Why are Somalis on average slim?

Apollo

VIP
They aren't in the West. :lol: There are BMI studies on diaspora Somalis, especially in Scandinavia countries (use Google Scholar and the women especially are not below average BMI).

In Somalia, it's likely the heat and diet.

Apollo

VIP

They compared Norwegian Somalis and Somalis in Somaliland. I think Norwegian Somalis are representative of the wider diaspora:

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
They compared Norwegian Somalis and Somalis in Somaliland. I think Norwegian Somalis are representative of the wider diaspora:

So it’s mainly due to diet and lifestyle?

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
Look at this graph (figure 1), the skinny farax meme is not just a joke but does also exist:

26.2% skinnies in Hargeisa, 1.8% in Oslo
Isn’t a 25-29% BMI classified as overweight? That seems to make up the majority of the Oslo participants

When ibn batuta went to somalia he described the people as having thick flesh. And that 1 person of them ate what a group of other people ate. He also described the food as rice cooked with fat and curry made from chicken, meat, fish and legumes. He also said theyd cook unripe banana with milk and make that as a side dish. Then they will bring yoghurt as a side dish top it with pickled and salted pepper clusters, unripe grabes, and green gingers. And theyd take a bite of these salted dishes after a bite of rice.

Compare that to somalis just eating rice, meat and bananas and calling it a day.
No wonder they are thin. Especially those back in the country. I dont think somalis were historically thin as they are now.

Genetic disposition. It's the same reason we're elite at long distance running (we don't compete as much but we see what's possible with support like Mo Farah).

We're adapted to walking long distances, and not the sedentary lifestyle in Sweden.

King Khufu

Dignified Gentlemen
Blood flow, Diet, Sun Heat, and Environmental Conditions.

On one hand, both are kind of bad when not balanced but if you're smart then you'll eat proper and excercise good.

Trending