WHITE MALE Founder of Abaarso School groomed a young Somali girl!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Yep, Somalis have an agenda which is why I can’t take this abaarso story seriously. In the beginning I was all pumped up throwing words such as disgusting around and if he did actually groom her then shame on him. Isaaqs are defending it and Daroods who don’t even usually care about a 12 yr old marrying the local 60 yr old macaalin in Gaarowe have a lot to say. Maybe, just maybe they should focus on their own home town.

Somalis back home don’t understand the concept of grooming, dugsi macaalins back home routinely marry their students, so obviously, Fahima isn’t going to realize she’s being groomed.

What I’m going to say is controversial and I’m not means okay with this, I think it’s disgusting that this ajnabi who was invited to teach took advantage, but the only reason why it’s being seen as a national scandal
Is because he’s ajnabi.

If it was a ducsi macaalin or a Somali teacher and us girls started to talk about ‘grooming’ we’d be called Western Feminists and we’d be given long lectures about how 14 yr olds are allowed to get married Islamically, therefore they’re old enough to not be preyed upon ect.

My point is, let’s be consistent and call a spade a spade.
Consistent indeed, we must be, and anyone accusing you of being a feminist by raising the grooming issue, is someone operating in the dark, and lost as to what grooming entails. To truly understand the grooming issue, one must visit Asia, particularly Thailand, Indonesia etc, where one would see paedophiles, mostly of European older men, who have fallen off the sideways in their native countries, not only grooming young boys and girls, but entire families.

I know not if that is the case here with respect to the Abaarso saga, however one form of paedophilia is no different from another. If Dugsi, or school teachers are engaging in paedophilic practices, speak, and loudly, against those, we must. And the same applies here, provided there is veracity in the claims, and proved to be so.

I am more interested in Jonathan Starr, what do we know about him? Could one of the online warrior detectives dig up his background story? When we know the facts, then, and only then, could we engage in a meaningful discussion.

Postscript:
What older white men do in other nations, is indeed a concern, but not as much of a concern for me as what they might get up to in ardu Somal.

What one man does in a Somali region, or to a Somali community, is as applicable to any, and regions, and communities. Othering indeed beget out downfall!

Here is a relevant coverage.
Child grooming at Abaarso school by David Santon.

Last edited:
Jonathan Starr's official bio; what about the non-official? A philanthropist, but not an educator before Abaarso. Still, no red flags.

Jonathan Starr
Founder, Abaarso School of Science and Technology

Jonathan Starr founded and became Headmaster of the Abaarso School of Science and Technology, a non-profit educational organization in Somaliland, in 2008. In December 2015, he passed on the headmaster position to lead Abaarso’s largest donor, the Horn of Africa Education Development Fund. Despite its brief existence, Abaarso School has broken a decades long drought in Somali education with unprecedented success, including placing students at Harvard, Yale, Brown, MIT, Amherst, and Swarthmore. Abaarso now has 80 students attending highly regarded universities and private schools around the world. This has all been accomplished while operating at a cost structure that is a small fraction of similar schools in Africa and the Middle East.

From 2004 to 2008, Jonathan founded and led Flagg Street Capital, a private investment firm that managed $170 million of investor assets. Prior to Flagg Street, Jonathan worked as an Analyst at SAB Capital and at Blavin and Company, both well-respected private investment firms. His career started as a Research Associate within the Taxable Bond Division at Fidelity Investments. In addition to his full-time professional responsibilities, Jonathan sat on the Board of Directors of Pomeroy IT Solutions, a publicly traded US information technology company generating approximately $500 million of annual sales. Jonathan’s board responsibilities included acting as a member of the Audit Committee, the Advisory Committee, and the Special Committee (strategic alternatives) of Pomeroy.

Jonathan graduated from Emory University, where he received a B.A. Summa Laude in Economics and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

Family connection;

Jonathan Starr is not Muslim, but he does have a family connection to Somaliland. His aunt married a man from here, whom she met in the U.S., Starr's uncle Billeh Osman. He was the one who convinced Starr to come for a visit and do something to help.

