Word of the Day: How to Say 'special needs' in the Somali Language?

I remember hearing dhakam from some language challenges so i can't point to a source right now. If you're interested in looking for similarities between languages i have a good video for you, at least when it comes to somali and oromo.

I’ll try to find the meaning or which dialect uses that word.

the clip you just shared is a horrible example, she has a bad accent and her dialect is western Arsi a mix of Arsi and Shawa. She can’t pronounce the dh in afaan Oromo. An example of this is in one of her vid, the word for rock she pronounced eega but the word is spelt and pronounced dhaga. A lot of central Oromos have a hard time pronouncing some words.

Garaad diinle

 
I’ll try to find the meaning or which dialect uses that word.

the clip you just shared is a horrible example, she has a bad accent and her dialect is western Arsi a mix of Arsi and Shawa. She can’t pronounce the dh in afaan Oromo. An example of this is in one of her vid, the word for rock she pronounced eega but the word is spelt and pronounced dhaga. A lot of central Oromos have a hard time pronouncing some words.
How would you describe the dialect differences between the oromos? Is there some dialects that are completely unintelligible?

How would you describe the dialect differences between the oromos? Is there some dialects the are completely unintelligible?

The dialects are intelligible and everyone understands one another. It’s kind of like Uk English, Us, Au Etc. some words and phrases may differ but the language as a whole is much understandable. The only one that may have the hardest understanding is that of the Orma(Warday) in tana river Kenya. It’s very similar to Boran but also different. I’d need to listen very carefully to fully understand.

How is 'Baahi' a 'sifeeye', and not an 'issim'? Kindly see if you could further elaborate.

I beg to differ, but shall come back to it, but first let us settle 'Baahi' being an adjective, if you may.

In this example, I would say 'Arday baahiya gaar ah leh', for 'Ardayda' might be acceptable in suuqi, but not in its written form, with 'Arday', emphasis being upon the tail end to distinguish it from its singular form, where the emphasis would be upon its front, or light, in its plural form, as in the case in 'inan (boy), and 'inan (girl)'.

Again, here I would say 'Waxaa jira baahiya/baahiyo (regional)', but would never say 'baahiyaha', for Somali being a sounding language, it sounds rather flawed, at least to my good ear. I think the late ustaad Gaariye would have agreed with me.

Again, let us at first settle whether 'Baahi' is 'sifeeye', or an 'issim'? Pick any example you desire, and we shall perform traditional 'i3raab'.

I have got the following in mind, but shall await your response:
'Waxaa looga digayaa dadka nugul ee baahiya caafimaad lehi (lihi), in aanay iman (imaan) cisbitaalka'.

Unto you now good sir.
I said baahi is sife? Halmaam hadal kuma jiro. That doesn't even make any sense since Somali adjectives do not change for gender and all

What I meant to say was that not all Somali nouns have both singular and plural forms.

Nouns that have both forms are called the "countables" and the ones that don't are called the "uncountables".
For example, xanuun is countable. Xanuun>Xanuunno. But caafimaad is uncountable and has only a singular form.

Baahi falls under the uncountables category. That's why "baahiyo" is considered incorrect naxwe-wise. It's just something people say informally.

As for "baahiya", "a" astaan wadareedba ma noqoto. Remove the "ha" from Kabaha, dhegaha, gabdhaha etc. like you did with baahiyaha. And you're left with gabdha, dhega and kaba. As you can see they're all incorrect.

How's "ardayda" Af-suuqi when it just means "the students"?

Arday(singular), the student=ardayga(masculine)
Arday(plural), the students= ardayda(feminine)

"Arday(singular) baahi gaar ah qaba"
"Arday(plural) baahi gaar ah qaba"
"Ardayda(the students) baahiyaha(the needs) gaarka ah qaba"

Some uncountables examples:
Plural form only: Haween, dumar, carruur, rag, lo' etc.

Haween/dumar= women, no singular form
haweenka/dumarka= the women
Five women= 5 haween/dumar not haweenno/dumarro
"Haweeney" etc. = Spoken Somali

Substances edition, singular form only:
Saliid, sokor, bur, ciid etc.
You can't say saliiddo, sonkorro, burooyin/buro, ciido etc.

Abstract edition, only singular form:
Baahi, gaajo, jacayl, naxariis, cabsi, nabsi, nabad etc.
Baahiyo, gaajooyin, jacaylo, naxaariisyo, cabsiyo, nabsiyo, nabado/nabadyo...all wrong.

^Intuba qaab-wadareed malaha, se qodob wadareed way yeeshaan qaarkood! Weliba marka laga hadlayo wax la isla ogyahay.

This is why baahiyaha(the needs) is correct despite 'baahi' not having a plural form. It's one of those things you just have to learn/memorise when learning Somali naxwe.

Sifayaasha, tirooyinka(kow, laba..) iyw. ayaa inta badan lagu kabaa matirsamayaasha.

"Waxaa lagaaga digayaa haddii aad tahay qof nugul oo baahi caafimaad qaba in aanaad iman cisbitaalka"

"Waxaa looga digayaa qofka(the person) nugul ee baahida(the need) caafimaadka lihi in aanuu iman cisbitaalka"

"Waxaa looga digayaa dadka(the people) nugul ee baahiyaha(the needs) caafimaadka lihi in aanay iman cisbitaalka"

The dialects are intelligible and everyone understands one another. It’s kind of like Uk English, Us, Au Etc. some words and phrases may differ but the language as a whole is much understandable. The only one that may have the hardest understanding is that of the Orma(Warday) in tana river Kenya. It’s very similar to Boran but also different. I’d need to listen very carefully to fully understand.
Oromo chatting the most xaar . They are dir and proud .
Talk about You're Gudifacha/ Mogasa culture😅
"Your adopted into a clan, and take the genealogy of those who took you in."
Screenshot_20230524-172237_Chrome.jpg

Trending