Writing Systems and Vocab

I know this has already been discussed here but we need to either

A: Reform the Latin script
B: Get rid of the Latin script and replace it with another

The double vowels in Somali look ugly in my opinion and they should be replaced with a single vowel with a Diaeresis(two dot diacritic) on top

For example: Instead of "aa" we would have "ä"

Or we could scrap it and go with Osmanya or some other script,

I feel like if we really rebuilt Somalia's government we could have a very strong literacy campaign for any script.

As for the language itself, I feel like we use way too many loanwords when we have perfectly fine Somali substitutes

For example:
Malgacad ---> Qaado
Macalin ---> Bare
Waqti ---> Xilli
Kelma ---> Ereyo

I think we should try to "Re-somalize" our language, if there's a Somali substitute for a word, use it, and we should try to bring back archaic Somali words as well.

Last edited:
A: Reform the Latin script
B: Get rid of the Latin script and replace it with another

The double vowels in Somali look ugly in my opinion and they should be replaced with a single vowel with a Diaeresis(two dot diacritic) on top

For example: Instead of "aa" we would have "ä"

Or we could scrap it and go with Osmanya or some other script,

I feel like if we really rebuilt Somalia's government we could have a very strong literacy campaign for any script.

As for the language itself, I feel like we use way too many loanwords when we have perfectly fine Somali substitutes

For example:
Malgacad ---> Qaado
Macalin ---> Bare
Waqti ---> Xilli
Kelma ---> Ereyo
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, i would like to say thank you for every young somalis who are interested in Afsoomaali.
Language is alive and have bright future when young people care and studying about it.

Somali language is at greatest moment in history.
Afsoomaali is perfecly fine where it is at now. Afsoomaali has standard alphabets, a strong population that uses daily, recognized officially by two countries Ethiopia and Somalia while djibouti recognizes as national language, kenya recognizes as minority language.
On top of that somali Writers are independently writing thousands of books which helps maintain and preserve its vocabulary. Many somalis are now able to read and write their native tongue. The internet also encourages or pressures many people to learned to be active among their peers. Somali language is thriving

support somali writters
you should buy somali writters' books to support them. Somali writers are publishing many books in afsoomaali on online and in libraries in Africa and outside of africa. They tour cities where there is large somali population so they can sale to them. We don't need the government. especially Somalia government. The governments of east Africa are poor and don't have the resources to do large scale of anything.

long vowels

you stated that long vowels are ugly and we should replace with the two-dot-vowels.

i think long vowels are more useful than two-dot-vowels. somalia or east african countries are poor and many people cant afford glasses so we need something that they can easily see. And the The two-dot-vowel is going to be difficult to distinguish from "a". it is going to be difficult to spot on billboard, road signs, and even books too. also Switching from current vowels is going to be expensive why not invest in printing books? So long vowels are the best option.

Loanwords in somali

loan words expand a language. it does not kill a language. if a language doesnt borrow words it is a sign of dying language. its speakers will abandon it because Loans adds concept that were not present before or was not clear and makes it clear. A language that is healthy like somali constantly creates new words and borrows loands. Majority of loan words come from arabic. And those arabic laonwords are somalised phonetically and grammatically. We use loandwords along words we created. although (sometimes) there is slightly variation of the meaning between them. sometimes they are exactly the same. more synonym for us. Loansword are beneficial for every language. it increases it vocabulary pool.

xili and wakhti are not the same, although English it is the same. English is behind and need loanwords for this concept.

here new words

rukunso= subscribe
dajiso= downloads
wareejinaya = loading
dhigid = post
aqbal = accept
baraha-bulshada= social media
boga= website
barta aan ku leenahay Twitter__- i caawi macnaha {barta}

osmanya script

we could use it along with latin script like Japanese. japanese language have two scripts. chinese has latin script and chinese logo writing
why can we have both osmanya and latin script.
we can have two.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
nah cause I recently saw how many loan words there are and it shocked me.

caadi is arabic
we don't have a word for please or sorry (fadlan and raali are arabic)
ceeb is Arabic too

I thought people were exaggerating the amount of loans in somali

long vowels

you stated that long vowels are ugly and we should replace with the two-dot-vowels.

i think long vowels are more useful than two-dot-vowels. somalia or east african countries are poor and many people cant afford glasses so we need something that they can easily see. And the The two-dot-vowel is going to be difficult to distinguish from "a". it is going to be difficult to spot on billboard, road signs, and even books too. also Switching from current vowels is going to be expensive why not invest in printing books? So long vowels are the best option.
This is a very unique take. I didn't like the long vowels written like "aa, oo", but I can see from this perspective how it's useful.

The other point you made about loanwords is correct. People overreact on that aspect because they lack the understanding that it is a common and a natural phenomenon in any language, a factor signaling the opposite of a dying language.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
These Arabic or any other language words that have became Somali should be considered Somali, that's only diversify the language.

Trending

Latest posts