Why are there so many somali looking yemenis?

Som

VIP
If you look at the yemeni refugees in somalia,somaliland and djibouti you can clearly see that some of them look like dark skinned arabs but some others have a unique somali/cushitic look despite not being ethnic somalis.
You can see it in this video
Keep in mind that I'm not referring to somalis coming back from yemen, but I'm talking about arab yemenis who look very much like horn africans.
I know that they have the akhdam people in yemen but those are mainly of bantu origins and you can see they don't look cushitic at all, it seems there are some other black Yemenis who resemble somalis. Any historical or genetical information on where these somali looking yemenis come from?

Arabs aren’t a monolith. They come in all shades. So for some Yemenis to have the Cushitic look when they’re literally a stone’s throw away from us isn’t entirely groundbreaking :manny:

Som

VIP
Arabs aren’t a monolith. They come in all shades. So for some Yemenis to have the Cushitic look when they’re literally a stone’s throw away from us isn’t entirely groundbreaking :manny:
Yes but how and when did hornafricans get there? We know a lot about arabs coming to the horn but we don't know much about horners going to yemen except recent events like ethiopian slaves, somali traders in aden and recent refugees

Som

VIP
I know a somali old lady who is full yemeni, I've known here for years and I didn't know she was yemeni , I always assumed she was some light skinned somali

Yes but how and when did hornafricans get there? We know a lot about arabs coming to the horn but we don't know much about horners going to yemen except recent events like ethiopian slaves, somali traders in aden and recent refugees
•Ethiopians slaves wasn't recent for example Bilal ibnu Rabah the first mu'azzin, the first black man to embrace Islam, a loyal companion of the Prophet (PBUH), he (Bilal) was an Ethiopian slave.
•Trading between Horn Africans and Arabs goes back to antiquity it’s not something recent either.
•There’s been Arab refugees that came to Somalia back in the Ottoman Era. They came to Mogadishu and helped built the city. Refugees aren’t a recent thing either .

I could go on and on. I could even answer your questions but I think the best advice is for you learn the history first.

Som

VIP
•Ethiopians slaves wasn't recent for example Bilal ibnu Rabah the first mu'azzin, the first black man to embrace Islam, a loyal companion of the Prophet (PBUH), he (Bilal) was an Ethiopian slave.
•Trading between Horn Africans and Arabs goes back to antiquity it’s not something recent either.
•There’s been Arab refugees that came to Somalia back in the Ottoman Era. They came to Mogadishu and helped built the city. Refugees aren’t a recent thing either .

I could go on and on. I could even answer your questions but I think the best advice is for you learn the history first.
Bilaal was a descendant of abyssinians who conquered yemen and were later expelled and enslaved, this ancient slave trade was minimal.. I was mainly referring to recent Oromo slaves in the 15-16 century and anyway the bulk of slaves in yemen were from the swahili coast.

Trending