Why I REALLY am quitting social media | The Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
She makes good points that social media is not real life but I think she might have some other underlying personal issues to only wake up now after she reached such "fame & success" and realize that social media is not what it's made out to be.

An Australian teenager with more than half a million followers on Instagram has quit the platform, describing it as “contrived perfection made to get attention”, and called for others to quit social media – perhaps with help from her new website.

Essena O’Neill, 18, said she was able to make an income from marketing products to her 612,000 followers on Instagram – “$2000AUD a post EASY”. But her dramatic rejection of social media celebrity has won her praise.

On 27 October she deleted more than 2,000 pictures “that served no real purpose other than self-promotion”, and dramatically edited the captions to the remaining 96 posts in a bid to to reveal the manipulation, mundanity, and even insecurity behind them. O’Neill did not respond to requests for an interview.

A photo of her wearing a bikini, once captioned “Things are getting pretty wild at my house. Maths B and English in the sun,” has been edited: “see how relatable my captions were – stomach sucked in, strategic pose, pushed up boobs. I just want younger girls to know this isn’t candid life, or cool or inspirational. It’s contrived perfection made to get attention.”

http://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ts-2d-life-to-reveal-true-story-behind-images

F

Forfon

Damn, if only she knew she could make that money and still be happy behinds scenes.

It's all about mindfulness and control!

She's 18. She'll be back before 2016. She's a child and will change her mind again.

Exactly my thoughts! Just a typical teenage girl impulses & all the social media attention/publicity that she got might have overwhelmed her negatively. For some people they work very hard and it takes them for ages to get the number of followers she had on TG. She will grow out of it but youth and time won't wait for her.

giphy.gif

I hope she has the strength to stick by her words

I have friends who take 200 pictures a day for 800 facebook friends

I have friends who pay for $50 meals just for some likes

I have friends who allow their food to get cold just trying to get that perfect picture

I cant remember the last time I took a picture of myself and I'm good looking :damedamn:

Also can't believe she had so many followers, she's so flat, skinny and average. The power of angles, camera lens and photoshop.

Zuleikha

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
I have friends who take 200 pictures a day for 800 facebook friends

I have friends who pay for $50 meals just for some likes

I have friends who allow their food to get cold just trying to get that perfect picture

I cant remember the last time I took a picture of myself and I'm good looking :damedamn:
Speaking of this I was having dinner with my mum and sisters last weekend and mate was it hilarious my mum and I finished our food whilst they were still taking pictures from different angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts