Why do children born to immigrant parents struggle with identity crises watch this

So I came across this priyanka chopra interview and the experience of the host and herself resonate so much with somalis, it got me thinking why do third world immigrant children feel insecure about their ethnic background?

Maybe it's the cadaans and the colonial mindset that people from poorer countries feel this way, Indians, Mexicans, carribeans.

why aren't people from Denmark or Spain embarrassed to be from those places? What's that about? Are we automatically brainwashed to think we aren't good enough when we come to the west or is it because those other nationalities are familiar or have similar culture to the America or UK for example or maybe because those are wealthier nations too, therefore they have something to be proud of.

What is it that causes a sense of shame in teenagers from ethnic communities?

Many young somalis struggle with identity crises, I personally did as a teenager and claimed everything that wasn't somali.

Sometimes it can be a lonely place and you feel there's something wrong with been somali or its embarrassing to be from a country so famous for war and piracy, just answering the question where are you from? 'Somalia' couldn't pass my lips.

I'm sure many people felt the same, although I'm talking about late 1990s to early 2000s which was arguably the worst time to be somali.

Dunno, but I've always claimed Somalia with my chest.:gaasdrink: The people who live around me are mature enough to understand, that sometimes nations go through tough times. There's no reason for me to feel ashamed about Somalia's situation, because civil war and hardship happens to practically every country.......at least the relevant ones :sass2:

Joliemademoiselle

A pious muslima.
lol, it's trendy to be exotic recently so I don't think in this "look at me" world people are ashamed of something they can clout chase with.

also wow Priyanka needs to take several seats ... she is a self-hater, white worshipper, Hindu nationalist PJB supporter.... next

Poverty shaming. That is it.

Spain and Denmark are European nations that are looked at as 'cool' with a relatable Western culture and money.

Joliemademoiselle

A pious muslima.
Dunno, but I've always claimed Somalia with my chest.:gaasdrink: The people who live around me are mature enough to understand, that sometimes nations go through tough times. There's no reason for me to feel ashamed about Somalia's situation, because civil war and hardship happens to practically every country.......at least the relevant ones :sass2:
As Somalis, we should be ashamed of our situation... We are beyond humiliated because of our own doing.... killing each other for nothing because nothing in this world belongs to no one other than Allah.
what a disgrace.

Interesting how you referred to people who come from majority POC nations as immigrants, yet didn’t say this when you mentioned Denmark or Spain. It’s not a jab at you, but just interesting how we view white people vs. minorities (which is a problematic word in and of itself).

As Somalis, we should be ashamed of our situation... We are beyond humiliated because of our own doing.... killing each other for nothing because nothing in this world belongs to no one other than Allah.
what a disgrace.
Somalia is just...wallahi I don’t know where we went wrong. The longest coastline in Africa, the gateway to Asia, the land where people share the same language and religion and are mostly homogeneous (with a small number of other ethnic groups). Where did we go wrong? We should be a superpower like Japan.

what a disgrace.
True, but we should also never be ashamed of our heritage just because of these unfortunate circumstances. This guy explicitly said he felt bad to identify as a Somali, what kind of weakling is he? :drakewtf:

Joliemademoiselle

A pious muslima.
Somalia is just...wallahi I don’t know where we went wrong. The longest coastline in Africa, the gateway to Asia, the land where people share the same language and religion and are mostly homogeneous (with a small number of other ethnic groups). Where did we go wrong? We should be a superpower like Japan.
too much greed and pride... we are truly built differently... May Allah guide us.

I noticed this in somali diaspora, Notice how they talk, they replace the word “somali” with black, they wanna fit in with african americans so they hold dearly to being “black” while distancing themselves from somalia. If the media made it cool to be somali watch them claim it with pride. most people r followers and it really boils down to what’s “cool”.

Trending

Latest posts