Why does Somaliland take access to Somalia’s market for granted?

Reborn
His hatred for SL is so deep that he brain washed himself into thinking the citizens of Somaliland are economically better off to stick with the most failed state in the world :deadrose:

Som

VIP
There’s one other thing that’s rarely ever mentioned by the secessionists or I’ve seen talked about before that I want to bring up…….

Why do north westerners assume that their “citizens” and businesses will automatically inherit all the rights that they had before? Namely:

1. Freedom of movement & rights to work in 🇸🇴
2. Access to Somalia’s market
3. And all other things you take for granted for being in a union

To say Somaliland’s economy would collapse without access to Somalia’s market is an understatement. Somali politicians/leaders havent even begun to apply pressure (which I agree with as there’s no urgency right now). North westerners have no clue at all how they’d fare with a India-Pakistan type of border where trade and movement is almost non existent.

All of the biggest companies up north make most their money from the rest of Somalia, and there is nothing they produce that Somalia doesn’t already have (be it telecom etc). if Dahabshiil was given an ultimatum “cease all activity in Somaliland or you will be banished from Somalia”…..they’d have to abandon Somaliland if they were to survive.

It seems almost that they think everything will stay exactly the same, enjoy all the benefits of a union, except get a seat at the UN? At some point someone needs to sit their ass down and give them a hard talk.

Discuss.
If we ban them from doing business with us or if we limit Freedom of movement for their citizen's on the grounds that they are a separate country we would basically de facto recognize them as an independent country. Somalia doesn't want that.
Personally I think it's time to let them go and start treating Somaliland as they treat our citizens so no more landers in Somalia's parliament, no more freedom of movement without passports or visa on arrival, taxes on their goods etc. It's unfair that Somalia's citizens are treated worst than non-somalis immigrants in SL while landers have full rights in somalia even though their government hates us.
It's time to end this farce, everyone will be happy

If we ban them from doing business with us or if we limit Freedom of movement for their citizen's on the grounds that they are a separate country we would basically de facto recognize them as an independent country. Somalia doesn't want that.
Personally I think it's time to let them go and start treating Somaliland as they treat our citizens so no more landers in Somalia's parliament, no more freedom of movement without passports or visa on arrival, taxes on their goods etc. It's unfair that Somalia's citizens are treated worst than non-somalis immigrants in SL while landers have full rights in somalia even though their government hates us.

YES,YES, WALLAHAY YES...

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

I agree with this. My original post wasn't advocating that we implement those things at all. I was just highlighting what is possible. But since you brought up how it could be implemented.
i think this goes against what you said above, doing this is exactly what Somaliland wants, it is in Somalia's interest to be the absolute last to recognize Somaliland, not the first.

The dilemma is this: by implementing those measures to punish SL, you'd be essentially granting recognition. The question is how can I punish SL and give them a taste of what life as an independant country will be like, without actually implementing those measures?

Simple: make their lives as miserable as possible & by partially implementing some of those measures.

But before I go on we should remember that these activities should begin once al shabab is defeated decisively or diminished to irrelevance & at a time where the somali gov will have much stronger & better capacity to engage in these type of economic warfare activities.

There is an unlimitted ways of doing this & making life harder for SLers. Have zero tolerence for SL propaganda.

-Provide minimal services to SL. There should be 1 bank, 1 telecom & 1 hawala company operating in SL. That's it. (It's not supposed to be fun living in an independent country that thinks it doesn't need Somalia). Services should be as expensive as possible.
- Sanction companies that use Berbera port. No company that imports using that port will be able to use any other Somali port or sell any of their products in Somalia. Let them cater to the Ethiopians.
-No transport trucks from SL may enter Somalia. Trucks going to SL will be heavily taxed.
-6 months waiting list for Somali passports for SLers. Extra 6 months if an SL flag is sighted.
-No.Fly.Zone. Yes Somalia will have its arms embargo lifted by this time. There shall be no planes flying over Somalias sovereign air. Airspace is federal territory in every single country. There is no such things as renegade states controlling their own airspace. Even kurdistan doesn't control theirs. Travellers to Hargeisa must stop at Bosaso.

^these are just very general ideas on things that can be done and can be tuned further but the idea is simple, make living in SL a living hell. Let people vote with their feet! This can be easily achieved btw.

and before some of you guys foam in the mouth this is just hypothetical talk, we are far away where any things like this should be necessary, but they are solid options imo.

Last edited:

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
I agree with this. My original post wasn't advocating that we implement those things at all. I was just highlighting what is possible. But since you brought up how it could be implemented.

i think this goes against what you said above, doing this is exactly what Somaliland wants, it is in Somalia's interest to be the absolute last to recognize Somaliland, not the first.

The dilemma is this: by implementing those measures to punish SL, you'd be essentially granting recognition. The question is how can I punish SL and give them a taste of what life as an independant country will be like, without actually implementing those measures?

Simple: make their lives as miserable as possible & by partially implementing some of those measures.

But before I go on we should remember that these activities should begin once al shabab is defeated decisively or diminished to irrelevance & at a time where the somali gov will have much stronger & better capacity to engage in these type of economic warfare activities.

There is an unlimitted ways of doing this & making life harder for SLers. Have zero tolerence for SL propaganda.

-Provide minimal services to SL. There should be 1 bank, 1 telecom & 1 hawala company operating in SL. That's it. (It's not supposed to be fun living in an independent country that thinks it doesn't need Somalia). Services should be as expensive as possible.
- Sanction companies that use Berbera port. No company that imports using that port will be able to use any other Somali port or sell any of their products in Somalia. Let them cater to the Ethiopians.
-No transport trucks from SL may enter Somalia. Trucks going to SL will be heavily taxed.
-6 months waiting list for Somali passports for SLers. Extra 6 months if an SL flag is sighted.

^these are just very general ideas on things that can be done and can be tune but the idea is simple, make living in SL a living hell. That can be easily achieved.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

-No.Fly.Zone. Yes Somalia will have its arms embargo lifted by this time. There shall be no planes flying over Somalias sovereign air. Airspace is federal territory in every single country. There is no such things as renegade states controlling their own airspace. Even kurdistan doesn't control theirs. Travellers to Hargeisa must stop at Bosaso.

^these are just very general ideas on things that can be done and can be tuned further but the idea is simple, make living in SL a living hell. Let people vote with their feet! This can be easily achieved btw.

and before some of you guys foam in the mouth this is just hypothetical talk, we are far away where any things like this should be necessary, but they are solid options imo.

Congrats Reaction GIF

I have explained this before but Telesom which is the largest provider in Somaliland is owned by Hormuud, same with Golis in Puntland being owned by Hormuud. Sheikh Ahmed Nuur Jimcaale dominates the Telecom industry throughout Somalia.

He does this by selling shares to locals.

Sheikh Ahmed Nuur Jimcaale the owner of Barakaat Group is the owner of Hormuud, Golis, Telesom, Salaam Bank, Taaj Express, Buruuj Construction, BECO, EVC, Zaad and Daarusalaam city.

70% of Golis is owned by Dishishe, Golis headquarters is in Bosaso a traditional Dishishe stronghold.

Trending

Latest posts