Xabashi raw meat eater calls Somali’s “Arab worshippers” on r/Ethiopia

very sad state of affairs for Somalis. Our culture is very beautiful and unique. It should be well preserved but ever since the war where a lot of men were going to the MENA world for study and came back with the Wahabi ideology, they have diluted our culture and made it more Arabized as they think it means ' more Muslim

Yep.

These Somali Sheekhs with their Arab slang, Arab uniforms and imported Arab culture and biases are partially to blame for the loss of cultural pride.

I wish we had a Somali Government that made sure to regulate these people and forced them to Somalise themselves. One day Insha'Allah.

Periplus

Min Al-Nahr ila Al-Ba7r
VIP
very sad state of affairs for Somalis. Our culture is very beautiful and unique. It should be well preserved but ever since the war where a lot of men were going to the MENA world for study and came back with the Wahabi ideology, they have diluted our culture and made it more Arabized as they think it means ' more Muslim

Somalia has become less Arab since the 1970s.

This nonsense that we’re Arabising is BS when 40 years ago, most print media in Somalia was Arabic.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
He's delusional. Habeshi discrimination against dark skin and Ethiopians is notorious. Haile Selassie was also a racist and spoke candidly about it. This is a video of a young Amhara talking about their prejudices against the "African negro".

He's delusional. Habeshi discrimination against dark skin and Ethiopians is notorious. Haile Selassie was also a racist and spoke candidly about it. This is a video of a young Amhara talking about their prejudices against the "African negro".

Yes, but Habeshas have Habesha pride. They don't cosplay as anyone else.

We need to admit that sometimes our enemies are right about *some* us, even if it hurts.

Somalia has become less Arab since the 1970s.

This nonsense that we’re Arabising is BS when 40 years ago, most print media in Somalia was Arabic.
Society in Somalia in 2022 is much more in touch with Arab culture than society back in 1970. The Friday prayer kuhtbah in majority of mosques in xamar are done in Arabic even though most people don’t understand and a lot of guys go around saying ‘yacni’ 24/7 and wearing khakis everywhere like it’s obligatory. This wasn’t the case back in 1970

they also hold Arabs in more regard now than back then. It’s quite obvious

Periplus

Min Al-Nahr ila Al-Ba7r
VIP
Society in Somalia in 2022 is much more in touch with Arab culture than society back in 1970. The Friday prayer kuhtbah in majority of mosques in xamar are done in Arabic even though most people don’t understand and a lot of guys go around saying ‘yacni’ 24/7 and wearing khakis everywhere like it’s obligatory. This wasn’t the case back in 1970

they also hold Arabs in more regard now than back then. It’s quite obvious

Dude, this is simply not true.

Many Somali newspapers in the 60s and early 70s were in Arabic (ex: Najmatul-Oktoobar), we had Arabic radio shows and most educated people in that period were proficient.

We also had numerous Arabic-language schools, at least one in each major city.

Up until the 1960s, many regions in Somalia would teach solely in Arabic until high school.

Awad

عادل | جامعة الدفاع العربي
Dude, this is simply not true.

Many Somali newspapers in the 60s and early 70s were in Arabic (ex: Najmatul-Oktoobar), we had Arabic radio shows and most educated people in that period were proficient.

We also had numerous Arabic-language schools, at least one in each major city.

Up until the 1960s, many regions in Somalia would teach solely in Arabic until high school.
How common would you say wadaad was prior to Barre? I find it hard to believe more than 1-5% of the population used it on a regular basis with the minimal amount of print media available

Awad

عادل | جامعة الدفاع العربي
@Magan95 Why are you always trying to paint the racial dynamic between Somalis and Arabs akin to that of blacks and whites? This self-victimization rhetoric is very ceeb

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
Yes, but Habeshas have Habesha pride. They don't cosplay as anyone else.

We need to admit that sometimes our enemies are right about *some* us, even if it hurts.
I was refuting that Ethiopians don't have the same problem I don't disagree that some Somalis worship Arab culture. However I can't deny my roots and my lineage which stretches back to Abdirahman al-Jaberti who was an Arab man. I've travelled to Arabia and when I tell them I am Somali, they consider me Arab and are offended that I do not know the language. I can't deny my heritage.

Periplus

Min Al-Nahr ila Al-Ba7r
VIP
How common would you say wadaad was prior to Barre? I find it hard to believe more than 1-5% of the population used it on a regular basis with the minimal amount of print media available

Far wadaad is an interesting one.

The idea of writing in the Arabic script has been popular for centuries. For example, Swahili has been written in Arabic for centuries.

@Shimbiris knows a lot more I think, but I assume aristocratic Somalis and imams have used some form of the Arabic script until colonisation.

We have proof of poems, Islamic stories etc written in Far Wadaad as well as translations of Arabic literary works dating back to the 1200s.

Last edited:
I was refuting that Ethiopians don't have the same problem I don't disagree that some Somalis worship Arab culture. However I can't deny my roots and my lineage which stretches back to Abdirahman al-Jaberti who was an Arab man. I've travelled to Arabia and when I tell them I am Somali, they consider me Arab and are offended that I do not know the language. I can't deny my heritage.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

They’re racist and imperial lapdogs of Europeans.

Hamzza

VIP
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Arabs look up to Turks, it's natural that some Somalis consider Arabs more superior, Arabs also fantasise about having Turkic qualities.

Last edited:

Trending