Why is there still an arms embargo on Somalia?

For a long time I assumed it was the US that was opposed to the lifting the embargo, but came across an article a few years back where they were the ones urging lifting the embargo, and France/UK opposed to it. I believe China/Russia have been against the embargo for a long time.

It's unfortunate such an inconsequential, random state like France is holding SNA back from getting a few tanks.

Anyone have more info on this or recent developments?

For a long time I assumed it was the US that was opposed to the lifting the embargo, but came across an article a few years back where they were the ones urging lifting the embargo, and France/UK opposed to it. I believe China/Russia have been against the embargo for a long time.

It's unfortunate such an inconsequential, random state like France is holding SNA back from getting a few tanks.

It’s mainly the U.K., Russia and China have urged that the arms embargo be lifted and the Russia because they want to have a new market for the weapons sector, it’s mainly the European Union and the U.K. that are against it

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP

Honnestly do you trust somalis with fancy weapons in 2021? T

Honnestly do you trust somalis with fancy weapons in 2021? T

Not sure, but if the US/China/Russia think they can handle it I don't see why not.

I think armoured vehicles/tanks have low risk of being sold to al shabab as they are large/heavy & need maintenance/parts, as opposed to say small arms/ammunition.

FBIsomalia

True Puntlander
VIP

Before that, South Somalia should build army to secure land from alkabab. We dont want Alkabab have those like Taliibaan did in Afghanistan.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Yes it should be lifted so Farmajo can build an airforce and navy to besiege Kenyan occupied Kismayo and liberate it

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
As much as i want it to be lifted, we cannot trust those in power now to handle those heavy weapons with maturity and conscientiousness. I hope it is lifted when a sound minded population of both diaspora and local native youth take over every region of the country from the qabil infected odays and declare peace between all qabils.

Unfortunately that is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

bidenkulaha

GalYare
We literally would’ve seen airstrikes in Mogadishu had Farmaajo had his way.

We are not matured enough for a lifting of weapons embargo’s.

How are we supposed to fight the foreign backed militant group al shabaab without weapons? Anyone advocating against arming the Somali Military is likely a foreign agent.

It will happen, Get used to it.

As much as i want it to be lifted, we cannot trust those in power now to handle those heavy weapons with maturity and conscientiousness. I hope it is lifted when a sound minded population of both diaspora and local native youth take over every region of the country from the qabil infected odays and declare peace between all qabils.
It sounds like your saying embargo should stay till there is peace in Somalia…..I think proper weapons like tanks and (wishful thinking) attack helicopters will drastically reduce alshababa capacity/belief they can win.

right now according to sources a big part of alshabab strategy is just to simply wait out the amisom forces so they can take on the tfg again. They fear amisom tanks and heavy weapons, meanwhile the SNA is still fighting like a rebel guerrilla army not that different to al shabab themselves.