Word of the Day: How to Say 'Dragon' in the Somali Language?

How to Say 'Dragon' in the Somali Language?

In Somali language, Dragon is called ‘Masduulaa’.

Pronunciation/ Dhawaaqa
/ məs-tho͞Olaa-h /

6154FEE2-714C-42C2-9BD9-D4D19E2F4549.png

Mention / Lagu xusay:

summary of Firebreather, an American computer-animated superhero television film in Somali language.

Firebreather wuxuu la soo noqonayaa filim iyo taxane cusub​

—————-Laga yaabee in badan oo idinka mid ah ma ogaan doonaan waxa aan ka hadlayo laakiin dib ayaan u soo noqday 2003, Image wuxuu soo saaray meerisyo la yiraahdo Dab-damiyaha, ee qoraallada ay masuulka ka ahaayeen Phil Hester, in haddii xusuustaydu i khiyaanayn, waxaan sidoo kale la joogay waqtigaas Dhirta, iyo leh iyo kuh sawirada. Sheekadu waxay diirada ku saartay nolosha ninka dhalinyarada ah Duncan rosenblatt, yaa noqon karay da 'kasta marka laga reebo xaqiiqda ah inuu yahay masduulaa nus ah, taas oo ka dhigeysa safarkiisa qaangaarnimada mid aad uga adag kan wiilasha kale ee da'diisa ah, haddii aan intaas ku darno inuu yahay wiil waalidkiis kala tagay—————

sources/illaha:
  1. Firebreather wuxuu la soo noqonayaa filim iyo taxane cusub.

2. Masduulaagii Komodo / Komodo masduulaagii (Varanus komodoensis).

3. INTII AAN FIKIRAYAY, WAXAAN ARKAY BURBURKA POMPEII.

4. Google translate

Mas Jowhar is what I think it’s called, There’s a legend about it where it kills people by head-butting them three times and a guy brings a shield and it headbutts him and dies and he takes the jewel out of its head.

anyone heard that story.

Mas Jowhar is what I think it’s called, There’s a legend about it where it kills people by head-butting them three times and a guy brings a shield and it headbutts him and dies and he takes the jewel out of its head.

anyone heard that story.
No. Please tell me about it in Somali if you don’t mind.

Garaad diinle

 
Inta an ka hadalnay masduulaagii.

It's made out of two word mas and duul which means fly and thus masduulaagii. I found stories about it in random places so it's hard to point to a specific source. One source i can point to is richard francis burton 173 years ago where he said about flying snakes with jewels.

o0vj7dd.png

I think there are plenty of material to choose from for such projects in somali oral stories. One interesting investigation i was doing was the flying snake. There are plenty of stories about snakes flying and guarding jewellers. One story said that when a snake lives for a thousand year they grow a jewel on their head meaning for every millennia they live a new jewel grows on their body. There are even stories where some somalis raid the caves of these snakes guarded by snake soldiers.

What is interesting is that these stories are similar to the tale of the shipwrecked sailor from ancient egypt. The story about the land of punt flying snake and a snake covered with jewels which could mean that the snake lived for many millennias, one jewel per millennia or it could also mean that the snake existed since creation to grow all these jewels. Masduulaagii or the flying snake.

Hamzza

VIP

anyone heard that story.
20230219_110613.jpg

Trending