Why are Women Discriminated In Puntland

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I don't understand why Somali males discriminate Women in clans when they are usually the strongest defenders of clan? what is the historical or cultural reason? I am up to change my mind but I consider women to have a tribe, I don't accept the line of thought that women have no tribe. I am sure u heard that saying 'nag qabil malaha'. How someone reaches such conclusion baffles me. I know children be it males or females do not 'abtirsi' to a woman. Even the name 'ab-tirsi' means your name inherited from 'abaha ama abkaga'. But this also means the children whether male or female will also inherit they're father name, so technically speaking a woman does have a clan and she does 'abtirsi'. I asked my mother 'abtirsi waa lee dahay' soo ma aha, and she said yes. I said then you do have a clan, since clan is about abtirsi and family tree network and defining who is closer and more distant to you.

I know women are not apart of the diya system, only males are registered. The diya system is like an 'insurance' scheme in puntland and wider Somalia. Each male is registered to they're ISIMO, this means if a clans-man commits an offence like murder, theft, or some other crime outside the norms of the Somali culture. All the clans-men have to pay a portion of they're camel worth. Me for example my father has a 'reserve' of 12.5 camels just in-case someone fucks up in our family or wider clan, he will have to donate the required portion of camels or 'money' as required by the nabadoon of hassan yusuf to resolve clan disputes with Issa Mahmoud, Dhulbahante, Omar Mahmoud. They are the ones who are historically and presently in our vicinity. We don't have a MAG issue with clans we don't reside obviously as the chances of a crime occuring are slim.

I think this is un-fair, a man and woman life should be equal. I hope to add some reform to this aspect of clannism in Puntland, war nagaheenu ma aha 'xoolo' layska dili karo, they have sentimental worth and we need to acknowledge this. I suggest we create a 'diya' system for women also, a separate one. Someone will not just come around and kill a bah dubays woman and I just bury her and there is no isla hisabtan. She is a member of my family god dammit and wider clan, her life is just as important to the clan as my life is.

What do you guys say?

This is only for Puntites to comment. I am not interested in Marehan-Hawiye-Isaaq view points who will just 'follow the status quo set by Majerten'. U will simply copy us when Puntites agree to something like federalism, SYL, Boqortoyo, U follow us Dubai and Salalah trade, you copy us trying to get congress position after Ilhan Omar. That is why I don't like entertaining non puntland clans, I know they won't change untill Puntland does, they are not leadership clans ama clans who take the first 'dive' in 'reforms'. They are waiting for Majerten to take the lead always.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Majeerteen have great women.

They are damn tough I give u that and exceptionally gifted and strong and leadership material in comparison to other Somali women, I don't see that 'spark' in other clans women, wallahi even my mother who is murusade gives 'props' to majerten women and says way na dhaamaan

Trending