A dated, but interesting interview by Wardheer News.

He brings up investing half a.million dollars of hus own money to start the school a few times, which is neither charitable nor Christian of him.

'They learned that I had donated a half million dollars of my personal wealth, and was working 90 hours each week without any pay, for nothing more than the good of the school and its students'.

Jonathan: My interest in Somaliland originally came from my uncle, Billeh Osman, who is from Erigavo. While Billeh has lived in the US since I was young, he often spoke of his home country.

[...]
Jonathan: I could fill a book with the lessons I’ve learned in establishing Abaarso, mostly because the first four years put us through more injustices than I thought I would see in my entire
lifetime. The faculty and I had moved across the world to assist Somali children, and on top of that I had donated a half million dollars. One would think we would be embraced for this or at
least left alone to do our work. Unfortunately some unethical individuals instead tried to undermine our efforts. At that time all kinds of hideous things were said and written about us, often from people who’d never even met us and had only heard false rumors. Our students
would go home to Hargeisa or Burao and have people who knew nothing but rumors tell them that they are being missionized. If these people knew anything about the school they would have seen that we have a mosque on campus and our teachers sign a contract that this is a Muslim school and they won’t teach any other religion. Unfortunately the truth often spreads slowly so those spreading these lies had years in which they were the only real voice. It got so bad that on one website someone wrote, “if we kill a few of them then the rest will go home.”

A link to the interview.

This lady is the biggest hypocrite :mjlol: :mjlol:
No she is not. Somali adeer wants you as a nurse and a slave while this guy added to her life. He brought her to america gave her education and probably paid for her rent and schooling here so I can see why she married him. What a catch

No she is not. Somali adeer wants you as a nurse and a slave while this guy added to her life. He brought her to america gave her education and probably paid for her rent and schooling here so I can see why she married him. What a catch
Sounds rather transactional, does it not? Worldly gains justify all, and nothing else matters. I used to scoff at some elements of the Asian cultures for their predilection of the material world, thinking ours was finer, but it is as if we have sunk to a level even lower than theirs. Or am I pontificating from Eiffel tower?

May we rid poverty of our all!

Last edited:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Sounds rather transactional, does it not? Worldly gains justify all, and nothing else matters. I used to scoff at some elements of the Asian cultures for their predilection of the material world, thinking ours was finer, but it is as if we have sunk to a level even lower than theirs. Or am I pontificating from Eiffel tower?

His net worth is in the millions, so some women, particularly those who hail from that region, are congratulatory. However, they forget that it is ethically wayward for a Founder of a School which is a pipeline from abject poverty to Ivy League, to marry his former student. Even if he did not groom her like it is alleged, it looks bad, according to optics. However, no one would indeed care if you changed his ethnicity to Somali. I notice cadaan men get the reputation of having a predatorial or sexualizing element to their 'philanthropy' in the developing world. Likely because this frequently happens, but I'm sure it's not always the case. And if this happened in America, where a poor cadaan girl from a working-class background. A little Annie type was privileged to attend a parochial school that granted her access to elite institutions riding a full scholarship and she went from the headmaster’s star student to spouse that people would have something to say. I mean you shouldn’t marry Daddy Warbucks and there is something odd by him going along with it. I suppose people don't care.​

His net worth is in the millions, so some women, particularly those who hail from that region, are congratulatory. However, they forget that it is ethically wayward for a Founder of a School which is a pipeline from abject poverty to Ivy League, to marry his former student. Even if he did not groom her like it is alleged, it looks bad, according to optics. However, no one would indeed care if you changed his ethnicity to Somali. I notice cadaan men get the reputation of having a predatorial or sexualizing element to their 'philanthropy' in the developing world. Likely because this frequently happens, but I'm sure it's not always the case. And if this happened in America, where a poor cadaan girl from a working-class background. A little Annie type was privileged to attend a parochial school that granted her access to elite institutions riding a full scholarship and she went from the headmaster’s star student to spouse that people would have something to say. I mean you shouldn’t marry Daddy Warbucks and there is something odd by him going along with it. I suppose people don't care.​
True, we are conditioned to suspect there being a tale where an anomaly is being detected.

