When will Somalia ever build roads?

Building roads/highways is an incredibly complex and expensive process. There's an entire engineering dicipline that solely focues on just that. Highway geometric design alone is a headfuck, much less anything else lol

You can't just slap a bit of asphalt on the ground a call it a day, you need people with expertise.

View attachment 197949
View attachment 197950

Geometric designs can be done pretty easily with software packages like civil3d. You put geographical data into the package and the software will pick the safest, fastest, and most cost effective route (limited cut and fill volumes) its kind of crazy.

which pics or video do you want?.
nvm i saw some pics in another thread. they do suck.

one of the very challenging things that somalia needs to overcome is the lack of skills in all trades. Its not even that there's not a lot of people with those skills, its that there's none at all. You can tell those roads are done by amateurs.

Ahmed Ato

Self-interest
nvm i saw some pics in another thread. they do suck.

one of the very challenging things that somalia needs to overcome is the lack of skills in all trades. Its not even that there's not a lot of people with those skills, its that there's none at all. You can tell those roads are done by amateurs.
they don't spend that much and they intend them to be temporary as of now.

Geometric designs can be done pretty easily with software packages like civil3d. You put geographical data into the package and the software will pick the safest, fastest, and most cost effective route (limited cut and fill volumes) its kind of crazy.
I was trying to illustrate how complex it can be. Saying "we need more roads" kind of diminishes the hardwork that goes into building a country's infrastructure wallahi. Classic easier said than done type shit.

You can use software like civil3d or civsky but if they don't have a real understanding of things like structural analysis/design etc, they'll shit bricks the moment they encounter a problem that's beyond the software's scope. We desperately need experienced engineers back home, I honestly can't wait to do my part at some point inshallah:stressed:

I was trying to illustrate how complex it can be. Saying "we need more roads" kind of diminishes the hardwork that goes into building a country's infrastructure wallahi. Classic easier said than done type shit.

You can use software like civil3d or civsky but if they don't have a real understanding of things like structural analysis/design etc, they'll shit bricks the moment they encounter a problem that's beyond the software's scope. We desperately need experienced engineers back home, I honestly can't wait to do my part at some point inshallah:stressed:

Good point.

The construction is the tricky part. You need a lot of capital to construct quarries and asphalt plant. You needs dozens and dozens of trucks to supply sufficient aggregates and asphalt to the construction site.

The plant you need to construct the road itself is incredibly expensive. Take a grader for example. A new 140M grader will cost in excess of 600k, and another 90k for GPS level control equipment. A new paver will cost you something like 800k. This is only for 2 items of plant.

There is also the quality side. Are the aggregates suitable for roadbase? Has the asphalt mix been designed properly? Has enough compactive effort been used on all the subsequent pavement layers? ETC.

I could go on but I hope people get the idea.

Building roads/highways is an incredibly complex and expensive process. There's an entire engineering dicipline that solely focues on just that. Highway geometric design alone is a headfuck, much less anything else lol

You can't just slap a bit of asphalt on the ground a call it a day, you need people with expertise.

View attachment 197949
View attachment 197950
I remember doing this in one of my modules. So much thinking goes into building roads

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
With what money and what intelligence? Government workers will steal the funds western taxpayers gave them dedicated to a road project and not pay the Chinese workers who came to do 1 km of road. Clan elders will not then be able to do their typical photo op for their clan news site. No one even maintains the new roads (which are shitty and look to have done by a special needs person).

I have lost all hope for Somalia and Africa. Did you know North America is moving away from a specific font they use for road signs because many years of studies have shown that the one used for decades is not as readable when you're going at certain speeds? This is why there are two fonts, the latter is slowly replacing the former. The newer font is much better for drivers who need to take exits or plan ahead. Now let's apply this to Somalia. You can't. I don't think people understand how stone age Somalia is.
To have done by a special needs person that shit made me laugh :russ:

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
You don't build high volumes roads out of this stuff. Its only really okay for driveways and alleyways.

Personally I like bluestone pavers much better.

View attachment 197948
These roads below me are in kabul they look good. somalis should get these type of roads for their citties but the problem is who is gonna take care of it when it breaks or when it gets old

images (64).jpeg
611cfe70540ba3052adad551_o_U_v2.jpg

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
It shouldn't. We should invest more in someday installing high-speed rail and minimizing cars and roads as much as possible. Mostly just highways that connect the cities and towns and go around them rather than through them like in the United States or where I live in the UAE. Somalis, if they have sense, should invest in creating very walkable, car-free or mostly car-free cities using medieval to early modern Somali coastal architecture as well as various sorts of architectural designs from the historical Islamic world. Would be nice for tourism and pleasing to the local people's eyes and quality of life.

Urban sprawl and car focused cities are a disaster and a thing of the past, saxiibs:

We'd be better served building towns and cities like Fez and filling them with trees for a cooling canopy and using all that extra land we'd waste on roads, suburbs and parking lots for creating things like rotational grazing land and food or national park forests.

Last edited:

Trending