Where Can I find Information on The Somali Language

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm writing an essay about the Somali language. I was wondering if you guys could provide me with good sources about the Somali language and the general structure of it. And also information about the different dialects, which dialect is the original one and how that developed.

I know the basic stuff like that Somali is a Cushitic language but I need more. And also I have a question, Would you say that colonisation had a linguistic effect on Af Somali? Like, if you compare southern Somali with Northern Somali you would notice that northern Somali have more Italien words whiles the northern Somali have more English words. And also who have the purest form of Somali? Also Who has the tiniest Arabic influence in their dialect?

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
Half of Somali words are either Italian, Arabic, Ethiopian, Hindi, English, and Afar.:gucciwhat:

Find in your research what are pure Somali words and if we loaned words out or did other languages loan their words to us.:cosbyhmm:

halwa

✨🌙
I'm writing an essay about the Somali language. I was wondering if you guys could provide me with good sources about the Somali language and the general structure of it. And also information about the different dialects, which dialect is the original one and how that developed.

I know the basic stuff like that Somali is a Cushitic language but I need more. And also I have a question, Would you say that colonisation had a linguistic effect on Af Somali? Like, if you compare southern Somali with Northern Somali you would notice that northern Somali have more Italien words whiles the northern Somali have more English words. And also who have the purest form of Somali? Also Who has the tiniest Arabic influence in their dialect?

Are you studying Linguistics?

The syntax of focus & topic in Somali by John Ibrahim Saeed is good. It looks at the rules and processes that govern Somali sentences and word. I’m currently reading this book.

Good read. Here is the pdf version: https://eprints.soas.ac.uk/28547/1/10672706.pdf

This one is also good for grammar studies:

C29C34CB-D588-4F00-8E95-A05589442FFF.jpeg

This one too:

33A38690-15D8-4E32-8B45-08225430528F.jpeg

Last edited:

Invader

👾pʅɹoʍ pǝʇɐʅǝxᴉd ɐ uᴉ ƃuᴉʌᴉʅ👾
Half of Somali words are either Italian, Arabic, Ethiopian, Hindi, English, and Afar.:gucciwhat:

Find in your research what are pure Somali words
Not Hindi Ethiopian or Afar and add French for Djiboutians

Samaalic Era

QurboExit

The thing is that there is almost if not, no written Old Af Somali that exists today which makes it difficult to know the original af Somali. The structure is SOV. In Somalia today, using foreign loan words is seen to be sign of being educated which is killing the language

Invader

👾pʅɹoʍ pǝʇɐʅǝxᴉd ɐ uᴉ ƃuᴉʌᴉʅ👾

Most words carried by other languages were introduced like Arabs introduced Somalis with soap and Italians taught us Forks and Macaroni the French told us Fries etc

halwa

✨🌙

Yes. Colonisation played a big part in the Somali language. Like us reer Bari, I am speaking for myself, in my household we use a lot of Italian words like Farmajo, gelato, fargeto, etc.

Thank you all for your help!

How many dialects in Somali are there and also which dialect is the original one. Did the difference in dialects occur when some clans migrated south and they developed separately?

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Are you studying Linguistics?

The syntax of focus & topic in Somali by John Ibrahim Saeed is good. It looks at the rules and processes that govern Somali sentences and word. I’m currently reading this book.

Good read. Here is the pdf version: https://eprints.soas.ac.uk/28547/1/10672706.pdf

This one is also good for grammar studies:

View attachment 67511

This one too:

View attachment 67512

I have studied Af Somali and the current format is outdated. Af Somali needs 1000s if not 10,000s of new words with Somali root origin while effectively removing foreign words. I dont know how no Somali back home is not bothered by it. May Allah swt help us

Yes. Colonisation played a big part in the Somali language. Like us reer Bari, I am speaking for myself, in my household we use a lot of Italian words like Farmajo, gelato, fargeto, etc.

Yeah same, I 've noticed Slanders have some English words in their dialect ex. they say towel instead of shukuman (as we say it).

halwa

✨🌙
I have studied Af Somali and the current format is outdated. Af Somali needs 1000s if not 10,000s of new words with Somali root origin. I dont know how no Somali back home is not bothered by it. May Allah swt help us

Saeed is the best one and he is pretty much the only that exists. I will have to look for others but I did use him for both my bachelors and masters studies.

I know it is outdated. There just isn’t enough research on the Somali language

halwa

✨🌙
Yeah same, I 've noticed Slanders have some English words in their dialect ex. they say towel instead of shukuman (as we say it).

If you look around there bound to be something. I will share with you whatever resources I find.

Ask your lecturer if they know of any recourses since it is hard to find anything on Somali.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts