Would you name your children western names to help them “get ahead” in life?

I remember living next to a young Somali family that named their children very westernized names (like Noah, Alicia) when I asked why one day she said she didn’t want their children to be bullied because of their names and wanted them to get ahead in life.

I thought it was kinda weird considering they can’t erase their skin tone and will prob still deal with racism anyway so what’s the point. Let them have unapologetically Somali/Islamic names and be proud of their identity. That’s what I’m doing with my future kids

I remember living next to a young Somali family that named their children very westernized names (like Noah, Alicia) when I asked why one day she said she didn’t want their children to be bullied because of their names and wanted them to get ahead in life.

What is with Somalis in the west developing slave mentality. I was never once been bullied because of my name in school I have an Arabic name.

zaffron

gumeysi diid
I've met a lot of people with gaalo first names and Muslim last names. For example, Mark Abdullah, Jake Yusuf etc. All of them were the grandchildren or children of arab immigrants, is this the future for Somalis in the west?

I've met a lot of people with gaalo first names and Muslim last names. For example, Mark Abdullah, Jake Yusuf etc. All of them were the grandchildren or children of arab immigrants, is this the future for Somalis in the west?
I don’t think so. We have too much dignity and pride to do this.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
No need for that, someone in Engineering or Medicine will always have a job.

And give up your deen even, gaalo will never take you as "one of their own"

No need for that, someone in Engineering or Medicine will always have a job.

And give up your deen even, gaalo will never take you as "one of their own"
I met this Somali doctor with the name John Aden Hassan(not his real surname). He spoke perfect Somali but it was so odd hearing everyone calling him John. I couldn’t wrap my head around it lol

Yes.

I already changed my Somali name to a French one.

:denzelnigga:
You thought you were viet, chinese or something. They will still see you as the petit nègre de maison
99124C6A-5765-44A7-82A8-093C2CDABE6A.png

Trending