Why does canjeero need to be slapped?

Everyone that's been to Somalia knows the sound you fall to sleep to is the sound of canjeero batter being slapped to be served the following morning. But why don't people just use a whisk? Does the slapping release the gluten better or?

Garaad diinle

 
Everyone that's been to Somalia knows the sound you fall to sleep to is the sound of canjeero batter being slapped to be served the following morning. But why don't people just use a whisk? Does the slapping release the gluten better or?
Can't say for sure. Here we transitioned to whisking using an electric whisk. They properly stick to the traditional method or perhaps they can't easily get a whisk. One thing for sure is that the sound of canjeero being slapped is music to my ears. Nostalgic how you would hear every house in the neighbourhood slapping the canjeero at night.

Somali Saayid

There is no surrender, We Win or We Die.
VIP
Who knows? Not me
Should we keep doing it. Yes

It's a beautiful sound to hear the booming sound coming from the kitchen and the quran on the radio playing in the background, caadan kids get lullabies I get fresh caanjero and a good night's sleep.

Fobnimo Till I Dhimo

كَمَا دَخَلُوهُ أَوَّلَ مَرَّةٍۢ🕌☝🏾
VIP
If you don't karbaash the shit out of it how else are u gonna get rid of the lumps whisks ain't strong enough for that shit

Can't say for sure. Here we transitioned to whisking using an electric whisk. They properly stick to the traditional method or perhaps they can't easily get a whisk. One thing for sure is that the sound of canjeero being slapped is music to my ears. Nostalgic how you would hear every house in the neighbourhood slapping the canjeero at night.
Literally every house. Rich to poor. A lovely and nostalgic sound indeed.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Canjeero won’t cook properly on the pan if it isn’t slapped the f*ck out of. Trust me, I been through it
:mjcry:

Trending

Latest posts