Why are majority of Somalis in the west so poor?

Because we’re first generation refugees. This is expected. Give us a couple of generations and then we can talk. Majority of us have liter been here 15 is years, chill out give us time to graduate and build careers.

Because we’re first generation refugees. This is expected. Give us a couple of generations and then we can talk. Majority of us have liter been here 15 is years, chill out give us time to graduate and build careers.

Bullshit. FOB Indians and Pakistanis come straight from their shithole countries, and already set up businesses within their first 6 months of arriving within the country(i.e. UK/USA mainly). I ain't even talking about the upper class Indians and Pakistanis who are rich. Many of them are lower working class and can barely speak a word of English. This isn't even in the West, anywhere these guys go, the Middle East/Africa/Latin America they always do well for themselves.

Its hard work and ethic that pays off.

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
Bullshit. FOB Indians and Pakistanis come straight from their shithole countries, and already set up businesses within their first 6 months of arriving within the country. I ain't even talking about the upper class Indians and Pakistanis who are rich. Many of them are lower working class and can barely speak a word of English. This isn't even in the West, anywhere these guys go, the Middle East/Africa/Latin America they always do well for themselves.

Its hard work and ethic that pays off.

Somalis came as refugees to the West, practically no socioeconomic vetting.

Most other ethnic minorities, especially Indians and Nigerians, come as highly skilled workers under employment visas or are related/married to those highly skilled workers. Totally different dynamics.

Only the Congolese, South Sudanese, Eritreans, Afghanis, Syrians* are comparable to Somalis in how they got to the West.

*Syrians slightly less so, since they had a large Christian diaspora in the Americas prior to the recent wave.

Somalis came as refugees to the West, practically no socioeconomic vetting.

Most other ethnic minorities, especially Indians and Nigerians, come as highly skilled workers under employment visas or are related/married to those highly skilled workers. Totally different dynamics.

Only the Congolese, South Sudanese, Eritreans, Afghanis, Syrians are comparable to Somalis in how they got to the West.

So why can't Somalis do they same? The Syrians I have met outside of Europe seem to be a different breed, they set up businesses and work their asses off, the Syrians in Europe just want that free government money and Afghani's are a mixed bunch you get some of them who are successful in the food industry and then the rest of them are crime ridden thugs who engaged in fraud and theft

Congolese, South Sudanese and Eritreans are all from lazy cultures.

Apollo

VIP
So why can't Somalis do they same? Syrians I have met outside of Europe seem to be a different breed, they set up businesses and work their asses off, the Syrians in Europe just want that free government money and Afghanis are a mixed bunch you get some of them who are successful in the food industry and then the rest of them are crime ridden thugs who are engage in fraud and theft

Congolese, South Sudanese and Eriteans are all from lazy cultures.

See my last caveat on Syrians. They had established diasporas in North America and Latin America, mainly the Christian ones.

Support networks like that can help them integrate better. Also, you can argue that Syrian culture is relatively close to Western culture compared to Somali culture (easier integration).

Compared to all those other refugee groups (Congolese, Eritreans, Afghanis, South Sudanese, Iraqis), Somalis are not doing much worse.

Got to compare apples with apples.

See my last caveat on Syrians. They had established diasporas in North America and Latin America, mainly the Christian ones.

Support networks like that can help them integrate better. Also, you can argue that Syrian culture is relatively close to Western culture compared to Somali culture (easier integration).

Compared to all those other refugee groups (Congolese, Eritreans, Afghanis, South Sudanese, Iraqis), Somalis are not doing much worse.

Got to compare apples with apples.

So what the issue? How can Somalis improve, I honestly don't buy this whole excuse, my mother came from Sudan, grew up with nothing, Her mother worked in a fucking market selling fruits and her father died when she was younger and still ended up becoming a successful doctor without any connections at all, after putting in the hardwork. If my mother can make it, anyone can.

Apollo

VIP
So what the issue? How can Somalis improve, I honestly don't know this whole excuse, my mother came from Sudan, grew up with nothing, Her mother worked in a fucking market selling fruits and her father died when she was younger and still ended up becoming a successful doctor after hardwork.

If you were to find socioeconomic data on North Sudanis who came to the West as refugees, you will see they have similar issues. It is something that plagues all refugee origin groups.

Only Iranians and Vietnamese unvetted refugees seem to be doing great. First group probably because they are self-selected elites who go against the theocratic government (smarter people would do this more) and for the Vietnamese it may be that high Mongoloid IQ.

If you were to find data on North Sudanis who came to the West as refugees, you will see they have similar issues. It is something that plagues all refugee origin groups.

Only Iranians and Vietnamese unvetted refugees seem to be doing great. First group probably because they are self-selected elites who go against the theocratic government (smarter people would do this more) and for the Vietnamese it may be that high Mongoloid IQ.

I don't wanna start a racial ethnic tribal war here, but do you think certain ethnic tribes have higher I.Q.'s than other tribes. I see it alot amongst different tribes in North Sudan, Western/Southern Sudanis usually have lower IQs and are less successful than their Northern Sudani counterparts who end up becoming doctors and lawyers when they migrant to a different country.

Is that a similar case with different tribes in Somalia who migrant to the West.

Besides the reasons already mentioned, here are a few more:

-Somalis typically don't invest in the stock market and they rent instead of buying a house (an asset that usually goes up in value)

-Too many kids

-Too much remittances

-Small businesses that are uncreative and poorly run

- Opposed to interest but not welfare fraud

...i could go on

SOULSEARCHING

Hakuna matata
VIP
I feel like because most of our parents generation didn't finish school or go to school compared to indian and Pakistani business owners who went through schooling.

80% of Somali parents can't even speak English and they are too lazy to learn the language and are too busy raising 10 children.

Who will hire someone who can't speak English ?

Guardafui

Beati Pacifici.
Besides the reasons already mentioned, here are a few more:

-Somalis typically don't invest in the stock market and they rent instead of buying a house (an asset that usually goes up in value)

-Too many kids

-Too much remittances

-Small businesses that are uncreative and poorly run

- Opposed to interest but not welfare fraud

...i could go on

yup facts

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
What @IslamIsTheAnswer said and how most of them never planned to stay in the west. Every single one has this idea they're gonna be back in Somalia soon and so they never thought to save up for anything other than a house in Somalia.

See you guys think starting a business is easy in america. Africa is easier because the ideas can be brought to the table in "africa" america is advanced so whatever you think about most of the time it has been created

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Because Somalis in the west (excluding Djiboutians) are refugees who have barely been here for two decades. It takes a while to build up a successful community in a foreign country.

Trending