HISTORY Yemeni Petition from 1950s Aden Complaining to the British About Lack of Representation

A petition found by Hanan Channel on Tiktok from a Yemeni source describing a quote from the 1950s in the city that goes roughly as follows:

'If the merchant is Somali, the soldiers are Somali and the Qadi is Somali, where will the Yemenis find their rights'

Apparently, the British subsequently removed the Somali Qadi and added more Yemeni soldiers.

A small anecdote but it seems we are a lot of untold and unknown stories in older diaspora communities. There was also some reference to the descendants of Somali settlers of Mukalla forming the town's well to do today and owning much of the land in the city centre.

Attachments

• 50s Aden Positions Somali.png
    50s Aden Positions Somali.png
    290.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I'd have to look into this but this seems a prudent time to also point out that Somalia was in fact the "Bread-basket of Arabia" whether we're talking about Woqooyi, Bari (modern Puntland) or Koonfur.

I also talk about it in my Dhow thread that meat exports to Arabia literally affected the migration patterns and demographics of the northeast when it was experiencing an uptick in trade with Arabia:

No, it's absolutely true and found even in colonial documents:

Livestock from Northwest and Northeast Somalia was so important to the survival of Yemeni ports like Aden that the gaalo plainly stated they'd be finished without Somali exports or if Somali workers and traders, who were everywhere in towns like Aden and Mocha, performed a mass exodus which they indeed threatened at one point when the Brits were about to enact a plan to deport 2,000 Somalis only to pull back on the plan for fear of Aden going under without the Somalis.

The livestock exports from the northeast in particular were so extensive during the mid to late 1800s that it effected clan migrations. As in, MJs began having to migrate more southwards, both overland and via ships, due to the sheer change in dynamics from the massively increased herds and overused land in their native northeast areas.

Even to this day Somalis are still one of the most noticeable meat exporters to places like the UAE and Saudi Arabia even after they've started to get so much from places like New Zealand, Australia, Pakistan and Kazakhstan. I'd often see our meat in Dubai meat markets registered as "Kenyan" or "Ethiopian", kekekekke. And that's not even going into the sheer quantities of grain Arabs were picking up from Koonfur or was sometimes being brought to them by Somalis themselves which the thread on Dhows also touches on.

Last edited:
This seems a prudent time to also point out that Somalia was in fact the "Bread-basket of Arabia" whether we're talking about Woqooyi, Bari (modern Puntland) or Koonfur.

I also talk about it in my Dhow thread that meat exports to Arabia literally affected the migration patterns and demographics of the northeast when it was experiencing an uptick in trade with Arabia:

Even to this day Somalis are still one of the most noticeable meat exporters to places like the UAE and Saudi Arabia even after they've started to get so much from places like New Zealand, Australia, Pakistan and Kazakhstan. I'd often see our meat in Dubai meat markets registered as "Kenyan" or "Ethiopian", kekekekke. And that's not even going into the sheer quantities of grain Arabs were picking up from Koonfur or was sometimes being brought to them by Somalis themselves which the thread on Dhows also touches on.

There was another video I remember seeing from the same source about how a great proportion of the Yemeni-Saudi business tycoons had first arrived in Saudi Arabia from Somalia where they started their businesses

There was also the unfortunate case of the tycoon behind Yemen's main TV channel that has brought out offensive content being someone who was born in Somalia and started his business there.

There was another video I remember seeing from the same source about how a great proportion of the Yemeni-Saudi business tycoons had first arrived in Saudi Arabia from Somalia where they started their businesses

There was also the unfortunate case of the tycoon behind Yemen's main TV channel that has brought out offensive content being someone who was born in Somalia and started his business there.
Isn't it funny how it's easier to find examples of direct somali infleunces than it is the other way around. I even remember somebody on twitter posting an excerpt that talked about there were a lot of big zayl'i scholars in yemen in the 13th century. Which funnily enough coincides with the time of aw barkhalde and these other big somali saints who were supposedly "arab scholars" who brought the deen to us.

Isn't it funny how it's easier to find examples of direct somali infleunces than it is the other way around. I even remember somebody on twitter posting an excerpt that talked about there were a lot of big zayl'i scholars in yemen in the 13th century. Which funnily enough coincides with the time of aw barkhalde and these other big somali saints who were supposedly "arab scholars" who brought the deen to us.
I’m curious, what are the other big Somali saints?

It is surprising how much there is- IIRC there was a Somali scholar with a 1000 page work in Arabic on influential Somalis and what they brought to the Peninsula but unfortunately I have not yet been able to find this work.

There is also probably treasure troves of more historical material in the tabaqat literature.

Several of those Zayli'ci scholars you mentioned held the post of Chief Qadi for the Rasulids (which is not a surprise given the close relations). There's even a sort of hero in Southern Yemen around that time, a knight ('faris') with the name Ibrahim al Zayla'i who apparently led a rebellion.

Find the whole source and full text for that, i want to see what they are directly talking about if that is even is true. I don't do isolated anecdotes or people alleging things for themselves.

I have mentioned this in another thread that Somalis had a sizeable diaspora in different Arab and African countries in the pre-civil war era , that would venture out to look for work opportunities and send back money. Which was common for other groups as well. Seeing that the date is 1950's it might just be that.

Pre-Civil war there was a significant Somali diasporic entrepreneurs who regularly sent back income and connected business back to Somalia from different African nations , Gulf countries. and India. So it's not a recent trend that's needs to be pointed out.

There is also this thread i talk about Somalia and Yemen’s Cross-border Maritime Economy

So this also went both ways there was thousands of Yemenis who would also come to Somalia to find work and to make a living between 1950-1970s. At one point there was 50.000 Yemenis in Somalia and half of them went back to take Yemeni citizenship.

And also i don't think there is a need to stretch and extrapolate Zayla scholars from medieval times on a so called anecdote from 1950s allegedly. We are not talking about the same periods. Not the same social or economic context. Or exaggerate things with with this talk about 1000+ Saints or whatever. Somalis had a marked presence in Aden it's a given and it went both ways.

Last edited:
I'd have to look into this but this seems a prudent time to also point out that Somalia was in fact the "Bread-basket of Arabia" whether we're talking about Woqooyi, Bari (modern Puntland) or Koonfur.

In the past it was usually not just meat exports or even livestock. It was also other agricultural products.

Somalia was the main supplier of grain and other products to Southern Arabia and Yemen. Which basically dubbed southern-central part of Somalia as the ''Grain Coast supplier of Southern Arabia'' from the mid 1800s

AaCOs4H.png

In the medieval times 1500s Northern Somalia used to produce a lot of food of all types, especially various agricultural products and the export of it went to supply Aden and other parts of Arabia to qoute ''A port of much provisions for Aden, and all parts of Arabia'' . So yeah you are right in a way when you say it was the ''breadbasket''
The exorbitant amount of agricultural output in Northern Somalia was also observed by the Portuguese. The general region produced so much food that it exported much of it's surplus to regions nearby.

N2Qw8L5.png

Last edited:

What you say is true. In fact, when I meet older people they talk about this. Do you have a reliable source for Saudi Arabia in particular?

Yemeni scholars had a big impact on Somali society by way of their proliferation and influence of the Shafi Madhab. That’s why texts like Al xadramiyah and safiinatu najat (the ship of salvation) are still prime basic texts for Somalis seeking religious of knowledge. Even the Salafi Somali still try on texts like Safinatu Najat to teach beginner Fiqh. This type of influence is not limited to Somalis, but our proximity did lead to Yemeni scholars having more influence on formative islam in Somalia.

Trending

Latest posts