Why do atheists turn to drugs and SUICIDE?

Speaking as a man of science, it has been shown that atheism is linked to drugs and suicide.

I will post details below insha'Allah but the "tldr" of the matter is that atheism is linked to drug usage and suicide. Should atheists be subjected to "stop and frisk" methods to protect society against drugs? Scientifically speaking, it may be a good idea.

In any case, my question to you, oh reader, is this- why do atheists disproportionately turn to drugs and suicide? How can society more effectively protect people against atheism which is clearly a social danger?

Details regarding scientific study: "
According to a recent study published in The American Journal of Psychiatry religious affiliation is associated with significantly lower levels of suicide compared to religiously unaffiliated people, atheists and agnostics. Source: Kanita Dervic, Maria A. Oquendo, Michael F. Grunebaum, Steve Ellis, Ainsley K. Burke, and J. John Mann. "Religious Affiliation and Suicide Attempt" (161:2303-2308, December 2004).

Full article online: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/161/12/2303

ABSTRACT:

OBJECTIVE: Few studies have investigated the association between religion and suicide either in terms of Durkheim's social integration hypothesis or the hypothesis of the regulative benefits of religion. The relationship between religion and suicide attempts has received even less attention.
METHOD: Depressed inpatients (N=371) who reported belonging to one specific religion or described themselves as having no religious affiliation were compared in terms of their demographic and clinical characteristics.

RESULTS: Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. No differences in the level of subjective and objective depression, hopelessness, or stressful life events were found."

https://www.adherents.com/misc/religion_suicide.html

Luciddreamer

Certified bakhti
You have a unhealthy obsession with religion and atheism. The cause of addiction and suicide (clinical depression) cant be summed up in 1 cause or effect. Its multi dimensional problem.
Try to watch this with an unbiased eyes and ears.

Alhamdulilah Allah made us Muslims. May we strive to do good deeds for the sake of Allah.

Those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism), and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allah, Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest.

Surah [13:28]

Luciddreamer

Certified bakhti
Alhamdulilah Allah made us Muslims. May we strive to do good deeds for the sake of Allah.

Those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism), and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allah, Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest.

Surah [13:28]

Tell that to @Omar del Sur the man seem restless

Speaking as a man of science, it has been shown that atheism is linked to drugs and suicide.

I will post details below insha'Allah but the "tldr" of the matter is that atheism is linked to drug usage and suicide. Should atheists be subjected to "stop and frisk" methods to protect society against drugs? Scientifically speaking, it may be a good idea.

In any case, my question to you, oh reader, is this- why do atheists disproportionately turn to drugs and suicide? How can society more effectively protect people against atheism which is clearly a social danger?

According to a recent study published in The American Journal of Psychiatry religious affiliation is associated with significantly lower levels of suicide compared to religiously unaffiliated people, atheists and agnostics. Source: Kanita Dervic, Maria A. Oquendo, Michael F. Grunebaum, Steve Ellis, Ainsley K. Burke, and J. John Mann. "Religious Affiliation and Suicide Attempt" (161:2303-2308, December 2004).

Full article online: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/161/12/2303

ABSTRACT:

OBJECTIVE: Few studies have investigated the association between religion and suicide either in terms of Durkheim's social integration hypothesis or the hypothesis of the regulative benefits of religion. The relationship between religion and suicide attempts has received even less attention.
METHOD: Depressed inpatients (N=371) who reported belonging to one specific religion or described themselves as having no religious affiliation were compared in terms of their demographic and clinical characteristics.

RESULTS: Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. No differences in the level of subjective and objective depression, hopelessness, or stressful life events were found."

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
You have a unhealthy obsession with religion and atheism. The cause of addiction and suicide (clinical depression) cant be summed up in 1 cause or effect. Its multi dimensional problem.
Try to watch this with an unbiased eyes and ears.

Umm pretty much all of humanity can be characterized as being obsessed with religion and atheism. That can characterize pretty much the entire history of humanity.

Being what could be described as obsessed with the big questions is pretty much the human condition.

Also, I posted a link to a scientific study. I'm not interested in what Joe Rogan says.

I get it. It's like You don't believe in a higher being so you see no intrinsic value in anything and especially not yourself. Life becomes meaningless. There is no right and wrong and your sense of reality in a way gets distorted because all you know is technically based or derived from religion.

Have you ever studied Jean-Paul Sartre?

