Word of the day: How to say ‘to kidnap’ in Somali language?

What do you call a kidnapper?
Kidnapper is called afduube. Kidnappers are afduubayaal

BC26D79F-85C1-4D89-921E-7948CFDC0B6E.jpeg

I thought it was xoog
Like iska ilaali inaad habeeynka socotid dadka waa la xoogaaye

thoughts?
In general, 'Xoog' refers to force, as in 'Xoogga Dalka', which refers to National Force, and is also being used when referring to 'mugging'; in the case of 'Xoogid', as in 'Yaan lagu xoogin', which mostly applies to females in the context of their being assaulted, which I think might be what you were referring to. There are a couple of other relevant words to note, but I shall leave it there, lest lambasted for making it difficult :)

Postscript:
What would be a 'hostage'?

KinsiHilaac

Pretend there is a title here
In general, 'Xoog' refers to force, as in 'Xoogga Dalka', which refers to National Force, and is also being used when referring to 'mugging'; in the case of 'Xoogid', as in 'Yaan lagu xoogin', which mostly applies to females in the context of their being assaulted, which I think might be what you were referring to. There are a couple of other relevant words to note, but I shall leave it there, lest lambasted for making it difficult :)

Postscript:
What would be a 'hostage'?
So i can´t use the word xoog for kidnapping, I thought it could be interchangeable

So i can´t use the word xoog for kidnapping, I thought it could be interchangeable
If you were reporting an abduction or kidnapping to the police, and are required to offer specificity, then by saying 'waa la i xoogay' could potentially present the wrong impression to the officer, if it indeed was a case of kidnapping. Further, it would convey more of a sense of an assault. And if you belong to the 'fish & chips' crowd, you would be excused. Food for thought.

Last edited:
What is the name of that dictionary?
the dictionary is called

QAAMUUSKA AF‒SOOMAALIGA

diyaarintii
Annarita Puglielli iyo Cabdalla Cumar Mansuur

It is only in afsoomaali. Some of the words are outdated and missing modern meaning of words also some words haven’t being added to this book yet so you will not find in it.

It is best dictionary out there. I waiting for update.

the dictionary is called

QAAMUUSKA AF‒SOOMAALIGA

diyaarintii
Annarita Puglielli iyo Cabdalla Cumar Mansuur

It is only in afsoomaali. Some of the words are outdated and missing modern meaning of words also some words haven’t being added to this book yet so you will not find in it.

It is best dictionary out there. I waiting for update.
I found it. Mahadsanid walaal.