Would 1/16 percentage of ancestry show up on a DNA test?

So I was informed by my mom that my great grandmother was half Yemeni and half Somali from dire dawa. She was apparently very light skinned and looked arab. Most of my mom’s side of the family is very light skinned as well (my mom thinks it’s from the Yemeni ancestry)

I took a 23andme though and didn’t have any middle eastern ancestry show up. Is my mom just misinformed? Were there even Yemenis in Ethiopia? Or can 1/16 ancestry sometimes not show up on an ancestry test?

Nayaa Soomali baa tahay. Nagadaa ceebta.

I on the opposite end of the scale refuse taking the test because I will not accept anything less than 100% Somali. I may go into depression if something else is found in me.

1709092527494.png

Nayaa Soomali baa tahay. Nagadaa ceebta.

I on the opposite end of the scale refuse taking the test because I will not accept anything less than 100% Somali. I may go into depression if something else is found in me.
Lol I already have mixed ancestry on my mothers side (my grandma is half comorian, and that showed up on the test) it’s not a big deal. I’m still Somali through and through

Lol I already have mixed ancestry on my mothers side (my grandma is half comorian, and that showed up on the test) it’s not a big deal. I’m still Somali through and through
How the hell? Sidee? Did your family get dropped off their by colonizers? Or are you barawani and Comorians took a boat to xamar or whatever.

No way! That’s so fascinating. Do you know the history as to how her grandmother married your great grandmother?

So I was informed by my mom that my great grandmother was half Yemeni and half Somali from dire dawa. She was apparently very light skinned and looked arab. Most of my mom’s side of the family is very light skinned as well (my mom thinks it’s from the Yemeni ancestry)

I took a 23andme though and didn’t have any middle eastern ancestry show up. Is my mom just misinformed? Were there even Yemenis in Ethiopia? Or can 1/16 ancestry sometimes not show up on an ancestry test?
DNA doesn’t lye !

Millions of Somalis are very light skin doesn’t mean you have Arab lineage.

Trending