Word of the Day: How to Say 'Valentine's Day' in the Somali Language?

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
That’s just “love day” wtf.

Valentine is someone’s name, so it shouldn’t have a translation in Somali.

Regardless, I don’t think many Somalis care what that name is, considering St. Valentine was a Christian cleric.

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
I am sorry but not sorry.

I said what I said.
Well, obviously there's not gonna be a direct translation of Valentine's day but if you wanted to say it in Somali that's the closest you could get, that or saying "maalintii faalintaynis" or something.

Northern Swordsman

Tawxiid Alle lahaw, Talo na Alle saaro.
Maalinta Falantayn or just Maalinta Jacaylka / Ayaanta Jacaylka or Ayaanta Gacalka.

As Muslims this is not a holiday which is part of our religion ans as Muslims we should be cautious in partaking in these celebrations/ holidays.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230215_091521_Brave.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230215_091521_Brave.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 43
Thank you for asking I had fun researching this.
That’s just “love day” wtf.
Read the whole paragraphs
Valentine is someone’s name, so it shouldn’t have a translation in Somali.
Read A) culture:
Regardless, I don’t think many Somalis care what that name is, considering St. Valentine was a Christian cleric.
Read A) culture.
—————————————————————

Why is it 'Maalinta Jacaylka' and not 'Maalinta Faalintayn'?

Languages borrow words in many ways:
A) Languages borrow words directly from other languages, with few exceptions in sounds and writing.
For example, 'baarlamaan' becomes 'parliament'.

B) Languages borrow words based on the concept, rather than word for word. For example, 'social media' becomes 'baraha bulshada', and 'Baahiyaha Gaarka' becomes 'special needs'.

C) Languages borrow words based on the concept, and not necessarily word for word. For example, 'Valentine's Day' becomes 'Maalinta Jacaylka'.

D) Languages borrow words based on the concept only, and may create new words or use other methods.

It can be difficult to identify whether a word has been borrowed conceptually or has existed in the language previously.

I do not know any words right now. Please comment if you know.

I do not know any words right now. Please comment if you know.

answered:

Why is it Somali language say Maalinta jacaylka not Maalinta faalintayn?

A)
Culture: Words often carry cultural and historical significance that may not easily translate from one language to another. Borrowing the concept of the word allows the borrowing language to capture the meaning and cultural significance of the word in a way that makes sense to its speakers.

B) Pronunciation: Sounds and pronunciations may not be easily translatable from one language to another. Borrowing a word conceptually allows the borrowing language to use its own sounds and pronunciations while still capturing the meaning of the word.

Valentines is difficult to pronounce>

C) Acceptance and establishment: In some cases, the direct translation of a word from one language to another may have negative or offensive connotations in the borrowing language, especially if the pronunciation of the borrowed word sounds similar to a word that has a negative meaning in the borrowing language. <zeal, goose>. In such cases, borrowing the concept of the word rather than word for word may be a better approach as it allows the borrowing language to relate the new word to something that is already established and accepted in the community, making it more likely to be accepted and adopted by the speakers of the borrowing language.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
@backgroundISneeded

You misunderstood my point, Valentine’s is someone’s name, you can’t translate that.

Places and names are generally required to stay the same when translated to another language.

It’s like translating Walmart into Somali.

Since Valentines is named after someone, the proper translation should be “maalinta Valentine”

@backgroundISneeded

You misunderstood my point, Valentine’s is someone’s name, you can’t translate that.

Places and names are generally required to stay the same when translated to another language.

Since Valentines is named after someone, the proper translation should be “maalinta Valentine”
The name "Valentine" or the person associated with it has cultural and historical significance for Europeans and their religion. However, it has no significance for Somali people. Therefore, Somali people can adopt the concept of "Valentine's Day" and can name it whatever they want.

In contrast, Cigaal Shidaad is a well-known figure among Somali speakers, and his name carries cultural significance for Somalis.

May 28th is currently known as "Coward Day," we could call it "Maalin Cigaal Shidaad" in Somali. The average Somali person would understand the meaning of this day. However, it's unlikely that Europeans would call it "Cigaal Shidaad Day.
————————

Please don't say that Cigaal Shidaad is only famous in East Africa. I didn't know Priest and St. Valentine until yesterday.

Last edited:
@backgroundISneeded

That of correct. Sometime names can’t be translated. Although Valentine’s Day is a name we can still change it to fit our culture.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
That of correct. Sometime names can’t be translated. Although Valentine’s Day is a name we can still change it to fit our culture.

My point exactly, Valentine’s Day celebrates something that isn’t in our culture or our religion.

In fact, one could argue that it is haram.

So it doesn’t require “Somalising” when it’s premise is anathema to our culture. But if it does need to be mentioned, it should just be mentioned as “maalinta Valentine” to highlight the foreign nature of this holiday.

Awad

عادل | جامعة الدفاع العربي
My point exactly, Valentine’s Day celebrates something that isn’t in our culture or our religion.

In fact, one could argue that it is haram.

So it doesn’t require “Somalising” when it’s premise is anathema to our culture. But if it does need to be mentioned, it should just be mentioned as “maalinta Valentine” to highlight the foreign nature of this holiday.
Valentine's day IS Haram. This is not up for debate.
You have very suspicious rhetoric, lay off Yasir Qadhi for a while

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
Valentine's day IS Haram. This is not up for debate.
You have very suspicious rhetoric, lay off Yasir Qadhi for a while

I am giving it the benefit of the doubt as I haven’t heard anyone talk about it.

I believe it’s haram however, since I haven’t looked into what the discussion on this is, I can’t say it with absolute certainty.

Funny how quickly you jumped on it tho.

Trending

Latest posts