XALIIMOS OF S-SPOT have you dare ate in the men’s section in a Somali restaurant? Ofc u didn’t!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there even a men's section? Just cause you guys took it over doesn't mean its for you. In fact, they say public dining and family dining at almost all restaurants. So yes, I sit in the public if I'm with friends, but if I'm with family, I sit with them in the private dining area.

Lol, some of y'all niggas be like "wHaT dO yOU mEAN separaTED by GENder? WHo DoeS thaT?" Like, every single Somali restaurant I've been to has been separated by gender, some of them outright being just male-oriented. What restaurants have you all been to, lol? I only eat in the men's side when I'm out with my father, whose always insistents that's it's completely comfortable for me (sure dad, lol). It's awkward as f*ck, though. Too many shaqolaan faraaxs roaming the premises, looking at you funny. It's definitely more spacious and perhaps more comfortable in men's section, but the social ostracization isn't worth it, kiddos.

Women’s and men’s section? They don’t even do that at Arab or even Afghani restaurants I’ve been to.

VixR

I thought it was an American phenomenon. Here, go to an Afghani, Lebanese, Egyptian or Moroccan Muslim restaurant, they don’t separate people on gender. It’s a Somali thing.

Do you know back home, traditionally, when there is a communal meal and people are invited (mostly men), women first serve the men all the meal and the best part of the meat, then they wait in the kitchen to devour on their leftovers. Little boys eat with the men to learn the patriarchal culture and little girls wait with their mothers in the kitchen to wait for the leftovers of their brothers. Teaching them the culture too that these little Abdi’s are her masters. Beautiful culture, innit?

VixR

Veritas
VixR

I thought it was an American phenomenon. Here, go to an Afghani, Lebanese, Egyptian or Moroccan Muslim restaurant, they don’t separate people on gender. It’s a Somali thing.

Do you know back home, traditionally, when there is a communal meal and people are invited (mostly men), women first serve the men all the meal and the best part of the meat, then they wait in the kitchen to devour on their leftovers. Little boys eat with the men to learn the patriarchal culture and little girls wait with their mothers in the kitchen to wait for the leftovers of their brothers. Teaching them the culture too that these little Abdi’s are her masters. Beautiful culture, innit?
Yh, Ive heard all that. But the culture doesn’t lack for much worse offenses. Most of us are removed from it’s real reach.

VixR

Seriously sxhb is this true:faysalwtf::mugshotman:

Alt

Ask your parents. Or the traditional ones on Somalispot.
Warya my patriarchal views is that the man should eat last and be the Alpha of the group, I think western culture has made me believe ladies first. When opening the door, in line, and when it comes to meal time. Sxhb that sounds barbaric and xashid in general.

Men are Disposable, Women are perishable.

Damn my Western Liberal programming is coming out right now maybe its because I am a simp, nice guy, or a white knight when it comes to women.

Yh, Ive heard all that. But the culture doesn’t lack for much worse offenses. Most of us are removed from it’s real reach.

VixR

I don’t know why they’ve to seperate along gender lines. That’s why we avoided to go to a Somali restaurant while visiting my cousins in Europe. I saw two Saudi families dining in a Somali restaurant in Melbourne that was opened recently.

We used to have fadhi ku dirrir centres aka Somali restaurants who were dirty and served basic pasta, bariis and meat. When the owner serves you the meal, he would tell you to go to the kitchen for a fork and knife and will ask you to wash them before you use them. Carte Blanche Somali service. It was a den of cabbies and xerta fadhi ku dirirka. A Xamari brother and sister saw a vacuum and an opportunity for the lack of a Somali restaurant and opened two Somali restaurants that serve a variety of dishes plus great deserts. They are very clean and customer service oriented. It was the first time a Somali restaurant was reviewed in a major newspaper and may I add, positively reviewed. That’s where I met the two Saudi families and there were also South East Asians and other ethnicities dining there. All genders mixed. But not a single Somali female dining, bar the waitresses.

What happens when these Somalis who dine seperately in Somali restaurants dine in other mixed restaurants? I think the idea is to isolate the rowdy children to their mothers away from the gentlemen.

Last edited:

VixR

Veritas
VixR

I don’t know why they’ve to seperate along gender lines. That’s why we avoided to go to a Somali restaurant while visiting my cousins in Europe. I saw two Saudi families dining in a Somali restaurant in Melbourne that was opened recently.

We used to have fadhi ku dirrir centres aka Somali restaurants who were dirty and served basic pasta, bariis and meat. When the owner serves you the meal, he would tell you to go to the kitchen for a fork and knife and will ask you to wash them before you use them. Carte Blanche Somali service. It was a den of cabbies and xerta fadhi ku dirirka. A Xamari brother and sister saw a vacuum and an opportunity for the lack of a Somali restaurant and opened two Somali restaurants that serve a variety of dishes plus great deserts. They are very clean and customer service oriented. It was the first time a Somali restaurant was reviewed in a major newspaper and may I add, positively reviewed. That’s where I met the two Saudi families and there were also South East Asians and other ethnicities dining there. All genders mixed. But not a single Somali female dining, bar the waitresses.

What happens when these Somalis who dine seperately in Somali restaurants dine in other mixed restaurants? I think the idea is to isolate the rowdy children to their mothers away from the gentlemen.
I’m not pressed about Somali culture. I’ve lost any hope I had for that place the more I got to know of it. It is what it is. Those who can change it are those from within it, and frankly I’m perfectly fine being removed as I am. I only choose the good I got out of it, which is pretty much my parents as perfect and imperfect as they can be.

I’m not pressed about Somali culture. I’ve lost any hope I had for that place the more I got to know of it. It is what it is. Those who can change it are those from within it, and frankly I’m perfectly fine being removed as I am. I only choose the good I got out of it, which is pretty much my parents as perfect and imperfect as they can be.

VixR :nvjpqts:

Culture evolves, but little has the Somali culture evolved pre 1991 and soon when generation post war establish themselves as influential, it would undergo a triple bypass with a major facelift. I hope it dies in the theatre room, so we can invent one that’s compatible with modernity and doesn’t pull us back to the dark ages.

VixR

Veritas
VixR :nvjpqts:

Culture evolves, but little has the Somali culture evolved pre 1991 and soon when generation post war establish themselves as influential, it would undergo a triple bypass with a major facelift. I hope it dies in the theatre room, so we can invent one that’s compatible with modernity and doesn’t pull us back to the dark ages.
I’m not holding my breath. Somalia has been in strife and stagnant long before my birth, and it’ll most likely be like that for our whole lifetime.

The post-war generation isn’t accomplishing anything, especially if by that you mean those of us in the diaspora, whom I also consider to be removed and irrelevant to the process (as I am), because only the natives can bring about real cultural change when they’re eventually forced to see it hasn’t served them and continues not to.

The way I see it: Currently, anyone with a brain has fled the place or is trying to fleeing it, and the rest are being bankrolled by the diaspora often with ‘ayr money. You have a situation where the class struggle in the diaspora is feeding the cultural and economic stagnancy of the motherland. The culture still has a lifeline.

When our parents’ generation passes, only a percentage of us will continue to feed it, and less with every passing generation until it’s forced to be reconciled with.

Can you believe a crime in the country occurs and they call us and tell us so-and-so has done something we need x amount of cash to give the victim’s family, and diaspora bankrolls that as well as their next meal? I couldn’t believe my ears when I found this out.

The diaspora enables their idiocy, and a lot of folks out here are no better than they would’ve been had they stayed in the bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending