Woman to spend 5-years behind bars for selling beer in Somalia

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Probably some local warlord was annoyed that she was taking away his market share.

People get less years for rape in Somalia.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
Probably some local warlord was annoyed that she was taking away his market share.

People get less years for rape in Somalia.
The title and tweet are misleading. This was in Puntland where drug dealers having been getting smoked each day this month.

Like @Crow said, all the drug dealers are getting similar sentences, they are a scourge on society and are being dealt with. They were also heavily armed and got into a gunfight with the police. There is no place for this in Puntland.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Finesse watch wode maya about Africa, he travels the continent to end the hell hole image that white media portays on the motherland.

I love when he says 'I am maya' in that deep west african english accent

2:08 mark is hilarious his deep west african accent when he says I am maya

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Absolutely despicable they arrest peaceful beer brewers but allow terrorists to roam free in Qandala

I think it is great that Puntland has a functioning justice system and a semblance of law and order.

However, there is something about sentencing a woman for 5 years for selling beer that makes me think it is a bit extreme. I appreciate it is likely the law that this is the standard sentence for someone caught with this crime.
However, I think there should be some degree of discretion. I am absolutely speculating here, but it is likely this woman is a mother who felt that this is a good way to earn an income. If something like that is the case, then I think a level of compassion should be taken into account, especially if this is a first offence.

Trending