When did Somalis become nomadic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like this is the point in our history when we fucked up. When we started discriminating on the remaining artisan Somalis and when we lost our useful traditions like boat making, fishing, farming etc It's probably how clan wars began as well. Anyone know when we became nomadic?

maestro

Cultural revolution
Don't you know Nomadic pastoralism is older than Agriculture? Proto-AfroAsiatic people were Nomads before the ones in the Middle East and West Africa started to develop agriculture and civilization. So we were always Nomads.

Not just Afroasiatic but also IndoEuropean

Nin xun

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
I feel like this is the point in our history when we fucked up. When we started discriminating on the remaining artisan Somalis and when we lost our useful traditions like boat making, fishing, farming etc It's probably how clan wars began as well. Anyone know when we became nomadic?
Somalis became nomadic due to the fact the the areas they came from where semi arid and not being able to support agriculture as easily as more fertile areas. They never lost boatmaking though, what are you even talking about? Reasons why clans engaging in other modes of food production other than pastoralism were opressed was because the nomadic pastoralists wanted to increase their own power in somali society.

Last edited:

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
Our nomadic culture is why we have the longest coast in Africa, and our land occupied in by Somalis would be the 16th largest country in the world, all while maintaining a very small population.

Nomads (i.e the Mongols, Arabs) conquered much of the world.

With that being said, I hope we (Somalis) are able to transition ourselves from our old nomadic culture into the modern world whilst still holding onto our pastoralist roots.

maestro

Cultural revolution
Somalis became nomadic due to the fact the the areas they came from where semi arid and not being able to support agriculture as easily as more fertile areas. They never lost boatmaking though, what are you even talking about? Reasons why clans engaging in other modes of food production other than pastoralism were opressed was because the nomadic pastoralists wanted to increase their own power in somali society.

No we were never into agriculture. We were always Pastoralists going back to our AfroAsiatic roots. When civilization was started was when Agriculture was adopted by some AfroAsiatic people like Ancient Egyptians and Babylonians.

Most AfroAsiatic people like us are still are mostly nomadic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending