Yemeni city founded by Somali shiekh in 1250

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฏ | ๐’–๐’†๐’„A๐’—๐’ƒ ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ด
VIP
The Yemeni historian al-sergi writes that Al-Luhayya was founded by the Somali shiekh Umar Zayla-I around 1250

IMG_20231219_022554-1.png

IMG_20231219_024956-1.png

Source:
Rivista degli studi orientali
Vol. 72, Fasc. 1/4 (1998), pp. 41-60 (20 pages)
Published By: Sapienza - Universita di Roma
59bf74f8-eeff-3981-9efe-9b17f32a35c8.gif

NidarNidar

Punisher
Al Zayla'i is nisbah to the city not a lineage, could be from an Arab tribe that inhabited zaylac during that era
Asalamu alekyum Brother. I hope you are doing well. There is not a single mention of a Somali ruler in Zeila prior to the 19th century. Somali nomads entered the city of Zeila after the fall of the Adal sultante. Arab merchants from Yemen founded and built the historic town of Zeila. The word Zeila is literally of Arabic origin.

Various Arab tribes ruled Zeila at different intervals. Similar fortified walls constructed in Mogadishu were built in Zeila to avert nomadic incursions. Banu Aqeel, Banu Makhzum, Mawyanni, and various other Arab tribes historically ruled Zeila.

The Sheikh that he is referring to is an Arab who inhabited the city of Zeila and traveled to Yemen.

Last edited:
Asalamu alekyum Brother. I hope you are doing well. There is not a single mention of a Somali ruler in Zeila prior to the 19th century. Somali nomads entered the city of Zeila after the fall of the Adal sultante. Arab merchants from Yemen founded and built the historic town of Zeila. The word Zeila is literally of Arabic origin.

Various Arab tribes ruled Zeila at different intervals. Similar fortified walls constructed in Mogadishu were built in Zeila to avert nomadic incursions. Banu Aqeel, Banu Makhzum, Mawyanni, and various other Arab tribes historically ruled Zeila.

The Sheikh that he is referring to is an Arab who inhabited the city of Zeila and traveled to Yemen.
ูˆุนู„ูŠูƒู… ุงู„ุณู‘ู„ุงู… ูˆุฑุญู…ุฉ ุงู„ู„ู‡ ูˆุจุฑูƒุงุชู‡

I'm doing well ุงู„ุญู…ุฏู„ู„ู‡

Thanks for the information, do you know anywhere where I can read on the mawyanni tribe of zaylac?

Thanks for the information, do you know anywhere where I can read on the mawyanni tribe of zaylac?
David Hamilton, in his book "Imperialism, Ancient, and Modern: A Study of English Attitudes to the Claims to Sovereignty to the Northern Somali Coastline, states that Arab immigrants revived and rebuilt the city of Zeila in the 10th century. The Arab immigrants he is referring to are the Mawyanni Arabs.

Amda Seyon marched to Zeila and defeated the Mawyanni Arabs in 1332. The decisive military encounter by Amda Seyon led to the beginning of the Muslim and Christian conflict in the Horn. If I find any other sources about the Mawyanni Arabs in Zeila, I will share them with you. I have attached sources showing the Yemeni Arab tribes that historically ruled and inhabited Zeila.
1706304980286.png

1706304963700.png

1706304938053.png

David Hamilton, in his book "Imperialism, Ancient, and Modern: A Study of English Attitudes to the Claims to Sovereignty to the Northern Somali Coastline, states that Arab immigrants revived and rebuilt the city of Zeila in the 10th century. The Arab immigrants he is referring to are the Mawyanni Arabs.

Amda Seyon marched to Zeila and defeated the Mawyanni Arabs in 1332. The decisive military encounter by Amda Seyon led to the beginning of the Muslim and Christian conflict in the Horn. If I find any other sources about the Mawyanni Arabs in Zeila, I will share them with you. I have attached sources showing the Yemeni Arab tribes that historically ruled and inhabited Zeila.
View attachment 312906
View attachment 312905

View attachment 312904
Random bullshit secondary sources vs Al Umari who stated the inhabitants of Zayla spoke Somali

Here is another source on the Mawyanni arabs in Zeila.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240126_222857_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_222857_Photos.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20240126_222939_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_222939_Photos.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 34

IMG_0020.png

Awsa was founded after gragn was killed and his brothers and sons after wasiir cabaas left harar to form a state in aussa modern day afar region in eritrea and ethiopia, by the 18th century they got swallowed by afar dynasties that even took hold of zaila at one point whilst they allowed hawiye to remain as judges in zeila until the pro british ottomans brought an isaaq to lead as sultan.

