Why is Arabic one of our official languages?

so you're fine with English but want to remove Arabic? whats with inferiority complex yall suffering from? our forefathers used af wadaad for centuries and were more somali than you ever going to be. Orod so baro afsoomaaliga hadi somalinimo dhab ka tahay.
Who are you replying to? If you're replying to me are you actually dense?

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
You write this today, tomorrow someone will ask the same question again. This place is Groundhog Day.

You're highlighting the catalyst behind why I started my blog many years ago. I at first seriously made it in order to avoid having to constantly answer the same questions via DMs, emails and forum posts on the anthropology forums I was on. After a while I noticed I was copy-pasting old big posts I'd made on certain subjects anyway and was like "Why don't I just create a place where I throw in a lot of what I've learned and am learning and in the future just... link people." saved so much time.

And part of it was also creating a place where Somalis and other Horners could be saved the time and research I had to go through by bringing everything together for them in one place and explaining the DNA science so they could better understand the studies for themselves and do their own research and not "need" me at all.

It was used for centuries as the written language of Somalis. Sometimes, like with Far Wadaad, people wrote Somali or a mix of Somali and Arabic using the Arabic script but a lot of the time Arabic was straight up the language of commerce, record keeping and communication. Most historical manuscripts, elite written letters of correspondence and so on we have from the last 300-400 years are in Arabic but written by Somalis. Most of the politicians of the Somali Youth League could speak Arabic and write in Arabic and frequently read Arab newspapers. It was sort of the medieval Latin in Western Europe of our culture. Very much a second language if you were a merchant, judge, ruler or any sort of traveled and learned man. Somalis are also a deeply religious and proudly so lot and given Arabic's inseparable connection to Islam that only helped seal why our founders would want to enshrine the language.
you've made the most compelling arugment in this thread for arabic.

I still believe the official language should be only Somali but I can live with your answer.

I just dislike A-rabs if im being honest.

Doctorabdi

الوقت من ذهب
You're highlighting the catalyst behind why I started my blog many years ago. I at first seriously made it in order to avoid having to constantly answer the same questions via DMs, emails and forum posts on the anthropology forums I was on. After a while I noticed I was copy-pasting old big posts I'd made on certain subjects anyway and was like "Why don't I just create a place where I throw in a lot of what I've learned and am learning and in the future just... link people." saved so much time.

And part of it was also creating a place where Somalis and other Horners could be saved the time and research I had to go through by bringing everything together for them in one place and explaining the DNA science so they could better understand the studies for themselves and do their own research and not "need" me at all.
Could you link said blog abti? If you have completed it of course

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
Arabic is our second language and tongue, you western-born brats wouldn’t understand how deep Somali and Arabic (& Semitic languages as a whole) go. We carry ancient loanwords and root words from Semitic languages and Old South Arabian also held Cushitic (most likely Somali) substratum.

We have also been speaking Arabic since the advent of Islam and is a vital part of our country’s identity. Our literature is a mix of Somali Ajami (Wadaad) and Arabic. It’s our classical language.

Somalia is politically a Somali and Arab country so I have no problem with Arabic being a second official language.

we ain't a-rab, we only share islam. Sure it can be taught in schools or what ever but to have it as an official language is ridiculous. Ain't nobody speak that. help me understand why arabic is one of the official languages. Remember the muslim ummah thing is fake (right now, could change inshallah) and everyone is out for themselves. Wallahi we should have nothing to do with them apart from economic ties.
We joined the Arab League that's why. I don't think it was an official language before

The heavyweight Somali politicians of the past spoke excellent Somali, Arabic and English. Now days you see Somali politicians talking like this: “arinta debate laga keenay waxa principleska motionka marka ”🤣
I can't tell you how much I hate it when I hear this - sounds so disgusting

That's a good solution. It's strange I never thought about it that way.

I thought about Substack. But then I was tired of thinking about it, so I left it alone, lol. I have too many things on my plate lately.

I read your stuff on your blog a few years back and some of your stuff from the anthro-forum that died. I kind of knew it was you since I put two and two together but never said anything because I would not like it if some guy came up to me and associated me with other accounts unless I was the one who gave it away.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

we ain't a-rab, we only share islam. Sure it can be taught in schools or what ever but to have it as an official language is ridiculous. Ain't nobody speak that. help me understand why arabic is one of the official languages. Remember the muslim ummah thing is fake (right now, could change inshallah) and everyone is out for themselves. Wallahi we should have nothing to do with them apart from economic ties.
"aint nobody speak that"

Arabic is far closer to somali than the language youre speaking right now,let alone the AAVE you use lol.

its the language of the deen, its taught in schools but it isnt the lingua franca nor does it go beyond the deen/schools in our country. this is such a non issue wallahi we have so many things we got to focus on before crying about Arabic.

What impact does having it as an official language currently have, beside some arabic written on the passport and official document headings? None at all! So useless thing to complain about