• Yes

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 25.0%

• Total voters

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Many European names are borrowed from Greek or Hebrew. There has been a lot of co-opting and localizing of names from the Old or New Testaments. I don't see why names in Arabic (which are Afro Asiatic) are an exception. Also, a few Somalis don't have Arab, Anglo or Somali names. I like Somali names but naming is uniquely individual and I won't negate those who decide on something different.

Read this article.

Does your name determine your future? New research suggests it may at least shape the way your face looks — Quartz (qz.com)

Even very common "white" names like John and Paul have biblical origins. They come from John the Baptist whose original Hebrew name was Yoxanan (Yaxya (As) in Arabic) and Paul the apostle whose original Hebrew name was Shacul. Even female names like Rachel and Sarah have biblical roots and sounded more Afro-Asiatic in their original Hebrew like the prior mentioned male names. The original pronunciation of Rachel, for example, was Raxel.

Last edited:
100% getting a Somali name, I don’t care if my kid is mixed, he’s getting a Somali name. It’s annoying how people automatically assume I’m Arab when they see my name

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I know that Aden is the Somali version of the name Adam.

but where did Hank come from then?

Hani means carefree in Arabic but is used for males.

In former ottoman Eastern European countries as well as Malaysia/Indonesia, I think they use for it for girls.

Xoxoxo

VIP
Hani means carefree in Arabic but is used for males.

In former ottoman Eastern European countries as well as Malaysia/Indonesia, I think they use for it for girls.
Huh weird. Many of my Arabic friends don’t recognise the name at all so I basically assumed that it was a werd adopted Somali name like Sabrina

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Huh weird. Many of my Arabic friends don’t recognise the name at all so I basically assumed that it was a werd adopted Somali name like Sabrina

Somalis have a habit of changing the gender of foreign names.

Xanan and Faraax is used for boys but Hani is used for girls.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Even very common "white" names like John and Paul have biblical origins. They come from John the Baptist whose original Hebrew name was Yoxanan (Yaxya (As) in Arabic) and Paul the apostle whose original Hebrew name was Shacul. Even female names like Rachel and Sarah have biblical roots and sounded more Afro-Asiatic in their original Hebrew like the prior mentioned male names. The original pronunciation of Rachel, for example, was Raxel.

Exactly, they are borrowed. Daria, Darian, Dana, Casper, Cyprus, Ava, Ariana, Yasmin and Darius are Persian. From what I've noticed there is a lot borrowing of names that goes on. I really don't get why people care.

My first name is somalised arabic name and awoowes and dads are also the same. My greatgrandfather had a somali.

I do plan to name my kids somali names, especially the sons. Something that stands out like my name which is not that fairly common with somalis.
Subhanallah I have to go back to my great-great-great-great-great grandfather for a Somali name(which is Guuleed)

After him it's only Somalised arabic names, including mine.

I will name my children both Somali and Arabic names.

One warfac and one abdullahi, one abshir, and imma throw in a Maxamed becuase every Muslim family has a Mohamed

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
English first name, Somali last name. I'm not going to set them up for failure.

:kanyeshrug:

Trending