The Hawiye Harari guy that Burton met was a descendant of the earlier Harar/Awssa Karanle rulers, it explains why they held a dynasty of judges in a town that was clearly surrounded by Gadabursi, Essa and Isaaq in the 19th century!!!!

Afars brokered some kind of deals with Karanle to have them there, possibly because they needed Karanle cooperation in the Awssa areas and weren't familiar with other Somalis, they bordered Issa and Gadabursi for a long time but i think rivalry began with Afar in Sharmarkes time he killed Abu Bakr.

It might have even been by ottoman permission to have Karanle there and not necessarily the Afar who i consider a largely wild and anti Somali race

View attachment 312966

Awsa was founded after gragn was killed and his brothers and sons after wasiir cabaas left harar to form a state in aussa modern day afar region in eritrea and ethiopia, by the 18th century they got swallowed by afar dynasties that even took hold of zaila at one point whilst they allowed hawiye to remain as judges in zeila until the pro british ottomans brought an isaaq to lead as sultan.

The Hawiye Harari guy that Burton met was a descendant of the earlier Harar/Awssa Karanle rulers, it explains why they held a dynasty of judges in a town that was clearly surrounded by Gadabursi, Essa and Isaaq in the 19th century!!!!

Afars brokered some kind of deals with Karanle to have them there, possibly because they needed Karanle cooperation in the Awssa areas and weren't familiar with other Somalis, they bordered Issa and Gadabursi for a long time but i think rivalry began with Afar in Sharmarkes time he killed Abu Bakr.

It might have even been by ottoman permission to have Karanle there and not necessarily the Afar who i consider a largely wild and anti Somali rave
A Hawiye was the chief Qadhi of Harar in 1850

Al Zayla'i is nisbah to the city not a lineage, could be from an Arab tribe that inhabited zaylac during that era
Imam Ahmad Al-Zaylai was 100% Somali, according to both the local museum and his biography , the Rahat al Qalb, he was born among the Dasu clan of the RX, in the town of Kidle, 100 miles northwest of Xamar. He was a camel herder as a young man and Sheikh Ismail Maqdashi (a banadir like you @Banadiri Warrior) helped pay for his education in Mecca.

he is buried at Qolonqole in Somalia and he founded the Qadaiya in the region of the Muxammed Zubayr Ogaden, who were being attacked by Menelik (an amhara like you @HabarSteven12 )

as an aside his favorite food was kurus which the Arabs thought he was weird for eating.

Last edited:

Even imam mahfuz of karanle was still governing from zeyla though he was originally from harar. Same with Garad Abun who also ruled from Zeila. Only by ahmed gureys time i believe they moved the capital to harar in 1520s.

Ifat was formed by a partnership of Harar emirate of Abaadir and the Walashma family of Zeila. Harar started off as its own confederate a karanle village with sheikh abadirs sheikhal emirate moving the town forward as a fourth capital of islam.

The division of the Qadiriya order, between Sheikh Sufi, Sheikh Uways and Sheikh Zaylai. Note that Zaylai was given all of inland somalia (Dar Al Sumal) specifically because he was a geeljire

Attachments

• 9C653CDC-4515-431A-9CF6-FDFEDE601E0F.jpeg
    9C653CDC-4515-431A-9CF6-FDFEDE601E0F.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 27
Imam Ahmad Al-Zaylai was 100% Somali, according to both the local museum and his biography , the Rahat al Qalb, he was born among the Dasu clan of the RX, in the town of Kidle, 100 miles northwest of Xamar. He was a camel herder as a young man and Sheikh Ismail Maqdashi (a banadir like you @Banadiri Warrior) helped pay for his education in Mecca.

he is buried at Qolonqole in Somalia and he founded the Qadaiya in the region of the Muxammed Zubayr Ogaden, who were being attacked by Menelik (an amhara like you @HabarSteven12 )

as an aside his favorite food was kurus which the Arabs thought he was weird for eating.

Bro, when can I read this? Is there an online DB that I can acces, if it even means paying for it? Thanks.