Have you ever read Existentialism is a Humanism by Jean-Paul Sartre?

Wallahi I'm flattered that someone (not you) described me as obsessed with the big questions. That description puts me in the same company as Aristotle, Pascal, Kant, etc.

Anyways.......

if you're an atheist..... what I really recommend is that you come back your senses and become Muslim.... however.....

Jean-Paul Sartre pretty much followed atheism to its logical conclusions. Then the postmodernists carried the same process even further.

Wallahi I was reading Immanuel Kant when I was in high school. My teacher probably remembers when I was sitting in class with The Critique of Pure Reason on my desk.

I've read Plato's Republic and I doubt any of the atheists on this forum have read Plato's Republic.

Being an atheist doesn't make someone intellectual- nor "scientific".

I'm not an idiot. Francis Bacon said "It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men’s minds about to religion."

I don't know if anyone here has read Dawkins but I read his book when I was like 14. Dawkins is shallow. I don't deny he probably can do some math (I don't believe in evolution so I don't believe in his "scientific" stuff) but if you read Dawkins he hasn't actually studied philosophy. The God Delusion is an extremely shallow book. The idea that because he has something to do with evolutionary theory does not make him remotely qualified to tackle theological issues- and even the fact that he thought that way shows how superficial he actually is.

Anyways, I mention all that because I doubt the atheists here have read Existentialism is a Humanism by Sartre.

Anyways, I believe Sartre was absolutely right. If you read between the lines when it comes to Sartre ("existence precedes essence"), Sartre was basically affirming that life has no inherent meaning. Sartre's philosophical project was basically to try to follow atheism to its logical conclusions.

Following Sartre, atheism logically leads to the conclusion that "we must make our own meaning" basically. I can understand why Sartre put an optimistic spin on it. What leads to his concept that we have to make our own meaning is his prior conclusion that life has no inherent meaning.

Sartre was an atheist himself. However atheists try to spin things, atheism logically leads to the conclusion that life is inherently meaningless. That conclusion follows logically from atheism.

That's not according to me- that's according to Jean-Paul Sartre. You can read Existentialism is a Humanism and see for yourself.

The idea that life is meaningless is a part of the package when it comes to atheism. Sartre was correct about that.

Camus thought pretty much the same way.

Now, Sartre did try to find silver lining in the depressing worldview that necessarily results from atheism but the idea that we are to "make our own meaning" is not satisfying.

We as human beings were created to worship Allah. We weren't created to "make up our own meaning". If you try to make up some arbitrary meaning, it's not in line with our innate nature and how we're designed. It will never be really satisfying. This psuedomeaning will necessarily be artificial and a superficial covering for an inherent, gaping lack of the sense that life has an inherent meaning. For life to be experienced as meaningful, meaning must be understood as being inherent- not just an arbitrary whimsy.

ABSTRACT:

I know a lot of muslims addicted to drugs. Addiction has nothing to do with religion or lack of. Its a disease more complicated than any other disease.

I know a lot of muslims addicted to drugs. Addiction has nothing to do with religion or lack of. Its a disease more complicated than any other disease.

The second sentence doesn't follow from the first. A certain set of Muslims taking drugs does not necessitate that there is no correlation between atheism and drug use. There are ethnic Swedes who are Muslim but this doesn't imply that ethnic Swedes are equally as likely as Yemenis to practice Islam.

Luciddreamer

Certified bakhti
Umm pretty much all of humanity can be characterized as being obsessed with religion and atheism. That can characterize pretty much the entire history of humanity.

Being what could be described as obsessed with the big questions is pretty much the human condition.

Also, I posted a link to a scientific study. I'm not interested in what Joe Rogan says.

The guy i want you to listen to is Johann Hari, Joe Rogans guest.
He got the answers to your silly little stupid questions. If you want the TRUTH,
watch the video or stop thinking stupid questions.

As for your obsessions, yours goes way past the norm. Youre a fanatic, its that simple.

The guy i want you to listen to is Johann Hari, Joe Rogans guest.
He got the answers to your silly little stupid questions. If you want the TRUTH,
watch the video or stop thinking stupid questions.

As for your obsessions, yours goes way past the norm. Youre a fanatic, its that simple.
You seem so offended. Are you an atheist?

Have you ever studied Jean-Paul Sartre?

Have you ever read Existentialism is a Humanism by Jean-Paul Sartre?

