Why did somalis never make cheese

So Somalis are great at making yogurt drinks, delicious butter but clueless at cheese why? They can make goat cheese or cow cheese since they're abundant with livestock. Its so hard and expensive to get cheese in Somalia since its imported, somebody needs to start a cheese company.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I've always found it odd and humorous that a pastoralist people had cheese introduced to them from the outside. But I don't think there's any particular reason like them not liking it. Just probably never fiddled with the milk to that extent. Butter, ghee and various sorts of yogurt were enough to sate their interest.

because they thought it was...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I was waiting for a serious answer, waryaa
masaajidka ciyaarta ka daa
1608987216064.png

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Thinking of starting a camel cheese company.

We do need to diversify our economy. Man such a shame lack of education ruined the previous generation.

Vanessa

Support interracial love 💕
VIP

We do need to diversify our economy. Man such a shame lack of education ruined the previous generation.
As a geel lover, I want to try camel cheese, it sounds delicious.

GemState

36/21
VIP

It's apparently harder to make cheese with Camel Milk compared to Goat Milk, but there's a definitely a market for it.

A lot of the foods Somalis ate throughout history that I've read are stuff like camel's milk and meat alongside grains that they grew or traded for. Foods that reflect a pastoralist/trade-based society. If you're going to eat cheese you need to process it

I've always found it odd and humorous that a pastoralist people had cheese introduced to them from the outside. But I don't think there's any particular reason like them not liking it. Just probably never fiddled with the milk to that extent. Butter, ghee and various sorts of yogurt were enough to sate their interest.

Yes most pastoralists communities outside of africa make cheese and it's part of their diet like the Mongolians for example, we're just not inventive enough never the kind to just mix random stuff up and see what happens kinda people.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Yes most pastoralists communities outside of africa make cheese and it's part of their diet like the Mongolians for example, we're just not inventive enough never the kind to just mix random stuff up and see what happens kinda people.

If that were true we wouldn't have discovered things like butter and ghee. Stop being a self-hater.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
It is a tiresome labor job. Somalis, we wuz lazy

I know ayeeyo is trolling but on a more serious note a lot of current day Somalis might be "lazy" but it's amazing if someone really thinks this of the old Geeljires. These chaps and chapettes' lives were not easy and their skill-sets not small in number at all.

They had to have a good understanding of topography for selecting good lands for camping, to remember various plants for medicinal and edibility purposes, to have a keen knowledge of constellations for travel, to know basic crafts for making several of their tools like utensils and setting up tents then knowing the ins and outs of how to handle, milk, handle the milk of or butcher everything from large swathes of camels to cattle to goats to sheep to donkeys and horses (no eating of anything with the last two though), gathering the materials for weaving baskets and weaving them, crafting bells for their livestock, and the setting up of their pretty complicated dome tents especially when compared to the more simple poled tents of the Middle East and knowing the ins and outs of Xeer and Sharia as well as the grazing lands of their particular tribe or how to trade in a town or dig a well and how to fight in case of a raid or to conduct one themselves then knowing how to ride a horse or use a spear, a sword, a dagger or club or even the bow and arrow in some cases.

There's a lot more and a lot of this is obviously divided between the sexes rather than known to any given single man or woman but yeah, I find it a little absurd that people think niggas who mastered the art of surviving in arid lands were "lazy".

These were hardy folk.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
The camel milk industry is worth multi-billion dollars and is expected to be the next superfood. The industry is worth more than the entire economy of Somalia.

The camel milk industry would provide various dairy products such as milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, ice cream, whip cream, milk powder and etc. You can make it into soap and cosmetic products using camel milk since it's rich and beneficial to the skin. These products can also be exported to other countries. The benefits are it would provide plenty of jobs, improve the country's infrastructure and bring significant revenue to the country's economy.

Link: https://qz.com/africa/1636775/camel-milk-will-be-your-next-superfood-thanks-to-east-africa/

The camel skin is another untapped multi-billion dollar industry. You can make handbags, wallets, belts, shoes, couches, gloves, phone covers, and etc.

It's sad Somalis are not creative with their resources and have this herd mentality of copying each other. Every day it's a new fancy hotel or restaurant.

Last edited:

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
The camel milk industry is worth multi-billion dollars and is expected to be the next superfood. The industry is worth more than the entire economy of Somalia.

The camel milk industry would provide various dairy products such as milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, ice cream, whip cream, milk powder and etc. You can make it into soap and cosmetic products using camel milk since it's rich and beneficial to the skin. These products can also be exported to other countries. The benefits are it would provide plenty of jobs, improve the country's infrastructure and bring significant revenue to the country's economy.

Link: https://qz.com/africa/1636775/camel-milk-will-be-your-next-superfood-thanks-to-east-africa/

The camel skin is another untapped multi-billion dollar industry. You can make handbags, wallets, belts, shoes, couches, gloves, phone covers, and etc.

It's sad Somalis are not creative with their resources and have this herd mentality of copying each other. Every day it's a new fancy hotel or restaurant.
Indeed. There's a huge potential for investment back home. We could all be rich and yet short sighted rival businessmen back home hire Al shabaab to kill their rivals I've hotels or restaurants. We could be a mighty nation from north to south if we realised we could all export to our neighbours instead of competing with each other over petty things.

Trending