary with less loan words and more pure Somali.

Psychologist

Changemaker
Some of have been while some of us still hold into it, i can speak it just a little tho due to my parents not speaking it a lot im not good at speak at it. but most of my elders speak it. from everywhere madhibaan live they all have common on that. i dont know abput my sub clan but i think they still hold on to it but maybe they don't, i will go see when i go visit them.

ilahh - fire, gun

----------

Yibir and Midgan were always part of somali community but treated as lower caste people who made tools for Aji clans. Those words you posted is their secret way of speaking so Aji somalis don't understand them