Where does the 'Garee' verb stem come from?

Of course we are all aware of the handy verb stem, -garee, which turns any foreign verb into a Somali one. The mark of the diaspora and hooyo mataalos.

Does anyone actually know where it comes from? I've heard that there's something similar in some South Asian languages but I'm not entirely sure.

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
no idea honestly. But it fits so well with Somali language lol.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Which words contain 'garee'?
when there’s an english verb and you add garee to the end like.

β€œgurigaan cleangareeynayaa”

β€œI’m cleaning the house”. You took the english verb clean, added garee and then conjugated it using somali grammar.

when there’s an english verb and you add garee to the end like.

β€œgurigaan cleangareeynayaa”

β€œI’m cleaning the house”. You took the english verb clean, added garee and then conjugated it using somali grammar.

:wowsweat: Phewww, here I was thinking my Af-Soomaali is lacking.

I believe this is called Code-switching

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
:wowsweat: Phewww, here I was thinking my Af-Soomaali is lacking.

I believe this is called Code-switching
yeah but where did this β€œgaree” originate from? And why is it such an integral part of Somali language almost everyone would understand you.

"garee: suffix used with foreign word to make a verb." (1).
" another strategy is reportedly used by Somali speakers in London. Here, compounding with the verb garee (described as a verb maker by Zorc and Osman 1993) is used frequently, as in print-garee and edit-garee (Martin Orwin, p.c. 2016)." (2).

(1)- Abwaan cusub oo Af-Soomaali iyo Af-Ingiriisiya. A. A. Farah 1995.
(2)-The Oslo Dialect of Somali Tonal adaptations of Norwegian loanwords. Nina Hagen Kaldhol 2017.

Trending

Latest posts