Women and ancestry tests?

I know that a woman cannot find out about their paternal ancestry because our lack of a Y-chromosome. Does that mean our results will be only for our maternal side of the family? If so, is there any point of doing a genetic test if we won't get full results? I wanted to do one to see if I would get anything that's not Somali, like Habesha or Oromo. It would also be free for me, as I'm an American.

My only living paternal relatives is an estranged adeer and my grandfather, I don't speak to either of them so I can't ask them to do the test, lool.

Apollo

VIP
I know that a woman cannot find out about their paternal ancestry because our lack of a Y-chromosome. Does that mean our results will be only for our maternal side of the family? If so, is there any point of doing a genetic test if we won't get full results? I wanted to do one to see if I would get anything that's not Somali, like Habesha or Oromo. It would also be free for me, as I'm an American.

My only living paternal relatives is an estranged adeer and my grandfather, I don't speak to either of them so I can't ask them to do the test, lool.

You can still find details about your paternal ancestry on 23andMe by testing yourself and your mother. Any close relative you get on 23andme that isn't related to your mother comes from your father's side of the family.

You can still find details about your paternal ancestry on 23andMe by testing yourself and your mother. Any close relative you get on 23andme that isn't related to your mother comes from your father's side of the family.

Interesting. That's good to know. Thanks.

Trending