Why didn't the Somalis ever adopt the Arabic language? How did they preserve their own language?

As the title suggests. I know Arabic is still spoken in Somalia as an official language but not by the general population only by the like the Islamic Scholars and Ministers and other educated people. How did they preserve it to the point where the Somali language didn't become extinct amongst the majority of the population.

As the title suggests. I know Arabic is still spoken in Somalia as an official language but not by the general population only by the like the Islamic Scholars and Ministers and other educated people. How did they preserve it to the point where the Somali language didn't become extinct amongst the majority of the population.
The educated populace dont learn arabic in somalia.

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
Barre and his push for a more somalisation (if this is even a word) of the existing vocabulary

Apollo

VIP

Same reason why the Beja still speak Beja: nomadism. It is more difficult to make nomads change their language.

One ancient urban town in Somalia almost language shifted to Swahili.

tyrannicalmanager

pseudo-intellectual
Somalis women didn’t read and write before the 70s I believe that is the only reason why.
fixed your retarded post
Somali_Stone.jpg

The people who were conquered by Arabs speak Arabic today, i.e. Berbers, Nubians, etc. Somalis speak Somali because they were never conquered by any one power or nation - it took four countries to chop Greater Somalia into pieces who each spoke different languages. Somalis willingly embraced Islam well before most Arabs had even converted and we had our own written language dating back to around 3000 BC - we switched to the Wadaad script around the 7th-8th century (Somali written using the Arabic alphabet similar to Farsi) until Siad Barre changed the script to Latin.

Last edited:
Same reason why the Beja still speak Beja: nomadism. It is more difficult to make nomads change their language.

One ancient urban town in Somalia almost language shifted to Swahili.
I think you will have a greater linguistic diversity if there are different climates, and the subsistence strategy to cope with it. Later, when two languages diverge due to some form of isolation, it develops as a marker for social identity.

One interesting thing is that there is a correlation between biodiversity and linguistics: low language diversity and low species diversity, and vice versa.

Dharbash

🧊
MARQUESS OF SSC
The people who were conquered by Arabs speak Arabic today, i.e. Berbers, Nubians, etc. Somalis speak Somali because they were never conquered by any one power or nation - it took four countries to chop Greater Somalia into pieces who each spoke different languages. Somalis willingly embraced Islam well before most Arabs had even converted and we had our own written language dating back to around 3000 BC - we switched to the Wadaad script around the 7th-8th century (Somali written using the Arabic alphabet similar to Farsi) until Siad Barre changed the script to Latin.

Now that right there is history!!

:salute::salute: