Word of the day: how to say ‘thirst trap’ in Somali language?

How to say ‘thirst trap’ in Somali language?

In Somali language, thirst trap is called dabin harraad.

Sentences:
Waxay soo dhigtay Instagram-ka sawir si cad u ahaa dabin harraad, laakiin waan iska celin kari waayay inaan laba-taabto.

She posted a picture on Instagram that was clearly a thirst trap, but I couldn't resist double-tapping.
——
Uma maleynayo inay xitaa ka warqabto in sawirka ay soo dhigtay uu yahay dabin harraad - waxay u maleyneysay inuu yahay issawir qurux badan.

I don't think she's even aware that the picture she posted is a thirst trap – she just thought it was a cute selfie.

Definition of Thirst trap.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirst_trap

Som

VIP
It's kinda a direct translation of the English term. I doubt the average Somali would understand what it means

How to say ‘thirst trap’ in Somali language?

In Somali language, thirst trap is called dabin harraad.
I actually liked the first one. Keep trying, mate, for you are very close.

I would agree with @Som , as direct translation lacks genuine 'halabuur'.

Think about the word 'intellectual'? In today's standards, we would have been struggling coming with a similar word, but our forefathers came up with 'indheergarad <= in-dheer-garad'; see the simplicity, and beauty of that?

Reasons for Choosing 'Dabin Haraad'

I had several reasons for choosing "dabin harraad," but the main one is this: most of the people who will be searching for or familiar with the concept of "thirst trap" are likely English speakers. Consequently, they will be the ones who search for the Somali equivalent of "thirst trap.

While I'm not overly concerned with Somali speakers' understanding of my newly-invented word, "dabin haraad," as they will come up with an alternative if they don't like it.

And that is when the concept of "dabin haraad" will begin to be known among Somali speakers.

My target is qurbajoogta and I think they will be introducing dabin haraad to daljoogta.

About ‘ildab’

When I set out to create the Somali equivalent for 'thirst trap,' my initial choice was 'ildab.' I was attached to this word for some time, but I later realized it may be difficult for qurbajoog to pronounce. Despite this, I still favor 'ildab.' I intend to promote both 'ildab' and 'dabin haraad' and see which one gains wider acceptance.
I actually liked the first one. Keep trying, mate, for you are very close.

It's kinda a direct translation of the English term.
When linguists want to create new words in a language, they have various methods at their disposal. One of these methods involves directly translating a term from the language that the concept originates in, thus generating a new word for a language that does not yet have a term for that concept. This approach has several advantages. Firstly, it makes it easier for the newly coined word to spread, as individuals who speak both languages can easily understand and use it. Moreover, since the new word is a direct translation, it is more likely to be easily remembered and used unintentionally.

and boom 🤯 a word.

I doubt the average Somali would understand what it means
The average Somali will understand 'dabin harraad'. If they do not, it will be the Somalis who speak English who will be using thus helping spread the concept and the word dabin harraad.

Additionally, 'harraad' already has sexual connotations, just like the English word 'thirst'." So they will get it.