Word of The Day: How to Say ‘ to select’ in Somali language?

How to Say ‘ to select’ in Somali language?

In Somali language, to select is called gaati.

Waxaan gaatiyay
Waxaad gaatiday
Waxay gaatisay
Wuxuu gaatiyay
Waxaan gaatinay
Waxay gaatiyeen

Gaadasho

Alternative:
Perhaps this is regional, or mistaken for another word, or its spelling is incorrect, but 'Gaati' in standard Somali means 'to walk in a sneaky way', or 'Dhuukin' - 'maxaad la gaatinaysaa, ama la dhuukinaysaa' , with its origin being 'Gaatin', which in standard Somali means 'to sneak up on someone', as in a fight i.e. 'waar waa uu i gaaday', or 'weerar gaatin / gaadma ah ayaa lagu soo qaaday', or when playing hide & seek i.e. 'Gaatinta ayaad igu hodday'.

'Xul' => selection,
'Xulasho' => to choose from,
'Kala dooro' => to pick one out of a selection,

Albeit 'dooro' has been co-opted in political discourse.

Another popular term is 'ikhtiyaar', of which origin is Arabic i.e. 'ikhtiyaar ma u leeyahay in aan ka xusho (select from), ama ka doorto (choose from) meniyuga casha fudud? '.

Food for thought.

Alternative:
Perhaps this is regional, or mistaken for another word, or its spelling is incorrect, but 'Gaati' in standard Somali means 'to walk in a sneaky way', or 'Dhuukin' - 'maxaad la gaatinaysaa, ama la dhuukinaysaa' , with its origin being 'Gaatin', which in standard Somali means 'to sneak up on someone', as in a fight i.e. 'waar waa uu i gaaday', or 'weerar gaatin / gaadma ah ayaa lagu soo qaaday', or when playing hide & seek i.e. 'Gaatinta ayaad igu hodday'.

'Xul' => selection,
'Xulasho' => to choose from,
'Kala dooro' => to pick one out of a selection,

Albeit 'dooro' has been co-opted in political discourse.

Another popular term is 'ikhtiyaar', of which origin is Arabic i.e. 'ikhtiyaar ma u leeyahay in aan ka xusho (select from), ama ka doorto (choose from) meniyuga casha fudud? '.

Food for thought.
My Source of where I got the word.
I have learned a lot of vocabulary from a man named Mangalool who is passionate about Somali poetry. He shares three vocabulary from poetry and Halxidhaale on his TikTok account. Being an Af-Soomaali enthusiast, I have great admiration for him. In fact, I even learned a new words from him every time he posts on his account. So, couple of days ago, I learned new word (gaadasho) which means xulasho.

The verb gaati

Quoted from him (mangalool) “waxaan Adiga kuu gaatiyay”

Here is the videol link . Or you can go to @ mangaloool | Remember thee ooo

Thank you for sharing it.
I agree, 'Gaadasho' is a correct standard word, and common. 'Gaati' is wherein lies the confusion for me. I was almost tempted to ask earlier if you intended that word, but then lost my train of thought. Thanks again.

Updated:
Oh, and now I see in your original post, you did indeed mention "Gaadasho', which I missed. Mea culpa.

Last edited:

Trending