What'd it be like if MSB stepped down from power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bohol

VIP
Okay but that was because the government was centralised and they would gain more money by investing in Xamar and the South which all Somalis lived in at the time. The employement rate, poverty, literacy rate, standards of living were all much higher than they are today. The rebellion didn't gain traction among the majority of Isaaq until the government started indiscriminately targeting citizens.

But tell me, where is all of the money and revenue that the Somaliland government earns today? At least the other government built the cement factory, the Berbera port, the hundreds of thousands of nomads they were helping(moving them to the coast, to the fertile regions in the south, water infrastructure etc), and built the main roads for the North. Today hundreds of millions are being stolen every year and not even 1 % is being invested into the country!

Somaliland government is not better than the Siad Bare government of 1969-1980 however it is better than the one of 1981-1991 for Somaliland at-least.

World

VIP
Somaliland government is not better than the Siad Bare government of 1969-1980 however it is better than the one of 1981-1991 for Somaliland at-least.
I agree. There is no doubt that a poor government that is very corrupt is better than a government that is butchering and killing you for your clan.

Professor

The name is Professor, Haji Professor
hooyadaa was, big words coming from a ciyaal. why are you still in my thread you emotional qaxbad
how is a girl chatting shit to me. Akhi I would kick he living day lights out of you even if youre a female little fucking . U think ur sick behind a computer screen akhi. U wouldn't be the first halimo I have slapped up.

If Siad Barre stepped down from power in 1978, he would be remembered as a man who accepted defeat and let power in better hands.

He decided to keep in power and somalis remember him as a killer.

Professor

The name is Professor, Haji Professor
If Siad Barre stepped down from power in 1978, he would be remembered as a man who accepted defeat and let power in better hands.

Antonio my favourite Cuban what's up g

Xooshdheere

how do i use this

agreed, my Cuban jaalle.
That man was short sighted and power hungry. We went from first elected president in Africa, peaceful transfer of power for 3 successive gov'ts, 2-champer Parliament, profes, constitution etc to anarchy, corruption, communism, tribalism and failed state etc.
He had many opportunities to step down and let someone democratically elected take over, instead chose to be power hungry and not step down.

agreed, my Cuban jaalle.
That man was short sighted and power hungry. We went from first elected president in Africa, peaceful transfer of power for 3 successive gov'ts, 2-champer Parliament, profes, constitution etc to anarchy, corruption, communism, tribalism and failed state etc.
He had many opportunities to step down and let someone democratically elected take over, instead chose to be power hungry and not step down.

His biggest fault was overvaluing loyalty. In the end, the people he trusted the most made the stupidest mistakes that ultimately ended the regime. I don't fault him for not stepping down when Somalia's biggest adversary at the time was Mengistu. It wasn't feasible holding elections with Mengistu openly attacking Somalia through his proxies or by his own army. In fact, MSB was the best person available at the time to handle Mengistu. MSB (AUN) managed to stay toe-to-toe with him even when his rival was getting supported with billions of dollars from the USSR whereas he was only getting millions with the condition his army stay on the defense.

MSB stepping down wouldn't have stopped Mengistu from trying to destroy the republic nor would have gotten the Ethiopian backed rebels to give up.

World

VIP
His biggest fault was overvaluing loyalty. In the end, the people he trusted the most made the stupidest mistakes that ultimately ended the regime. I don't fault him for not stepping down when Somalia's biggest adversary at the time was Mengistu. It wasn't feasible holding elections with Mengistu openly attacking Somalia through his proxies or by his own army. In fact, MSB was the best person available at the time to handle Mengistu. MSB (AUN) managed to stay toe-to-toe with him even when his rival was getting supported with billions of dollars from the USSR whereas he was only getting millions with the condition his army stay on the defense.

MSB stepping down wouldn't have stopped Mengistu from trying to destroy the republic nor would have gotten the Ethiopian backed rebels to give up.
Agreed. I think he should have stepped down around 1988.

TSP:

MSB (AUN) managed to stay toe-to-toe with him even when his rival was getting supported with billions of dollars from the USSR whereas he was only getting millions with the condition his army stay on the defense.

I dont agree with you. Somali army was stronger than Ethiopian army until 1978. According CIA documents, Somali troops were no match for Ethiopians in 1983.

Check out this document.

ETHIOPIA-SOMALIA: CONTINUING MILITARY IMBALANCE IN THE OGADEN

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP84S00552R000300100003-4.pdf

This is a serious document, I hope to see polite answers because I am not insulting anyone here.

@Bohol said it best, Siad Barre destroyed the trust of the ppl with his dictatorship, all those developments under him were all thanks to the cold war between the US and Soviets, he just happened to be the leader at the time when those developments took place,

The trust of ppl and free election is way way more important than those developments we had, many poor countries come back from poverty via freedom of election and trust between ppl. Once a dictator takes a hold of a country and insists on ruling with brute force, the end result almost always turns out to be ugly and the effects gets passed down generations. the guy literally destroyed the most important component we had that couldve prevented tribalism which was the passing down of the presidency peacefully.

Last edited:

Xooshdheere

how do i use this
TSP:

MSB (AUN) managed to stay toe-to-toe with him even when his rival was getting supported with billions of dollars from the USSR whereas he was only getting millions with the condition his army stay on the defense.

I dont agree with you. Somali army was stronger than Ethiopian army until 1978. According CIA documents, Somali troops were no match for Ethiopians in 1983.

Check out this document.

ETHIOPIA-SOMALIA: CONTINUING MILITARY IMBALANCE IN THE OGADEN

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP84S00552R000300100003-4.pdf

This is a serious document, I hope to see polite answers because I am not insulting anyone here.
Do you support the decision of Cuba sending 15-16k foot soldiers to east Africa?

I dont support Cuban decision, because this conflict was not a Cuban problem. The war was between Ethiopia and Somalia and both have to solve their problems without external interference.

But 16,000 Cubans played an important role defeating Somalia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending