Why do so many Somali women study useless degrees and go into debt for it?

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Did they ask you to pay their bills? Or debts ? No.
They are allowed to study whatever they want.
I hate when people use the “I’m allowed to do whatever I want” whenever someone advises them or questions their actions. That’s one of my biggest pet peeves and shows how close minded someone is. Of course they’re allowed to study whatever they want, no one said they weren’t. That point was redundant.

If I had money and time to spare, I would absolutely love to study theology, philosophy, african studies, etc
They're fascinating subjects that shape our world views and the way we operate. I've always had an interest in history, but unfortunately it doesn't pay. I'm the son of an immigrant, that got on student loans and that is expected to help out my parents and other relatives. You got responsibilities, so now I teach young calicali kids :mjcry:

Inshallah I'm looking to making a career switch only taught for 2 years so far and I've had enough :kendrickcry:
Inshallah open my own business, write a few books (one poetry book), have a mashallah wife and kids, make sure my parents get buried back home like they want, we essentially all want the same things :wow1:

I hate when people use the “I’m allowed to do whatever I want” whenever someone advises them or questions their actions. That’s one of my biggest pet peeves and shows how close minded someone is. Of course they’re allowed to study whatever they want, no one said they weren’t. That point was redundant.

Of course you should listen when someone gives you an advice. But they’re not dumb. They know about the job prospects they probably did their research. It’s their choice.

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Of course you should listen when someone gives you an advice. But they’re not dumb. They know about the job prospects they probably did their research. It’s their choice.
He wasn't giving an advice he was asking a question.

Horta, why must Somali women be attacked for every talaabo they take?

Perhaps they find these "useless" degrees they study, interesting. Some people don't live life to make money. Some people want to enjoy themselves and pursue what makes them happy. They know about the enormous debt they'll be getting into when they decide to pursue a certain degree. And they know that the degree they get may not aid them in making money in the future. Yeah, it may not be the smartest choice. But they know what they are getting into.

If I had money and time to spare, I would absolutely love to study theology, philosophy, african studies, etc
They're fascinating subjects that shape our world views and the way we operate. I've always had an interest in history, but unfortunately it doesn't pay. I'm the son of an immigrant, that got on student loans and that is expected to help out my parents and other relatives. You got responsibilities, so now I teach young calicali kids :mjcry:

Inshallah I'm looking to making a career switch only taught for 2 years so far and I've had enough :kendrickcry:
Inshallah open my own business, write a few books (one poetry book), have a mashallah wife and kids, make sure my parents get buried back home like they want, we essentially all want the same things :wow1:

May Allah swt make it easy for you.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
The question posed was a leading one. It assumes that any non-STEM degree is of no value and that the debt incurred is not worth it. One could say there are far more individuals today that are degree holders which increases the level of competition. Many individuals are in the Humanities and Liberal Arts which means there will be an over supply of graduates with these degrees relative to STEM. Not all STEM fields are treated equally either. And in general, there are many Somali girls represented in those fields (more so in the Sciences). If anything, I can count how many are in Engineering and Mathematics. This could be said among women more generally. I believe this some of this asymmetric gender representation has to do with socialization in North America and UK. The rest of the world is not like this (i.e. Asia, Africa, parts of Europe).

I should add that there has been a failure on the part of North American institutions to do pay-for-performance measurements to determine the ROI of their degree programs along with forecasting of job outlooks 6 months - 1 year upon graduation. (1) in their area of study, (2) in an adjacent area, (3) in a different but gainful discipline and (4) in a workplace setting that utilizes less of their skills.

There are also a significant proportion of students in the Humanities and Liberal arts that are Pre-Med and Pre-Law students that have killer GPAs and pursue professional degrees.

You subsume that Humanities and Liberal Arts are the only other degrees when some universities allow their students to have a major discipline + independent study (in their areas of choice such as Brown). There are also the applied sciences. Economics is a part of the Humanities by the way. There are degrees that combine STEM and the Humanities (giving one a more holistic education).

From my understanding the best students are those that have a solid grasp of written and verbal communication skills, initiative, and technical skills. If we are going to be frank the polymaths that combine multiple divergent interests are more represented as Nobel Laurates in their field(s).

And you fail to consider that someone that has a Humanities degree can do certifications on the side, take MOOCs online, or do an accelerated STEM degree that is a fraction of the cost.

In Canada, there are more women university degree holders than men but more men in the tech and financial sector. Especially in finance where women often leave for good once they have children. However, if one stays unattached the sky is the limit. In fact, women would out-earn their male counterparts.

Lostbox

「Immortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
Cause of the uni/college experience and only 10 to 20% of the first world country population a having an undergraduate degree. Doesn't matter how useless or low institution you go to. It is a easy and proven path to middle class

Trending