Would this be a fair deal? Somalia gives Ethiopia two ports in exchange for full control of the Shebelle and Jubba rivers.

Ethiopia needs access to the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean. Would it be a fair deal if Somalia gave Ethiopia one port in the Red Sea and another port in the Indian Ocean in exchange for Ethiopia voluntarily relinquishing control of the Shebelle and Jubba rivers to Somalia? Imagine Somalia having complete control and sovereignty of the Shebelle and Jubba rivers?

Most of Somalia is fairly dry and desert, excluding some portions of South-Central Somalia. Even then, we are experiencing an alarming rise in deforestation. If we attain full control of the Shebelle and Jubba rivers, we could effectively utilize the rivers for our own economic prosperity. We will have numerous sources of clean and renewable energy, self-sufficiency in agricultural production and increased water retention which we could use to irrigate our farmland.

Now the question is which ports in the Red Sea and Indian Ocean should Somalia voluntarily relinquish to Ethiopia in exchange for the Shebelle and Jubba rivers? I would suggest Heis in the Red Sea and Mareeg in the Indian Ocean. Definitely not Zeila, because it's an historical city.

I would also aim at getting full control of the Awash river, but that means we have to give up another coastal city. I would probably tell the Ethiopian Government to give Somalia at-least a 50% stake in all food production factories on the Awash river. More food, water and clean renewable energy for us.

Also, the Shebelle and Jubba rivers in Ethiopia receive much larger rainfall compared to Somalia and are blessed with large underground water reserves.

2 ports
:ileycry:
Ethiopian greediness will be their downfall

:russ:
I wouldn't consider relinquishing our strategic and powerful ports(Mogadishu, Merca, Barawa, Kismayo, Bosaso, Berbera, Zeila). Do you think it's a good deal for Ethiopia to voluntarily relinquish control of the Shebelle and Jubba rivers to Somalia in exchange for two non-strategic ports, such as Xiis and Mareeg?

We get full control of two rivers and they get two ports(One in the Indian and the other in the Red Sea). Attaining full control of both rivers would bring us many benefits. The Shebelle and Jubba rivers in Ethiopia are blessed with large underground water reserves.

World

VIP
How would you have full control of the Shabelle and Jubba river? They originate from the Oromo mountains. Even if Ogaden was part of Somalia, Ethiopia would still control those two rivers.

How would you have full control of the Shabelle and Jubba river? They originate from the Oromo mountains. Even if Ogaden was part of Somalia, Ethiopia would still control those two rivers.
Yes, it originates in the bale mountains which are inhabited by oromos. But the Ethiopian government has sovereignty and control of the Shebelle and Jubba rivers. In the same way, the Bajuni islands are inhabited by the Bajuni people. But the Somali federal government has sovereignty over the Islands. Both Oromos and Bajuni cannot enter into any contract with foreign entities without the approval of their respective governments.

Anyways, the deal would benefit oromos because they need a port to sell their agricultural produce.

World

VIP
Yes, it originates in the bale mountains which are inhabited by oromos. But the Ethiopian government has sovereignty and control of the Shebelle and Jubba rivers. In the same way, the Bajuni islands are inhabited by the Bajuni people. But the Somali federal government has sovereignty over the Islands. Both Oromos and Bajuni cannot enter into any contract with foreign entities without the approval of their respective governments.
But in order to have full control of both rivers, you would need to control the Bale Mountains.

But in order to have full control of both rivers, you would need to control the Bale Mountains.
Yes, that's true and the bale mountains would be included in the deal. The Shebelle and Jubba rivers originate from the bale mountains. Both rivers would be voluntarily relinquished to Somalia in exchange for two ports. Every inch of the Shebelle and Jubba rivers would be included in the deal.

I get where you are coming from. I am not saying Somalia will only get the Shebelle and Jubba rivers positioned in the Ogaden region. I said every inch of the Shebelle and Jubba rivers would be voluntarily relinquished to Somalia in exchange for two ports. It would be a terrible deal just to get the Ogaden region for two ports. Do you think the deal is good and would benefit Somalia?

World

VIP
I get where you are coming from. I am not saying Somalia will only get the Shebelle and Jubba rivers positioned in the Ogaden region. I said every inch of the Shebelle and Jubba rivers would be voluntarily relinquished to Somalia in exchange for two ports. It would be a terrible deal just to get the Ogaden region for two ports. Do you think the deal is good and would benefit Somalia?
Wouldnt happen but its better for Somalia than Ethiopia tbh

@HabarSteven12
Getting control over thise 2 rivers would be huge .

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Ethiopia won't be allowed to collapse, their population is too large. All the neighbouring countries won't take them in, so where do you think they'll go? Europe. Imagine hordes of millions of refugees flooding into Europe, it'll be a nightmare. The Europeans bailed them out in the past, and they will do so again.

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
There are international laws like the Helsinki Code that prohibit an upstream state from intentionally or negatively affecting a downstream state. Somalia does not have to relinquish anything, not an inch, it just has to gather evidence of intentional sabotage of its rightful and sovereign downstream flow by the upstream state and submit it to an international court.

Egypt would have done this already if the Renaissance Dam was actually negatively affecting its downstream flow, but even with the filling of the reservoir it hasn’t.

Trending

Latest posts