Why is sex taboo in Somali communities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s the older generation that think like this. For example, I’ll be covered up from head to toe in a loose abayo and hijab, and my mom will quickly tug the scarf over my chest. Mind you, I’m barely putting on the scarf in my own room, and she always has to quickly cover me up. My chest is not even that pronounced over such a loose dress.
:bell:
It really annoys me, but I don’t think we can change older people’s thinking. They think that if you don’t cover up, that automatically makes you a dh*lo and a bad Muslim. Never mind talking about sex openly.
:gucciwhat:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
:mjlol: Reiko, we're taught to see Somali women as sexless. I just assume every hooyo is still a virgin. :pachah1:Even though evidence contradicts that.

Emily

🥰🥰🥰
VIP
A woman once told me. Women shouldn’t announce their pregnancies because it means they had sex with their husbands?

tenor.gif

Guts

Bosaso iyo Bandar Siyada
VIP
My dugsi quran macalin once had sex education session :farmajoyaab:
macalin: Adeeryaal segsku ceeb maha wa halal (if you are married) :fittytousand:
we acted confused first :mugshotman:then
Most of the niggas there started making dua
GyQK4zG.png

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Even announcing your pregnancy is a taboo and not celebrated.

A woman once told me. Women shouldn’t announce their pregnancies because it means they had sex with their husbands?

@Knowles @sophisticate @CaliSomali how can we cure this phobia in our community?

My husband & i have sex with the lights out. Out of sight, out of mind

I agree that talking about sex should not be a taboo. But Somali parents often them selves were brought up in a undersexualised time/era.

But now with the power of the Internet its changing. We've got old head xalimos/ Faraxs sharing their wildest fantasies with the world

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
Yet these old ladies are the first to ask waax siyaada/cuulus maa jiiro, after first month of being married. Somalis are walking contradictions.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Yet these old ladies are the first to ask waax siyaada/cuulus maa jiiro, after first month of being married. Somalis are walking contradictions.

There’s another contradiction

Aroos laguma raago lagamana raago

Somalis always arrive late to weddings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending