When does a word become “Somali” ?

Recently, someone posted a list of words used by people in southern Somalia, which originally come from a colonial language.

I have recognized a few of those words on the list. Moreover, these few words are actually part of my vocabulary too, despite me not being from South Somalia.

However, most of the words on the list are unfamiliar to me. Yet, they were called 'Somali loanwords.' How do these words become Somali if they are not widely accepted in both literature and orally? Are these words even considered Somali if the majority of Somali speakers do not understand them, except in one city or region?

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
Recently, someone posted a list of words used by people in southern Somalia, which originally come from a colonial language.

I have recognized a few of those words on the list. Moreover, these few words are actually part of my vocabulary too, despite me not being from South Somalia.

However, most of the words on the list are unfamiliar to me. Yet, they were called 'Somali loanwords.' How do these words become Somali if they are not widely accepted in both literature and orally? Are these words even considered Somali if the majority of Somali speakers do not understand them, except in one city or region?
All languages have loan words from foreign nations.
English is essentially a creole of old nordic, germanic, Latin (french) and geek. It mixed up so many diffent words from different languages

Trending

Latest posts