Who Assassinated President Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke in October 1969?

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
AUN, he was a good man. Who ever killed him will answer for it in akhira. Let us make dua for our president that was taken too soon.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
The KGB wanted to install a friendly government in Xamar for years and groomed Barre and a few others for that job.

Abdirashid was the main obstacle and I think the KGB took care of him in order to create the opportunity of a coup d’état.

I don’t think Barre was involved or even knew, after all he needed plausible deniability if it went wrong.

The KGB wanted to install a friendly government in Xamar for years and groomed Barre and a few others for that job.

Abdirashid was the main obstacle and I think the KGB took care of him in order to create the opportunity of a coup d’état.

I don’t think Barre was involved or even knew, after all he needed plausible deniability if it went wrong.
I don't claim to have any deep detailed knowledge on this matter, but I think your theory seems highly unlikely.

Cabdirashiid Sharmaarke was assassinated on the 15th October 1969. The coup didn't happen until a week later on the 21st October 1969. If this was a carefully choreographed coup by the KGB, why was there nearly a week of nothing happening between the assassination and coup?

That series of events supports the theory that Afweyne's coup was opportunistic in nature, and not something that had been planned to follow quickly in the steps of a planned assassination.

Last edited:

reer

VIP
I don't claim to have any deep detailed knowledge on this matter, but I think your theory seems highly unlikely.

Cabdirashiid Sharmaarke was assassinated on the 15th October 1969. The coup didn't happen until a week later on the 21st October 1969. If this was a carefully choreographed coup by the KGB, why was there nearly a week of nothing happening between the assassination and coup?

That series of events supports the theory that Afweyne's coup was opportunistic in nature, and not something that had been planned to follow quickly in the steps of a planned assassination.
jaalle siad barre had diasgreements with pm egal. he was trying to make peace in the horn but jaalle siad and the military were arming oromo jabhads in ethiopia. against egals wishes. the military had their own ambitions and figures like gabeyre barre wanted to overthrow the western leaning government.

Siad Barre benefited from his murder and took only a week to install a brutal military dictatorship. Anyone who thinks this wasn't planned beforehand is naive.
Afweyne was the chief of the army. If he had planned to have Sharmarke killed so he could take over, why did it take a week after the assassination for him to make a move? Remember, nothing happened in the intervening week, no fighting, no arrests, nothing. He could have started the coup immediately after the assassination, what stopped him?

I think the most likely scenario is Afweyne had nothing to do with the assassination, but seized the opportunity when he realized the government post-assassination was weak and led by someone with no political muscle.

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts