Why all the presidential candidates have already failed the presidency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need water on tap across the country to prevent famines, not one has promised this. They're all donating meagre foodfood rations for a few families to win votes instead of coming up with solutions.

We need investment in agricultural output. Not one has spoken about this.

Women's rights have not been mentioned by any of them. Not one has commented on the Goldogob rape or provided support to the family.

Not one has mentioned our underfunded fisheries sector.

Not one has talked about unemployment and how exactly they'd solve it.

They've yet to come up with so much as a manifesto let alone how best to solve our complicated national crises.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Because they know the people don't matter, only the MPs and how much money you can spend on bribes

:bell:

Even with one man one vote, most voters would vote out of qabyaalad. Somalis don't have any real ideological differences.

With one man one vote they'd have to try harder because there will inevitably be two or more candidates from the same clan running for presidency. This would mean they'd have to get votes from other clans which means promising development across the country. We do have ideological differences, there are anti clan vs pro clannism and religious state vs democracy with room for religious councils.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
With one man one vote they'd have to try harder because there will inevitably be two or more candidates from the same clan running for presidency. This would mean they'd have to get votes from other clans which means promising development across the country. We do have ideological differences, there are anti clan vs pro clannism and religious state vs democracy with room for religious councils.

I look at Somaliland as an example. Although I am by no means an expert, I genuinely cannot tell what if any differences there are between the parties beyond subclan rivalries.

I look at Somaliland as an example. Although I am by no means an expert, I genuinely cannot tell what if any differences there are between the parties beyond subclan rivalries.

Better than Somalia where there's like one party and 50 independent candidates.

For all it's faults the best thing about Somaliland's politics is that they limit the amount of political parties to only 3. It forces people and clans to ally with each other for their own interests.

The problem is that Somalis still operate politically on a clan level. Remember Somaliland was created by a union of clans, therefore clan elders are a major political force.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Better than Somalia where there's like one party and 50 independent candidates.

I absolutely agree. The current system makes a mockery of democracy.
For all it's faults the best thing about Somaliland's politics is that they limit the amount of political parties to only 3. It forces people and clans to ally with each other for their own interests.

The problem is that Somalis still operate politically on a clan level. Remember Somaliland was created by a union of clans, therefore clan elders are a major political force.

I think it's a step in the right direction and I applaud their efforts, although I really do wish we could somehow divorce qabiil from the political system altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.