Why is nationalism considered haram?

What’s wrong with loving your nation and fighting to protect it and making it great? I don’t see this impeding with the deen. Most Muslim majority nationalities tend to be very nationalistic, as long as you’re not discriminating other nationalities I don’t see the issue

anything that ends in -ism is not just a love for something but a way of something, like a religion. nationalism entails by default that you put the interests of your nation over anything else like racism is the belief your race is superior and tribalism, tribe, sexism etc... it's not healthy even from gaalo point of view but muslims have the duty to put Allah and his Messenger (saw) over all of that worldly things even your own mother so imagine people put something as abstract as a border with people who share a similar lineage and culture as you over the religion..? it's different than simply having a natural love or where you are from and wanting good for it.

The same reason why tribalism is considered forbidden. It goes against the teachings of Islam.

Nationalism tells me a Gaal Somali murtad who hates Allah (SWT) with a passion and tries his/her best to undermine it is closer to me than a practicing, well-mannered, clean, and sharaf west-African Sheikh, due to me just sharing an ethnicity. Nationalism also tells me that the aforementioned murtad is not only closer to me than the sharaf Muslim, but also (in some cases) superior. You see the problems it has?

Loving your people and wanting the best for them isn’t haram actually. When you prioritize it over the religion or when you use your lineage or culture to look down on others, that’s a problem.

IstarZ

A mere finger can’t obscure the sun.
Nationalism is a non-issue for Somalis. There isn't an ounce of nationalism but we have tribalism in abundance.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
The same reason why tribalism is considered forbidden. It goes against the teachings of Islam.

Nationalism tells me a Gaal Somali murtad who hates Allah (SWT) with a passion and tries his/her best to undermine it is closer to me than a practicing, well-mannered, clean, and sharaf west-African Sheikh, due to me just sharing an ethnicity. Nationalism also tells me that the aforementioned murtad is not only closer to me than the sharaf Muslim, but also (in some cases) superior. You see the problems it has?

Good way of putting it, nothing wrong with supporting your country, but blind nationalism is a problem like any other ism, feminism, etc.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Why did Allah make humans inherantly tribal if nationalism/ethnocentrism is so haram?

It depends, really. In-group vs out-group bias is seemingly a very inherent tendency in Humans, yes. And it probably benefited us as Hunter-Gatherer bands looking out for danger but it also seems very apparent that who fits in your "group" is very easily fluid with Humans. Simple examples are how Humans can form unions or a sense of belonging over asinine things like which sports team or TV show they like ("Geek culture!" and all that). Not to mention how despite our supposed "natural racism" virtually every large population group on Earth today, save a few possible exceptions, is the result of pre-historic and sometimes historic admixture so clearly even in terms of things like language, ancestry and so on Humans have been allowing members of other groups into their in-group for whatever reason for millennia.

I'm blabbering a lot but the goal of Islam isn't really to abolish our natural tribalistic tendencies which are real and which you have highlighted but to change the goalposts and make it more about our shared deen than whom we look most like or share the most genes with. I personally find that noble. To make people respect and love each other based on shared beliefs, customs and values rather than something as arbitrary as genetics given that we are all Humans and not so different at the end of the day.

:mjlol: "Why did Allah (SWT) make us easily lustful and aroused if fornication and ****ography is Haram?" - your line of reasoning.
Don't compare putting your people before others with degeneracy like p0rn, you dumb bootyclapper :farole:

Muzaffer

𝕮𝖔𝖒𝖗𝖆𝖉𝖊 𝕲𝖊𝖓𝖊𝖗𝖆𝖑
Don't compare putting your people before others with degeneracy like p0rn, you dumb bootyclapper :farole:
putting anything above Islam is haram even if it's your family.

The prophet PBUH was proud of being Arab and being from Quraish and Beni Hashim but he never put this above religion.

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
Nationalism means that a gaal somali is closer to you than a muslim afghani.
He is tho....we are both genetically the same people wheras the only thing I share with an Afghan is religion. (Don’t take this the wrong way I’m still 100% muslim and islam comes first I’m just saying a somali would still be closer to me in terms of language, culture etc)

He is tho....we are both genetically the same people wheras the only thing I share with an Afghan is religion. (Don’t take this the wrong way I’m still 100% muslim and islam comes first I’m just saying a somali would still be closer to me in terms of language, culture etc)
I don't get your point, you're saying Islam comes first so how is a gaal closer to you than a muslim?

Trending