White boy gets laughed at by young Somali millennials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubble

VIP
The comments section. White people getting really worked up over the 'shaming' 'white guilt inducement' and even this:

Wow, if Somali people can get so up in arms about something as small as a banana, perhaps it's a bit more understandable that they've kept a civil war going for 30 years now.

He wasn't being shamed, people were just laughing because its funny not because 'he was wrong' omg they need to relax.

Hatredfree

I got boomer connections
VIP
The comments section. White people getting really worked up over the 'shaming' 'white guilt inducement' and even this:

He wasn't being shamed, people were just laughing because its funny not because 'he was wrong' omg they need to relax.

Let me read the comments.

White people will hit you and then cry.
They're just ridiculous like that.
:drakekidding:

Hubble

VIP
  • NEVoter
Another rice tip: In the Caribbean, mix a little of the rice with a little of the black beans, then take them on your fork to eat them. Eating rice and beans separately just isn't done!
I would've thought the banana was dessert. The lamb and rice go together well(as does the salad)flavor-wise, but the banana? Not so much. Would they consider it disrespectful to not eat it until after? I hope not and would politely take a nibble here and there out of respect for Somali custom, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy eating a banana with a main course unless it was fried up Caribbean style. Anyway, props to the this guy for admitting he was clueless and being able to laugh at... » more

booooo hooooo he didnt eat the banana, you know how many american food fails i see with Mediterranean food? i let them be, eat however is comfortable to them.
Good article. Nice to see someone willing publicly open up to their (honest) mistake and in doing so educate other readers.

God forbid I commit a culinary faux pas in an American-Somalia restaurant - the horror!

@Shrillary Rotten Clinton You'll be OK if you just eat without blasting it to the Twitter universe.

• Bonnie Ferron
Thanks for the heads up.
  • MarkinHou
Wow, if Somali people can get so up in arms about something as small as a banana, perhaps it's a bit more understandable that they've kept a civil war going for 30 years now. One shouldn't feel the need to research before trying ethnic cuisines. All of my best discoveries have been driving along at lunch time and seeing a hole-in-the-wall with a sign for Persian or Bosnian or Ethiopian food and impulsively pulling in and trying them. Mocking someone for not knowing is extremely rude, most people... » more

I went to an Ethiopian restaurant and I asked for a spoon and the server shamed me into using my hands. The next time I went back, I brought my own spoon to bypass the server's cultural protectionism.

Flag
  • j.d.troughton
This "LOL what a fool" response doesn't work at ALL coming from a smaller, more obscure culture. You have to be the omnipresent hegemony of an America or Britain or Rome, which everyone could be expected to know a lot about, for this to not come off as forced, awkward, and neurotically political and over-compensatory.

Flag
  • Consumer Probe
It's actually okay to eat food from different cultures and not feel embarassed about not doing it "the proper way" and experiencing white guilt.

Masaasbaa

Meticulously calculated...........
I went to an Ethiopian restaurant and I asked for a spoon and the server shamed me into using my hands. The next time I went back, I brought my own spoon to bypass the server's cultural protectionism

I don't understand this mentality :what1::chrisfreshhah::drakegrin:

Hatredfree

I got boomer connections
VIP
Screenshot_2016-05-25-19-41-02-1.png
Screenshot_2016-05-25-19-42-34-1.png

Screenshot_2016-05-25-19-41-53-1.png

@KowDheh
:cryinglaughsmiley:this rednecks no chills

Hubble

VIP
This is what the author wanted. I sensed from the tone of the article that his fragile ego was broken into millions of pieces because a bunch of teenagers and 20 somethings 'corrected' him on how to eat a banana. He wanted people to congratulate him and pat him on the back for going to a Somali cafe because 'oh how sweet of him to visit one of those cafes'. The response was full on but not malicious and people need to relax.

Hatredfree

I got boomer connections
VIP
This is what the author wanted. I sensed from the tone of the article that his fragile ego was broken into millions of pieces because a bunch of teenagers and 20 somethings 'corrected' him on how to eat a banana. He wanted people to congratulate him and pat him on the back for going to a Somali cafe because 'oh how sweet of him to visit one of those cafes'. The response was full on but not malicious and people need to relax.

Somali restaurants are actually popular with foreigners, I don't know what his intention was he even lamp bit politics in it. Besides these other stone age neanderthal cavebeast dna carrying caucasians are just salty we told one of theirs to stop playing with our food, Somalis don't give two fucks or sugarcoat. "Eat the banana white boy". :cryinglaughsmiley:

Status
Not open for further replies.