Wise Father in Law

This is an excerpt from one of Inamul Hasan Kandhlawi’s speeches. Its translated more or less meaning. My notes are in brackets.

There are two things:
(a) Expenditure for which there is an actual need. You need to spend 100 but you end up spending 1000, 100,000.
(b) Useless spending; there is no need to spend but its expenditure undertaken to boast about.

Allah سبحانه وتعالى disapproves both of these methods of spending.

‘Israaf’ is spending more than what is needed.

“but be not excessive. Indeed, He likes not those who commit excess. ” (7:31)

Tabzir is where you shouldn’t be spending and you are spending there.

“Indeed, the wasteful are brothers of the devils..” (17:27)

This wedding and ceremony are not occasions to spend money rather if done with simplicity it will gain blessings.

Aisha reported the Prophet as saying, “The marriage which produces most blessing is that which involves least burden.” ( Mishkat al-Masabih 3097)

Its evident nothing is gained besides showing off and wasting money. There is an incident that occurred in Delhi.
The girl was from Delhi and boy was from abroad. The boy’s side said that we will bring so many in groom’s wedding procession. The girl’s father said “no you only bring four people in addition to the groom.” But what happened? When life is erratic or without any order, people don’t realize that you shouldn’t visit someone without an invitation.

The groom brought 200 people because it’s considered to increase one’s honor by bringing more people. That (Father of the girl) Allah’s slave whom Allah had given him (proper) understanding upon arrival of 200 people he said clearly “I can only serve 4 guests in terms of staying and food, you are responsible for the remaining 196.” At the onset, there was contention. But he remained firm that I had said “only 4 people are to come and I have only prepared as such, the remaining you are responsible for them.” The people that came they started arguing. But the Father didn’t waver.

Then the marriage was completed in the evening with simplicity. The following morning the Father told his household that to send off the girl (to her husband’s place), he is going to the store and asked the groom before he leaves to meet him at the store. The boy went to the store. The Father then asked his manager to bring forth that envelope. In the envelope, was 100,000 which was handed over to the boy saying “this is yours”.

“It could have been so that I would have spent 100,000 in reception and treatment of guests but how would this have benefited you and her (daughter). I could have easily spend this money on the 200 guests but this would not have benefited you and her. This cheque of 100,000 if you want you can invest in a business, however you want to spend it this is yours.” The boy had tears. This is compassion.

The boy said ” I am not familiar with how businesses work. Why don’t you advise me?” Then the Father guided him after which Allah سبحانه وتعالى provided them with such prestige that they lived a comfortable life.

My dear friends, Allah has provided us to fulfill our needs such a simple, easy method in which there is no consternation, burden and worry.

sheikhonderun.wordpress.com/2022/04/22/wise-father-in-law/