HISTORY Who were the Paleolithic Somalis?

what are the Paleolithic maternal lineages and how common are they in somalis?

I'm still a layman, but my mtDNA (L4b2a2a) is common among groups like the Hadza and Sandawe, who are still hunter-gatherers in East Africa, so I'm guessing similar L mtDNA.

Apollo

VIP
I'm still a layman, but my mtDNA (L4b2a2a) is common among groups like the Hadza and Sandawe, who are still hunter-gatherers in East Africa, so I'm guessing similar L mtDNA.

L4 is kind of old. You have to look into the sub-clades. I think yours might actually be of Sudanese origin. It is found in the Nile Valley (Sudan, Egypt etc).

This a better example of paleolithic Somalia lineage, it is 14,400 years old and so far only found in Somalia:

reer

VIP
The Southern Ethiopia theory triggers me, lol, because I know how implausible it is.

It is only based on silly linguistic diversity arguments. No solid basis in archeology nor genetics.

The camel and nomadism wiped out linguistic diversity in Northern Somaliweyn.
nomadism does correlate with linguistic uniformity. its the main reason why the arabs spoke a mutually intelligible language despite arab parts of yemen being far from the arab frontier clans who bordered persians. same thing with somalis. but d&m speak a different language due to being sedentary. if all somalis were sedentary we would at best be like the rest of sub saharan africa with 10+ languages.

nomadism does correlate with linguistic uniformity. its the main reason why the arabs spoke a mutually intelligible language despite arab parts of yemen being far from the arab frontier clans who bordered persians. same thing with somalis. but d&m speak a different language due to being sedentary. if all somalis were sedentary we would at best be like the rest of sub saharan africa with 10+ languages.
Yeah, which would've been a shame. The domestication of the camel might be the single most important event(s) in Somali history.

Trending

Latest posts