Wallahi I'm flattered that someone (not you) described me as obsessed with the big questions. That description puts me in the same company as Aristotle, Pascal, Kant, etc.

Anyways.......

if you're an atheist..... what I really recommend is that you come back your senses and become Muslim.... however.....

Jean-Paul Sartre pretty much followed atheism to its logical conclusions. Then the postmodernists carried the same process even further.

Wallahi I was reading Immanuel Kant when I was in high school. My teacher probably remembers when I was sitting in class with The Critique of Pure Reason on my desk.

I've read Plato's Republic and I doubt any of the atheists on this forum have read Plato's Republic.

Being an atheist doesn't make someone intellectual- nor "scientific".

I'm not an idiot. Francis Bacon said "It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men’s minds about to religion."

I don't know if anyone here has read Dawkins but I read his book when I was like 14. Dawkins is shallow. I don't deny he probably can do some math (I don't believe in evolution so I don't believe in his "scientific" stuff) but if you read Dawkins he hasn't actually studied philosophy. The God Delusion is an extremely shallow book. The idea that because he has something to do with evolutionary theory does not make him remotely qualified to tackle theological issues- and even the fact that he thought that way shows how superficial he actually is.

Anyways, I mention all that because I doubt the atheists here have read Existentialism is a Humanism by Sartre.

Anyways, I believe Sartre was absolutely right. If you read between the lines when it comes to Sartre ("existence precedes essence"), Sartre was basically affirming that life has no inherent meaning. Sartre's philosophical project was basically to try to follow atheism to its logical conclusions.

Following Sartre, atheism logically leads to the conclusion that "we must make our own meaning" basically. I can understand why Sartre put an optimistic spin on it. What leads to his concept that we have to make our own meaning is his prior conclusion that life has no inherent meaning.

Sartre was an atheist himself. However atheists try to spin things, atheism logically leads to the conclusion that life is inherently meaningless. That conclusion follows logically from atheism.

That's not according to me- that's according to Jean-Paul Sartre. You can read Existentialism is a Humanism and see for yourself.

The idea that life is meaningless is a part of the package when it comes to atheism. Sartre was correct about that.

Camus thought pretty much the same way.

Now, Sartre did try to find silver lining in the depressing worldview that necessarily results from atheism but the idea that we are to "make our own meaning" is not satisfying.

We as human beings were created to worship Allah. We weren't created to "make up our own meaning". If you try to make up some arbitrary meaning, it's not in line with our innate nature and how we're designed. It will never be really satisfying. This psuedomeaning will necessarily be artificial and a superficial covering for an inherent, gaping lack of the sense that life has an inherent meaning. For life to be experienced as meaningful, meaning must be understood as being inherent- not just an arbitrary whimsy.

MashaAllah that was a solid argument.

Im not and i find stupidity offensive. Atheism is nihilistic view of reality which brings nothing but suffering.

So you're not an atheist yet you feel a need to defend atheism? Weird.

And I have no obligation to watch Joe Rogan or whatever random YouTube person.

Anyways, whatever it is you actually believe, the topic is dealing with statistical facts which come from a scientific study. I get that you're one of the militant liberals and whatever goes against your liberalism is "stupidity" according to you but.... I don't think facts are stupid or of any other level of intelligence. Facts are simply facts.

Youre a fanatic, its that simple.

Calm down.

The fanatic is you. I don't pay attention to you (although you sure pay attention to me), much less send harassing messages because you have a different viewpoint. I think every post you've made in this thread is about me. You seem to have an unhealthy obsession. Being opposed to atheism is pretty common. If being against atheism is fanatical, probably most humans are fanatical.

Last edited:
My coworker is a die-hard atheist, the delusional kind but has a daughter he loves and a wife, studies for genetic engineering and is a humanist though sometimes that humanism does not extend to religious people when he is upset. We get along fine and he knows I am a Muslim. I am not sure he drinks alcohol much less do drugs.

As for suicide, could be depression and hopelessness. Faith restraints are not available to an atheist in despondency, so going out with a bang or choosing euthanasia is not hard I suppose.

On the flip side, a number of Muslims committed suicide killing many innocent people along the way. These were supposedly devout beings who knew the value of life, theirs and other people's, all forbidden to take, yet, not out of depression, but of twisted mindset, they killed themselves and others.

I take the suicidal atheist over the suicidal Muslim any day. One kills him/her/self whilst the other takes others with them.

Last edited:

Trending