I have not seen material data to suggest ill-intentions on the part of Mr Starr, and with his family connection to the region, I am hesitant to even remotely presume perversion on his part, not just to his pride, but to other students at his mercy, but I ask myself: would Fahima married Jonathan, had she been of an affluent family, or even residing in a good country?

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
True, we are conditioned to suspect there being a tale where an anomaly is being detected.

I have not seen material data to suggest ill-intentions on the part of Mr Starr, and with his family connection to the region, I am hesitant to even remotely presume perversion on his part, not just to his pride, but to other students at his mercy, but I ask myself: would Fahima married Jonathan, had she been of an affluent family, or even residing in a good country?
I do not agree with slander, either. I think a major concern is her being a former student. She is an adult and can do as she pleases. I do not think she would have married him if she had come from a wealthy background, and it might have proved more challenging if she had been born and raised in the West. Nevertheless, it depends on the woman in particular and what she values. Many prefer well-off men and may be able to overlook the hurdle of sizable age gaps or ethnic differences (provided they share the same religious beliefs) in the service of self-interest/ material gain.​

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
A man defending his kin? The good ol' classic, kkk :ulyin:

In all honesty, most people here would have indifferent opinions if it were one of their own chasing the bag :drakekidding:
One day will Jonathan Starr become the first gentleman of Somaliland? She appears very politically ambitious and wants to be President in the future. I don't know how receptive they are to female leadership let alone from Reer Joe Starr but they may become progessive. Who knows?
jonathan-joestar-jjba.gif

One day will Jonathan Starr become the first gentleman of Somaliland? She appears very politically ambitious and wants to be President in the future. I don't know how receptive they are to female leadership let alone from Reer Joe Starr but they may become progessive. Who knows?
jonathan-joestar-jjba.gif

Let's hope that SL survives, before it reaches that stage. At this point, they need a godsent saviour, kkk :lolbron:

The Abaarso rumors seems to have caught firestorm among all Somalis. I don't think the will be able to fully brush-off all of the negative connotations, when the Starr power-couple decides to aim for the elite limelight of SL. Though, we Somalis tend to have different standards when it comes to Ajnabis. In any case, I'll take your words for it. Great aspirations nevertheless:leon:

I do not agree with slander, either. I think a major concern is her being a former student. She is an adult and can do as she pleases. I do not think she would have married him if she had come from a wealthy background, and it might have proved more challenging if she had been born and raised in the West.​
You know what, having just caught clips of her on her twitter, it does not look like she is the foolhardy sort to be groomed. She is a force of nature, and if anything, he might have been a target, as some suggested.

Many prefer well-off men and may be able to overlook the hurdle of sizable age gaps or ethnic differences (provided they share the same religious beliefs) in the service of self-interest/ material gain.​
And truth be told, there is a bit of a 'sugar daddy' practice in our culture.

You know what, having just caught clips of her on her twitter, it does not look like she is the foolhardy sort to be groomed. She is a force of nature, and if anything, he might have been a target, as some suggested.

And truth be told, there is a bit of a 'sugar daddy' practice in our culture.

She was hosted by an American family at a young age. There's rumors about it being Jonathan's mother that hosted her, but we don't really know anything except the last name of her host family (she posted it on her FB years ago as a child). She also seems to come from a poor, dysfunctional family as she has stated some shit (perhaps BS?) about her uncles wanting to marry her off from a young age and that they did not want her getting an education. There's a high likelihood that she was groomed.

It’s always transactional except had she married older Somali guy she would be the one carrying all it most of the baggage. A lot of times in those cases the girl is blatantly being used to his advantage with no regard to her well being. So yes she won so does he. Allah says in the Quran men are the providers and protectors of women for a reason.

Trending