An American Reporter adopted a Mixed child from Djibouti

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
I understand that the one's without fathers are but the most common mix is half Yemeni over there in general. I understand the challenges with schooling but I assume most that enter the education system for some time would be able to at least sign their names. Its evident his mother was completely illiterate. What implies to me that his mother is not mixed race is that she 'feared that he would not be accepted as he was of different parentage'. Why would she care if she were mixed herself? And why was the kid's last name Abdi? Likely her surname. She may have come from a two parent home but had no support having had this child illegitimately. What is sad is the extent of abject poverty.
Half cadaan kids tend to grow up with cuqdad and they kinda feel alienated due to looking different than their family. Eventually, they integrate well into the culture. Most of them are raised by their aunts/uncle or grandparents. When I recently went back, there was a kirishbee (bus boy) who almost looked full white but he behaved and sounded like a full geeljirre.
btw the mother of the child doesn't have her father's surname. She took her mother's name. Her middle name fadoumo is her mother's name which means she doesn't have a father.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Weird.. I stayed in Awdal and had many relatives young and old visit from dijibouti and they all spoke fluent Croissant. Asked them about the curriculem and they said its all in French so its probably a sink or swim situation for the youth
I haven't met any kid who speaks french fluently. They can understand and hold basic conversation in French by the time they reach high school but many kids are still getting dropped out of school.

I have only met one half Somali with blue eyes. It's exceedingly rare. Green is more common. And Blonde hair is even more of an oddity. His mother looks sort of Habeshi or could be slightly Yemeni mixed. No offense.
She could be mixed with Habeshi or afar. I think her father was Somali since her last name is Somali.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
She could be mixed with Habeshi or afar. I think her father was Somali since her last name is Somali.
she took her mother's name. her full name is kadra fadoumo mohamoud. fadoumo is her mother's name and mohamoud is her mother's father's name

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Half cadaan kids tend to grow up with cuqdad and they kinda feel alienated due to looking different than their family. Eventually, they integrate well into the culture. Most of them are raised by their aunts/uncle or grandparents. When I recently went back, there was a kirishbee (bus boy) who almost looked full white but he behaved and sounded like a full geeljirre.
btw the mother of the child doesn't have her father's surname. She took her mother's name. Her middle name fadoumo is her mother's name which means she doesn't have a father.

Well in Northern Somalia it's not uncommon to have two names i.e. Halimo Sadiyo or she could have selected her mother's name out of choice as a middle name. She looks full HOA. And we're around the same skin tone so I have a hard time believing she's half Somali. The most she could pass for is part Habeshi or Oromo or marginally Yemeni. I'd have an easier time buying that she's full Somali than mixed.

these exit exam test weren't hard. I used to wonder why so many kids end up failing the exam but the answer was obvious. how can you pass an exam that's written in a language you don't understand ? I went back recently and although there've been some reforms, most children are still clueless about french. even the high schoolers can't have a long conversation in french. until somali is taught in school, reer djibouti would continue to lag behind.
Is this real life? French is the language of schooling in Djibouti? What is the government thinking? If they gonna teach a non Somali language better make it English wtf

are they proud of their colonial heritage or something? What a terrible policy, esp since French is not spoken anywhere else in the region.

Seven languages are spoken in Djibouti : (1) five regional languages, three of which are seen as national, Afar, Arabic and Somali, and two spoken by Ethiopian communities and temporarily displaced immigrants, Amharic and Oromo, and (2) two Western foreign languages, French and English, mostly used in the educational and business domains respectively. Arabic is the language of Islam, the religion of the State, and it is used also in everyday life unlike English that is taught from secondary school onwards. Among those seven languages, only two, Arabic and French, have an official status. Then the two main National languages, Afar and Somali, have no official recognition despite being used in every situation and sometimes dominating others in administrative and government matters.

7 languages spoken with 3 official languages. Somali as the working language, French as language of instruction while being a useless language and not spoken widely. What a disaster of a policy for a country of 800k residents. Seems like a deliberate policy to keep the population perpetually illiterate to be honest.

edit: seems like English is taught high school and above

Last edited:

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Well in Northern Somalia it's not uncommon to have two names i.e. Halimo Sadiyo or she could have selected her mother's name out of choice as a middle name. She looks full HOA. And we're around the same skin tone so I have a hard time believing she's half Somali. The most she could pass for is part Habeshi or Oromo or marginally Yemeni. I'd have an easier time buying that she's full Somali than mixed.
possibly. she does look full habesha or half yemeni than half cadaan and there are many ethiopian prostitutes in djibouti.
In djibouti a full name consist of your name, your father's and your grandfather's name. it's a lot different than the west.
Is this real life? French is the language of schooling in Djibouti? What is the government thinking? If they gonna teach a non Somali language better make it English wtf

are they proud of their colonial heritage or something? What a terrible policy, esp since French is not spoken anywhere else in the region.

7 languages spoken with 3 official languages. Somali as the working language, French as language of instruction while being a useless language and not spoken widely. What a disaster of a policy for a country of 800k residents. Seems like a deliberate policy to keep the population perpetually illiterate to be honest.

yeah just like other french colonies. french is taught from first grade and some basic arabic is taught from middle school. they only learn how to read and write english in high school.

This adoptee is a weirdo walahi. He looked through hundreds of photos with kids in em only to pick out the most lightskin of them all? Wtf?

He also says "This kid is smart, he is clever" like all the other kids weren't.

His name was then changed from Ayaanle, one the most OG/Respectable Ethnic Somali names to what? Jonah??

Currently this kid doesn't have an ounce of Somalinimo in him & is one of the reasons why, I don't like intermixing.

Gtfo.

I heard its because its Somali & afar needed 1 common language & they both didn't want to make the other the official language so they stick with the colonial lamguage French . & I think its typicall for French colonies to adopt French by force

Honestly he was better off being adopted. He would have had a terrible life in Djibouti. Not only bc of poverty but bc the shame and stigma of being a “bastard child” of a French soldier would have followed him forever. His name alone would give him away because he had his mother’s name. At least he is able to be a regular kid in America. It would have been better if he was adopted into a regular two parent home instead of with a single dude though

Apollo

VIP
There are some Djiboutians who mixed with people from other parts of the French empire. Seen it before on 23andMe.

For all we know, his mother could be half Seychellois, half Malagasy etc or some other strange stuff. Perhaps that's why she was open to mixing with a French guy.

The adopted kid also doesn't look classically half Somali like Maya Jama. He doesn't give me Cushite vibes at all. Would have believed if he said he was 3/4 White, 1/4 AA/Jamaican.

Xoxoxo

VIP

You have french there as a main language because you have other ethnicities, Afar being the second largest.
1638952877703.jpeg

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
His mother looking mixed, homeless and uneducated means that she as well is mixed outside wedlock. Very sad and hard breaking for her and her son.

And why most of you is annoyed by his father's decision to give him white name, like would you give your adopted child a Somali name? I totally would.

Trending